Quantcast

Will NSZ GS8 get Android 4.2 update?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by jgariano, Oct 12, 2013.

1. jgariano

jgariano New Member

I'm thinking about getting the NSZ GS8. At Google IO '13, there was news about a Google TV (or Android TV, as they might start calling it) upgrade to 4.2 Jelly Bean. LG apparently plans on updating their Google TV units this year to the new 4.2 version. Can we expect the NSZ GS8 will get the same upgrade?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is when that is unclear.

3. retroben

retroben Active Member

To clear everything up,remember that the Sony NSZ-GS7 is now proved to be Sony NSZ-GS8 ever since REL10.
    This would mean that if the GS8 box gets the update,the GS7 box should also get the update which makes me happy.

As long as we get so much as a similar update with JellyBean and NDK I am fine with it.

What pisses me off is that I just can't find the processor specs for the LG Smart TV with Google TV so I can compare them to all the Gen2 STB's already known specs.

These specs for LG would tell you how much of a chance the STBs would get the update.
    If the LG's specs are at least mostly similar,we should definitely get the very same update.

I would really like to see a performance comparison between the Sony box and the LG Smart TV.
    The Sony NSZ-GS7 is capable of running the update shown as a hacked ROM since CJ Heres "proved it" in his twitter post.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  4. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

Officially Sony has said nothing which is slightly concerning. The fact they released the GS8 at all is proof however that they are committed to the platform. Technically and according to Google's own words the GS7/8 should be getting the update.

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

That's certainly part of the puzzle, but unless Google steps in, it's all up to Sony and how much more time & effort they want to pour in to the platform. Since the GS8 is still on the market, you'd think they'd do it; but if they decide it simply doesn't run as well as the old firmware they may take a pass.

Heck, a number of us have already reached the conclusion that the current hardware isn't fast enough for the current firmware.

Also something to consider is that when old functionality no longer works (such as access to Flash based web sites), end users aren't going to listen to Google's explanations, they're going to complain to Sony.

And if Sony does upgrade the firmware, based on past experience, we can expect them to take their sweet time about it.

So, for now we've been taking it for granted that we'll get the upgrade on the Sony based on comments from Google, but it's Sony who will ultimately decide.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO if Sony still has hopes for the NSZ-GS8 to be a market success - it certainly would be in Sony's best interest to get the Jellybean update rolled out in time for the holiday shopping season. The holiday shopping season officially begins the day after Thanksgiving - which is roughly 6 weeks away - and it's the busiest shopping day of the year. IMO if Sony misses getting Jellybean unto their GTV boxes in time for the holidays - it will just be another thing to add to the long list of marketing failures that plague GTV.

Perhaps it won't necessarily be the death blow for the GS8 (if they don't update by the holidays) - but the competition is ramping up for the holiday season. I believe Xbox One gets released on November 22nd. A rumored Amazon set-top box is due out for the holidays. Some shoppers that were looking to buy a GTV box with Jellybean for Christmas - will probably look elsewhere if Sony drags it's heals with the update.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  7. drhill

drhill Member

Traditionally, Sony has been good and punctual with updates with GTV devices.

8. Travel

Travel Active Member

When I called
    Right, Sony has been the best for reliability. When I had the Revue it seemed that, when Sony actually installed an update, then it was a question of whether Logitech would do it, too, and... when? Sony seems to be the manufacturer to look to for leading the way. However, it is getting a little aggravating at this point with no word of any action even with the LG TV updates.

When I called Sony last week they did say that they were working on "figuring-out the system" for the Jelly Bean update; not sure if any of the other box manufacturers would be able to say the same.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  9. chopper

chopper Active Member

Sony is the gold standard for prompt GTV updates.

10. drhill

drhill Member

Travel unlikely that you spoke with someone in the engineering team or product management. While support people can be helpful, they won't know a ton about unreleased products and updates.

11. jonw747

lol, maybe if they actually promoted it?

I mean, saying they now have Jelly Bean is almost meaningless from a marketing POV. What they would need to do is sell Apps, streaming options, ease of use, MiraCast, PrimeTime integration, voice input .. something, that would differentiate the product and distract people from just buying another Roku or Apple Tv.

And IMO, they still don't have the box to really go all out with. The 2nd generation boxes are simply underpowered to present the sort of snappy UI that consumers expect to see these days.

So, if Sony was all-in, I have no doubt they would have released new H/W in the GS8 rather than just including the new remote. They're doing enough to stay in the game. For now.

For the non-mainstream consumer market, the Android Tv dongles are knocking on the door. Assuming the RockChip hardware they all use isn't just fundamentally flawed in some way, they may be only a firmware revision away from having a solid and ridiculously cheap HTPC replacement.

12. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I doubt the GS7/8 has much of a future compared to their HDMI product, but you never know. Sony has to get the GS7 upgraded so it can show off some new capabilities of the unit. If they don't do it soon then it may be too late to overcome the Roku and ATV numbers.

The problem Sony has, no matter what they do, is pricing. $100 seems to be at the top end of what people are willing to pay, especially since TV's/ Blu-ray players now come with streaming capabilities.

The $500 price of the Xbox One would seem to doom it as a media player, especially given the required annual network fee that Microsoft charges. Roku and Apple seem to understand that people just want something simple and inexpensive, not the works.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

13. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, actually, the customer service guy had to leave the phone three times to "find-out" the answers to my questions. So, the answers came from somewhere beyond "support" pay grade. Unless he was a particularly uniformed support-guy and he had to ask a fellow support-guy who didn't know much more. I report, you decide.

14. drhill

drhill Member

He could have been asking the guy next to him.

15. jonw747

I don't doubt that Sony has people looking at the new code and how it could be made to work on the GS7/GS8, but that's just the first step in the process. If all goes well, we'll get our update, but things don't always go well, and sometimes even when they do ... upper management decides to go another direction.

16. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

That would really be disappointing. Always possible but I doubt Sony would do that. Heck, they supported the Dash beyond any reasonable timeframe. That is the difference between a company that stands behind its products and one that just wants to put out a cheap product with zero support.

Philip

17. jonw747

I know. I bought a Sony GS7 and paid more for it than competing devices partially because I trusted Sony to support it and get things right, and everything we've heard has been that it's going to happen ... but times change, and companies have become much quicker to abandon non-profitable paths. After all, Sony did announce the Blu-Ray version of the GS7 and then canned it, and while the GS8 is fresh on the market, they didn't exactly invest much in to it.

If Google had been working hand in hand with Sony (and the other manufacturers) then we should have seen a simultaneous release, and the fact they haven't, tells me that this is instead a work in progress. It actually would have been pretty cool if we could have run some beta versions of JB along the way and helped both Google and Sony get this right.

18. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

I agree pmcd...

Sony always supported Google TV and is a company that stands behind its products.

I am the owner of 6 Logitech Revue + 1 Sony NSZ-GT1, and decided to replace all of them by 7 SONY NSZ-GS8, So like many of you, I am desperately waiting for this update every day!

The real problem with GTV is that while everyone is talking about the New Android KITKAT, we are extremely backward...

I really hope that this time SONY will not disappoint me, and they release the update soon.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Travel

Travel Active Member

Ya, I covered that possibility in my response. Please reread.

On the other hand he most likely asked his supervisor who, because of the significance of the Jelly Bean update, probably had a prepared, official statement on the status of the update; which I related in my original post.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  20. jonw747

"We're figuring out the system" doesn't sound like a prepared official statement. It's just the expected next step after Google has handed them the code.