Quantcast

Will it play a MKV / DTS video and sound file Streaming from PC

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by mjth17, Dec 15, 2011.

1. mjth17

mjth17 New Member

I had the revue and sold it because of lack of DTS support. The revue played all of my mkv files (usb external hard drive hook up directly to the revue, or through streaming from home pc dnla network, but no sound because of lack of revue DTS support). If this device is essential the same as the revue, minus blu ray player and it supports dts ...Will this device play my mkv files (video and sound) through usb external hard drive or through home pc dnla network? I asked this question on Best B.com website a guy from sony said "Yes MKV files will play via USB with audio if the drive is formatted to FAT32. DLNA does not support MKV"....Is this the case? Thanks for you help.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Maybe.

Sort of good so far...

Wrong! Go directly to jail. Do not collect $200. LOL

So, basically, the MKV extension is indicator that the MatrosKa Video (MKV) container is used. This is defines how the different streams inside the file are interleaved to provide a linear timeline between them. All Google TV devices understands how to read fragmented streams inside this format, regardless if it is streamed over DLNA, SMB, or accessed locally via USB. The issue of compatibility for this file type comes down to the encoded audio and video streams inside.

The Sony Blu-Ray Player (NSZ-GT1) is currently the only Google TV device that support DTS. This is because Sony licensed the DTS codec for this particular device because it is necessary for compatibility of DVD and Blu-Ray disc formats.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  3. mjth17

mjth17 New Member

Thanks...It looks like I am buying it!

4. drhill

drhill Member

I really wish Google had setup codec support in a way that you could just buy codecs from the market. I'm talking all android, not just GTV. Supporting free codecs and major non free codecs is all good, but if it only cost me another $20 a device or so to have every tool in the box I'd be happy.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I agree and even posted this question,

6. drhill

drhill Member

Their response wasn't great, but they are only considering the Revue which they don't even want to support anymore. Of course people with the Sony GTV tv's would probably like DTS support too. Same thing with android tablets.