Quantcast

Will there be any Air Play & Mirroring like streaming feature any time soon?

Discussion in 'Google TV Feature Wish Lists' started by liquidain7, Nov 5, 2011.

1. liquidain7

liquidain7 New Member

This is a killer feature and would love to see it on my Google TV!!

This should be easily implemented via the Google TV App.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Actually, the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update enables the DLNA Push compatibility for the Sony Internet TVs. This allows DLNA clients with "Play to" functionality to push content to your television similar to Air Play for ATV.

3. liquidain7

liquidain7 New Member

EFERZ, Thanks. So if I understand this correctly, the developer of a particular app will need to enable "DNLA Push" within their app. How about for "Mirroring" functionality, will that be on a app by app basis, or will this need to be implemented at the OS level?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Correct. However, its not as easy as just "enabling" a check mark. They will need to program the required DLNA push capabilities.

No clue. I'm hoping someone can will eventually develop that functionality but there's nothing apparent at the moment.

5. liquidain7

liquidain7 New Member

Thanks Again Eferz. Much Appreciated.

It would be nice if the "DNLA Push" feature was native, or baked into to the OS directly, that way apps wouldn't be reliant on the developer to add that functionality. One example that comes to mind, is my Verizon NFL app which allows me to watch Sunday and Monday Night football on my mobile phone. I don't see them going through the extra steps to enable "DNLA Push", but if it were native (baked in) to the OS, then I could stream that content directly to my Google TV. This would allow me to watch it on the big screen without having to be dependent on them adding that functionality to their app, which I would venture to guess they would never do for monetary reasons.

I hope Google realizes the value in having "Mirroring" as part of it's Google TV suite. It would be a killer feature to include with the Google TV remote app. This would, in effect, allow Google TV users to do what I describe above, while taking the developer requirement out of the picture.

Hope someone from Google is reading this! :}

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I believe you mean baked in to the Application Programming Interface (API) of Google TV Software Developers Kit (SDK).

That would be analogous to how Apple's iOS SDK has the AirPlay property of an active MPMoviePlayerController object. Setting the property to YES allows the movie player to push the movie to an AirPlay compatible device and presents the user with a control for sending the video to that hardware. There are a lot of things that Apple does in the developer side of things which promotes the use of their proprietary technology.

Whereas, DLNA capabilities of Google TV are using open standards and widely available industry specifications. Even though Google TV SDK might not have easy to implement APIs for DLNA, the programmers themselves should recognize that taking steps to implement its capabilities will have an affect on a much wider variety of products.

7. liquidain7

liquidain7 New Member

Very well put! Thanks Again Eferz!