Quantcast

Will NFL Game Rewind Work With GTV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 29, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever tried the NFL Game Rewind with GTV?

I follow an out of town NFL team - and other than NFL Sunday Ticket with Direct TV (which has exclusive NFL rights for all out-of-market games) - the NFL Rewind sounds like a great deal. The games aren't live - but are available as a replay in their entirety shortly after the live games are over. And the price of $39.95 for an entire season is a big savings over NFL Ticket with Direct TV.

In the technical requirements section - is says Flash 10.1 (or higher) is required. It mentions nothing about Chrome - but I've read on the internet that it worked for people with a Chrome browser.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?ttv=7&ttp=1

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  3. CatfishRivers

On the NFL.com web site - all of their on demand videos work with my Revue in standard definition. However all of their videos say that in order to unlock HQ video quality it is necessary to download the "Akamai NetSession Interface". (That Akamai download won't work with my Revue).

So I'm wondering if this Akamai download is required to watch the NFL Rewind games in HQ? Here is a link to a brief promotional video from NFL.com about their NFL Rewind service. As you can see it plays OK in SD - but requires the Akamai download to view in HQ:

NFL Videos: NFL Game Rewind
    (click for video about NFL Rewind)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  4. tomm1079

tomm1079 New Member

i been wanting to purchase this but been holding off to hear if it works with Google TV.

5. rdb4133

rdb4133 New Member

I'd be curious if this works as well.

6. chucktownriver

chucktownriver New Member

It does not... I purchased NFL preseason in hopes to use my Sony Google TV to stream preseason games, but of course with this big piece of crap it will stream for about 20 minutes then i get an ah snap shockwave crash. This was the last straw for me. I just listed my google tv on ebay, and i'm now in the market for a boxee.. Good luck!

7. CatfishRivers

How was the overall video quality before you got the Shockwave crash? Does it stream in HQ without requiring to download any software?

8. chucktownriver

chucktownriver New Member

Yes.. Video was HD quality, and it didn't require me to download anything. I just can't handle the crashes..

• Like Like x 2
  9. tomm1079

tomm1079 New Member

so it does work then...just had a memory leak crash. So basically if a person could put up with a crash every 20 mins or so it would work

10. jamllew

jamllew New Member

Hi, I have the new Sony box and live in the UK. Not sure if this will be of any help to anyone but I have had no crashes so far using NFL Game Pass International to watch pre-season games. Hope it lasts!

11. CatfishRivers

On the Revue forum the mods recommend the following procedure to improve the Shockwave crash problem. Have you tried these recommendations on your Sony GTV device? Some Revue users say they notice improvement:

1) Open the Google Chrome.
    2) Click the Menu button (located on the keyboard between Alt and Ctrl keys).
    3) Go to Settings.
    4) Scroll down until you see the option Clear saved browsing data
    5) Click the Ok key in order to clear your browsing memory.
    6) Scroll to the top again.
    7) Select Advanced settings.
    8) Go to Under the Hood (located on the left side menu).
    9) Click on Adobe Flash Player storage settings link
    10) Under Website Storage Settings Panel click on the Delete all sites button
    11) Confirm the Pop-up message.
    12) Go to the Settings Manager List in the left hand-side
    13) Select Global Storage Settings panel.
    14) Inside the panel that opened (at the center of the screen) you should see a horizontal scrool-bar.
    15) Scroll the box to the right until it says Unlimited.
    16) Press and hold on your keyboard Alt+Ctrl+DEL until your Revue Keyboard in order to save the settings.

12. zen2go

zen2go New Member

I too have the NFL Preseason package and have not experienced any Shockwave crashes so far.

13. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Most important based on my experience is to first have only one window open, just hit the menu button and close any others open if you have been jumping around with several open. The steps suggested by Logitech are good precautions. I rarely see the crash but unfortunately it is easy to put the first gen Google TV boxes in a state that will result in the crash and it doesn't require doing anything extraordinary to result in that overloaded state. I figured out a long time ago how to avoid frequent crashes as well as how to avoid putting the box in a state where it won't perform well, but it is easy to get rid of the box for some, rather than follow the simple steps.

I don't use NFL Rewind and can't say if there is something special about that site compared to the sites I do use but I doubt if that is the case.

