Quantcast

Will An HDMI To Composite Converter Work with Google TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 6, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of people tell me they have an older TV and they weren't wanting to purchase a new HD television - but they were still wondering if there was any way to use Google TV with their older television. My first instinct was to say NO (because Google TV requires an HDMI port on the television). Then I did a bit of research and found products like this one on Amazon (it's called an HDMI to Composite/S-video converter). Does anyone know if this would work with Google TV? Amazon.com: HDMI to Composite /S-Video Converter 3RCA CRT TV CVBS: Electronics

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

It would work, but the resolution isn't good. Text would be very fuzzy, perhaps not even readable...

3. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I think component (if they have it) would be preferable. :)

4. galfert

galfert Active Member

Well I consider myself an expert in with this matter. HDMI to composite will not work because there is not enough resolution in a composite signal to have the Google TV output be readable (just as Danger-Rat says). And as Alpahwave7 suggested although there are some HDMI to Component adapters this too will not work for just about every adapter available on the market. The problem with HDMI to Component is not for lack or resolution but because just about every HDMI to Component adapter does not handle the HDCP (encrypted copyright HD protection). Those HDMI to Component adapters are only meant for some console game devices and not our Google TV devices that pass through and support an HDMI signal with HDCP protection. So with that all said there is only one device that will work (that I know of) to convert HDMI with HDCP to Component and I own it so I'm proof that it works. This device is called the HDFury3 and it is expensive +$250. I would not recommend though because I think most people would be better off spending the money on a new TV. I bought the HDFury3 not because my TV doesn't have HDMI (it does), but rather because I had a special need. I needed to pass the Google TV through a Slingbox and then to my TV so that I could continue to be able to access my DRV through my Slingbox (since Slingbox does not have HDMI input and Component output from DVR is disabled when you plug in the Google TV HDMI connection). Trust me I've spent a good deal amount of time researching this very issue. Now go out a buy a new TV.

My setup (picture looks perfect HD 1080i converted to 1080p by reciever's Faroudja chip):
    Cable Box --> Revue Google TV --> HDFury3 --> Slingbox --> Reciever --> TV

Cable Box output = HDMI 1080p
    Revue output = HDMI 1080p
    HDFury3 output = component 1080i
    Slingbox output = component 1080i
    Reciever output = HDMI 1080p

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have never tried one of these HDMI to composite converters - so I can't claim it does or doesn't work good based on personal experience. But here is a thread on the Logitech Revue forum where a user purchased one of these converters for $49.99 and he says it works great with his 10 year old Sharp TV: Re: Use Logitech Revue with SDTV? - Logitech Forums

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I saw the same post, but the words, "it works great", is a subjective statement not objective. In order for this device to work, it will need to downscale the video from 720p (1280x720) or 1080i (1920x1080) to (480i) 640x480. The results would be a 66 to 86% degradation of picture quality. One might be oblivious to the difference in picture quality in moving pictures, but it will be very apparent in text. Remember his attention to details and level of acceptability determines just how "great" it works for him not others.