Quantcast

WiFi quality

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by jphccfc, Jul 6, 2013.

1. jphccfc

jphccfc New Member

I've decided to replace my revue with the co-star in anticipation of the next gtv release. My revue connected without a problem to my wireless home network and had good speeds to stream high definition. My co-star seems to have the same signal strength but the actual download speeds are very low 1mb compared to 10mb+ on my revue. Are there any tips for being successful with WiFi on the co-star?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

4. jphccfc

jphccfc New Member

Thanks guys tried reboot as well as static ip but still having speed issues with WiFi!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

If possible, avoid WiFi on the Co-Star like you would the Plague ....

6. CatfishRivers

Did you try the speed test with the Chrome browser? Some people said they think the other network speed test on the Co-Star might be defective.

As a troubleshooting measure can you try removing encryption and see if you get the same results.

7. jphccfc

jphccfc New Member

Chrome speedtest.net showed similar low speeds. Thinking about hard wiring.

8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I know sometimes in some situations you cannot avoid using WiFi, but a wired Ethernet CAT 6 cables (For The Fastest Video/Audio Packett Data Transfer) connection is always the best/fastest video/audio packett data stream transfer for the Vizio Co-Star ...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

10. CatfishRivers

Do you use a router/modem combination device? In other words does your ISP supply you a modem with the router built-in? If so then I have a hunch that switching to ethernet using the same modem/router device might not solve your issue completely. But give ethernet a try.

If you read that thread that I linked to about Co-Star speed test - the user "mgm1979" had the same low speed test results with both ethernet & wi-fi. MGM1979 uses a combination modem/router. Thus by logic the problem he experienced is related to the router's interaction with the Co-Star.

If your wired test doesn't improve results - then is there any way you can try connecting directly to modem only (no router/modem combination device)?

As you can see from the following wired Co-Star thread (see link below) - some others with wired internet also still have the slow speed issue. The one constant is that they all use a router/modem combination device:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/7063-wired-internet-co-star.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25219-42-internet-slow-router <---(some slow router tips)

*Note: One of the tips that worked for several people with a slow router was to turn off the firewall.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Follow your hunch and use the wired connection ....

12. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

By all means if you can run ethernet cable to each network device in house, do so, that is best. It would be way to difficult for me, I have about 20 devices connected to my network all by Wi-Fi and get acceptable signal strength and speeds throughout the house. The Vizio Co-Star Wi-Fi works well enough for me, speed tests are around 10-12 Mbps which is faster than any internet streaming source I am aware of and certainly faster than any I use, including Vudu but unfortunately Vudu is broken on the Co-Star right now so I can't confirm it will sustain those speeds for a 2-hour movie without issue.

I know several other streaming boxes on the same network run Vudu without issue and I expect the Co-Star once fixed will do the same. All streaming sources I can access with the Co-Star have worked fine using Wi-Fi. I haven't bothered to check which Wi-Fi chip is used with the Co-Star, if it is any worse or better than the other Google TV boxes and I haven't had any Wi-Fi issues with any of the four Google TV models connected to my network.

13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

The only way I would use a WiFi connection via my Co-Stars are if had too ... That's the only way and I know I have a very strong WiFi signal all over my house ....

14. jphccfc

jphccfc New Member

Thanks for your help. I have just finished hardwiring from my top floor to the lounge and my internet speeds are running consistently and fast. Streaming hd works great now. I just need to get the remote control working with my Motorola hd dvr (standard codes don't work) then everything will be perfect.

15. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

I just bought a second Co-Star for my bedroom and I will be forced to use WiFi with it. In this same position I have successfully used a laptop (with HD) a PS3 and a WD live with no issues. I am not sure why I would expect to experience a lot of issues with the Vizio but I do not have it setup yet. I will report what I find back to this thread for sure and I have 90 days to decide if I will keep it for this room.

16. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

If WiFi doesn't work out for you, use the house wiring plug-in Ethernet plugs works like a charm ...

17. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

Is that the same as Ethernet over Power lines? If so I have thought of that and would check it out for sure before I return the Vizio. Just trying to save on costs. I wont be doing a ton of HD form this TV and most just my wife watching TV shows but if I can get the quality bar raised without spending a lot of money that would be great.

Thanks Wisdom

18. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Yes, Ethernet Over Power Lines and go here http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...io-co-star-reviews-your-hands-experience.html .... Read up on tips for the Vizio Co-Star, take care ..

19. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

another option might be a wireless bridge... not sure which would cost you less... basic idea is that IT would terminate the Wifi and provide several wired jacks at the location of your Co-Star.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

• Like Like x 2