Quantcast

Will Google TV work abroad as advertised on the internet or their ads?

Discussion in 'Google TV FAQs' started by GASTON, Nov 3, 2010.

1. GASTON

GASTON New Member

I live in Central America.. My guess would be that Google TV will work if I have Internet Access & a Cable Box with DVR's. I pretty sure my DVR will not be compatible with google TV so after doing some research my bet is that I should buy a Sony Internet TV...

The thing is... what will happen when I hook up my Motorola Dual-Tuner DVR High-Definition Set-Top DCT6412 from my local Cable provider and Sony Internet google TV enabled television.. I am unsure that everything will work propperly... Anybody care to give some advice?

Thanks

2. tobias

tobias New Member

Even though Google TV is sold right now only in the US, you can operate the TVs also from outside the US. Some of the video streaming services won't work however. They check your IP address and block everything that is not US. Standard Apps like e.g. Chrome work fine.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Can you do me a favor and point out to me where it is advertised that Google TV works abroad? As I understand, both Sony and Logitech's Google TV products were specifically meant for United States. One of the reasons is that the "What's on", "TV & Movies", and Search results for Google TV are dependent having a valid U.S. zip code.

Now, I'm not saying it cannot be used outside of the United States as tobias suggests. There are quite a few people whom use Google TV products outside of the United States with a limited capacity. I'd just like where and who is advertising it as a feature of the product, since it has yet to be released in any market outside of the United States.

4. Transforpang

Transforpang New Member

Google need to think about non-English speaking users. It doesn't support Chinese

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That will be addressed with the internationalization of the platform. I believe they working on it to be available sometime in next year.

6. tobias

tobias New Member

That's not a problem of Google. Android Honeycomb has been localized to Chinese. A list of available localizations can be found on Googles developer page: developer.android.com/sdk/android-3.0.html#locs.

While Google TV is only offers in the US, I guess the TV vendors simply don't see a point in offering a TV there with a Chines user interface.