Quantcast

Will Sony's NSZ-GT1 control a Kworld external ATSC tuner box?

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by djangofan, Dec 21, 2010.

1. djangofan

djangofan New Member

I don't have Comcast cable nor DirectTV and I was wondering if the IR Blaster that comes with the Google TV would be able to control a 3rd party external HD tuner , such as this one or a SlingMedia tuner DVR? I want to enjoy picture-in-picture HD without having to subscribe to TV.

Kworld SA295-Q DE ( website ) .

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. HeathNutso

HeathNutso New Member

Nobody has replied yet so..

No, the NSZ-GT1 will not control any tuner other than the ones used by the major cable and satellite providers. The remote has no learning functions so there is no way to "train" the remote to control other units.

Also, the NSZ-GT1 does not have DVI or RGB inputs so the unit you speak of can't be connected to the box.

3. djangofan

djangofan New Member

Its a sad sad world. A DVI connection can be converted (using an adapter) to/from HDMI . The only difference is the audio feed, but I do hear ya when you say it cant be trained to just any device i pick. I wish Google TV would recommend something to people in my position.

Maybe this HDMI receiver would work:
    Samsung DTBH260F HDTV Terrestrial Receiver

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  4. HeathNutso

HeathNutso New Member

That would work for the pip while browsing the web. But, again you have to use the remote for that unit to control what channels you're watching. The Sony remote won't do it.

I'm in much the same boat as you. I get most of my TV from C-Band satellite and hoped to control my receiver with the IR blaster that's built into the Sony. The fact that I can't is probably my biggest disappointment with the NSZ-GT1. I'm hoping an app comes out that allows me to at least program the basic buttons (power, channel up/down) for my receiver.

5. srk0629

srk0629 New Member

My current setup is:
    ATSC Tuner(Digiwave DTV-5000HD) --> NSZ-GT1-->Sony TV

Ran the setup again and ran through all available codes but the Sony remote keypad doesn't control my ATSC Tuner. Documentation that came with this unit provides NEC Codes for this receiver.

But it looks like there is no way to add codes at this time. I am hoping that Sony/Google adds more codes.