14. CatfishRivers

ChrisG8 wrote: "I don't use NFL Rewind and can't say if there is something special about that site compared to the sites I do use but I doubt if that is the case."

---------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't used NFL Game Rewind yet either. However I've researched and used some of the "alternatives". First off using OTA with an antenna won't get me the out-of-market games from a different city that I want.

Next we have the only other "legal" alternative for NFL out-of-market games called "NFL Sunday Ticket" - which requires a Direct TV subscription and is quite expensive ( I believe NFL Sunday Ticket costs $199 for the season.)

Beyond that we have web sites that offer free pirated streams of NFL games - namely FirstRowSports and VIPBox. Last season and this pre-season I have used those 2 sites as last resorts - because I had no other alternative to get the game that I wanted. However I will say that video quality is often sub-par, there are often video & audio glitches, sometimes streams go down in the middle of the game or start well after the game has begun. And the biggest annoyance is all the pop-ups that cover up the screen - and trying to get the pop-ups removed successfully so the screen isn't blocked. This can be a real chore. Frankly I'm fed up with the hassle of it - and I will be giving NFL Game Rewind a try for the regular season.

If you have any alternatives that you feel are better than NFL Game Rewind (other than those that I have mentioned) - please post for all to see. -:)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  15. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

NFL Sunday Ticket is a loss leader for DirecTV, it is believed the customers will stay and actually subscribe to services that are profitable but the fees collected from subscribers specifically for NFL Sunday Ticket don't begin to cover the billions DirecTV pays the NFL. I think eventually DirecTV will come to the conclusion it is a money loser period and will let the NFL try to sell their product in the open market and see if it generates that kind of revenue and that could mean all pay TV services will get a chance or the NFL will try an internet business. For now, there is nothing for a consumer wanting access to those games live that is any good so DirecTV Sunday Ticket is the only good option. If you want to watch delayed broadcasts, NFL Rewind sounds like the best option and the price is pretty reasonable. I hope the Revue will work well with the service but I have never tried. I do know despite all of the complaints I see here and elsewhere about Google TV in general and the Revue specifically, I can make it work well enough that I am happy and I suspect I could make it work with NFL Rewind if there is no deal killer like requiring a Flash Player version it doesn't have.

For my NFL viewing, I am happy with an antenna on the roof since I can find a game of interest to watch most weeks.

16. pakrnut

pakrnut New Member

I had experienced the shockwave crash as well. However, I tried it a few different ways and it only happened when I used the cursor a lot (full screen, scrolling, etc...). When I just let the game play, it worked great and played the whole game without crashing.

17. CatfishRivers

I just signed up for NFL Game Rewind about an hour ago - and I can't get it to work at all.

I'm on a Logitech Revue (OS 3.1)

When I click to view a game or to launch the Game Rewind interface I get these 2 messages on my screen:

1) RSL Error 3 of 4

2) error #2046

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm surprised because everyone that posted here said it worked on their GTV. Any suggestions?

I've e-mailed their customer support. If there is no solution hopefully at least they will refund my $39.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm. I came across this information about RSL #2046 errors:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=157670104293572

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  18. CatfishRivers

OK I got it to work. The trick was tip number 5 (from the article about RSL #2046 errors - that I posted the link for above):

"5. Adjust the Adobe Flash Player global settings"

I went to my settings and Un-checked the "Store common Flash components to reduce download times" (from the Adobe Flash Player Global Settings).

I just watched part of a game from 2011. Video quality was excellent. I haven't experienced any shockwave crashes yet.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  19. zen2go

zen2go New Member

Congrats! Good to hear. NFL Rewind is such a cool product.

20. CatfishRivers

I just watched the full Dallas Cowboys vs. New York Giants game from last night (with NFL Game Rewind - on my Logitech Revue OS 3.1).

I had 4 Shockwave crashes. One towards the end of each quarter. On three of the Schockwave crashes my Chrome app forced closed and my Revue rebooted. I then had to log back in to the NFL Game Rewind site and find the place in the game where my viewing was interrupted by the crash.

Overall of course it would be better without Shockwave crashes - but video quality is excellent and I still find it a better alternative than sites such as FirstRowSports - which have lousy video quality and annoying popups. Plus I like the fact that I can watch the games whenever I want as they are recorded (as opposed to live).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012