Quantcast

Will GTV work for me outside the USA

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by alzakx, Oct 12, 2012.

1. alzakx

alzakx New Member

Hi,

I just wanted to ask this question. I searched the forum and could not get the answer I was looking for. Maybe it was asked , sorry if this is a repeat question.

The thing is, I want to get the Sony Bluray GTV1. I live outside the USA and I was wondering if, with the help of StrongVPN, use the GTV to the fullest in my country. We don't have the same cable providers as the US, but we do have digital cable. My theory is that if I connect my digital cable settop box to the GTV and use StrongVPN I will be able to get it to work. My biggest doubt is if the Search app will work with live tv content. Does GTV pulls data from the cable settop and parses it to show it on search results? Or does it rely on the location (ZIP code) and cable provided to pull the data from somewhere else?

How would I be able to configure a location during setup if I'm not in the US? I have a good idea where my cable provider pulls its feed, since NBC shows Fort Lauderdale local news i'd say its located there, however, not all channels come from the US, we also have south american channels and such. Will those show up on Search results?

Also, my cable provider gives me a DVR capable settop box, would that also work with GTV's DVR features and Pay-Per-View content?

Please help.

If I cannot get Search to pull results from my listings at my cable provider then its a deal breaker for me. I live in Costa Rica and my provider is CableTica.

Thanks.

2. barrym07

barrym07 New Member

If you use a VPN it will work properly. I used to live in Japan and I used strongvpn to get content on my googletv. GoogleTV gets the channel line up info from your ZIP code and then you select your cable provider.

For your other questions, IDK.

3. guest

guest Active Member

The stronvpn .com is $7.00 pr month. I'm curious whether something similar is available in the Google Play Store (or sideloadable) as an application. Here's a free VPN product (free for 600? hours or so). Free VPN - CNET Download.com

4. BrettDaren

BrettDaren New Member

Yes with the assistance of good VPN connection GTV easily work outside USA. Hidemyass and strongVPN are good options