Quantcast

Will the G2 series ever get the Jellybean update?

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by JohnnyAstro, Dec 20, 2013.

1. JohnnyAstro

JohnnyAstro New Member

Owner of a 55G2, and anxiously awaiting the Jellybean update. Since it has been a while since it has been released, I thought I would check with LG support to see what the holdup was. This was my response.

To be honest with you, we do not have an update if G2 series will receive the jellybean update. But we already released the update since last week of October. The release of the update is per area as well.

So does anyone know if the G2 series will ever be updated?

2. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

well its definitely not per area...maybe it was rolled out by the serial numbers...in stages, usually its like 10%, 30%, 60%, etc...

but i would agree that the update should be coming soon. ill call LG support now to see what they say..

ok they just told me that they do not have a timeframe. they are basing their comments on the fact that when the jellybean update was announced back in May(ish) that it mentioned 2012 and 2013 models...they told me that they will send an email up the chain and see what info they get...

3. JohnnyAstro

JohnnyAstro New Member

Thank you for checking!

4. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

My G2 (2012) just got the jelly Bean update!!

exact same menu as the GA series from 2013

• Like Like x 4
  5. ericd

ericd Active Member

Glad to hear some progress for someone:). Hopefully this is a precursor to some big announcements from CES

6. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

does any one know how to get into the Boot menu of the GTV? G2 or GA series...

on an LG android phone you would hold down power and Vol+ and the boot menu would appear....

7. Lakedubvt

Lakedubvt New Member

Just got the 4.2.2 update on my G2

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  8. ericd

ericd Active Member

I'm not sure how to get to the boot menu but if you go to settings>customer support> Build number then click center button until the countdown ends (I think it takes 6 clicks, but can't remember) you'll open a new set of developer options under settings< application< developer options

Edit this is on a GA series. Not sure if it works on the G2

9. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I don't think there will be any progress on the JB update until after CES and any formal announcement of rebranding from Google TV to Android TV

10. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

The 4.2.2 update came down for me today as well (47G2). i see they finally listened to me and who ever else mentioned it and added a DLNA client to the set, and they also listened and tried to make the 3D functionality accessible across the various apps, but i don't feel they implemented it correctly though.. I fear this is the last update we will see so i'm thankful for what we got..

• Like Like x 4
  11. JohnnyAstro

JohnnyAstro New Member

Just got mine too! I guess that answers the original question!

12. Lakedubvt

Lakedubvt New Member

Liking the update so far. All apps I have side loaded seem to work but not all will stream.

Apps that work: Watch ESPN and Xfinity Comcast

Apps that load but won't stream video are HBO Go and Showtime Anytime

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

13. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

ive been looking around and it seems like some people are having issues after the update like the magic remote not working and the audio amplifier not working...

here are some steps to help..
    1. Press and hold both the ‘Home’ and ‘Back’ buttons until the red light starts blinking then let go of the buttons
    2. Press the Mouse/Cursor/Zoom button and you should see a message on the screen that says something like ‘New Magic Remote has been registered’

No Sound out of Audio Amplifier
    1.Go to ‘Home’
    2.Got to ‘Settings’ (the gear icon)
    3.Once in Settings, go to ‘Sound’
    4.Once in Sound, go to ‘Speaker’
    5.Once in speaker make sure the little box next to ‘Audio Amplifier’ is checked (should have a pink check mark)

if all else fails factory reset the TV 'Initial Setting;

14. libpisc

libpisc New Member

Hello everyone,

i also noticed that google has pulled the flash support in the new update, and you cannot stream any flash through chrome any more. Anybody has an idea to stream flash in 4.2.2.?

15. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You can try sideloading some alternate browsers. You could try Firefox along with downloading a Flash APK. Some other web browsers such as Puffin use their own cloud solution for Flash - so there's no need to download a Flash APK with Puffin:

Puffin Web Browser - The fastest mobile browser with Flash support over cloud on iPad, iPhone and Android.

Keep in mind that while some of these solutions will 'work' for some users - it's been reported by LG GTV users (on Jellybean) that the video quality really isn't very good with the Flash workarounds. This is because the GTV devices on Honeycomb have a custom version of Flash - developed by Adobe especially to run on GTV. So the Flash quality is much better on GTV Honeycomb.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  16. ericd

ericd Active Member

HBO put out an update a couple weeks ago that killed streaming on my LG 6400. I had to revert to an older version https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0lt7msic1gtc3u/HBO%20Go%20v2.0.1.apk It's a little choppy and you have to wait for the video to load, then raise and lower the volume to get rid of the player menu.

This version of Showtime https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrdpoi4tlizpajr/SHOAnytime_2.1.1.apk works good for me

• Like Like x 2