Quantcast

Wifi not working after update

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by LBNL, Nov 1, 2011.

1. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

They're referring to your public IP address. The one that they assigned to the outside port that's marked "WAN" of your router. I'm not suggesting that you change that because you would have to pay an extra charge for them to assign you a public facing static IP address. Besides it would be irrelevant to your issue.

I'm referring to you configuring a static IP address onto your Sony NSZ-GT1. The problem might be that the Google TV is having a problem with your router's Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server for your local network. The DHCP server is responsible for assigning the IP address information to your different devices. If it cannot communicate properly with your router's DHCP server then would be unable to obtain the IP address setup information required to participate in your local network.

You can bypass this incompatibility by setting a static IP address on your Google TV Blu-ray player.

• Like Like x 2
  2. bngsmith

bngsmith New Member

Thank you, that is exactly what had to happen. I am not too savvy with this sort of stuff so I called Sony and they were able to remote into my computer and help me assign the static ip information to allow my TV to connect. Everything works perfect! The TV was able to find the SSID, but not obtain the IP address because of this glitch.

**Sony also stated that they are aware of the update glitch and are working on it. We should see an update soon.**

Thanks everyone!

• Like Like x 2
  3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

4. MatthewM951

MatthewM951 New Member

I just purchased a Sony Google TV NSX24GT1 and I am trying to connect to the internet using my iPhone personal hotspot. It shows the network, and I enter the password, but it then gets stuck onto the "Connecting to Matthew's iPhone..." and never completes the connection. I've tried doing a factory reset, but that did not work either. Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance! :)

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It might be a problem with the type of security protocol or dhcp issues which have been found in the original 3.1 update. If it is the security protocol try setting your WiFi Hotspot to a less secure protocol like WEP to see if that is the issue. If it is then try using the different protocols available to you to determine which ones are compatible.

If it is the DHCP problem then you can manually set it in GTV Settings > Wi-Fi > Long Key Press of SSID under Wi-Fi Networks > Modify network and at the bottom you can switch it from DHCP to Static and provide the manual settings of the IP address information. Otherwise, you can wait to get the update that's listed in this post: Google TV 2.0 Update Screenshots on Sony Internet TV

6. ricko600

ricko600 New Member

I just received my NSX46GT1 yesterday. How can I determine if the GTV 2.0 Update is in place?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Google TV 2.0 aka Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update will either be on of two releases found in GTV Settings > About > Build number:

1. 2011111402_AAV_ORSC_20111114111323 (November 1th, 2011)
    2. 2011102306_AAV_ORSC.20111023214229 (October 23rd, 2011)

8. atlas

atlas New Member

I have my NS7-GT1, and I am not having any issues connecting to my Wifi N router (even after updating it). It's the Cisco E2000 router. Using 2.4Ghz band, on setup to accept N protocol only.

My problem is with my Logitech Revue. After the update I am having issues connecting to the same Wifi router. The Revue just sits their waiting for an IP address from the router. Ill discuss more about this in the dedicated Revue thread.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Revue is experiencing similar if not the same DHCP and WiFi issues as Sony's Google TV devices. Sony addressed the DHCP issues in their recent update, 2011111402_AAV_ORSC_20111114111323 (November 1th, 2011). However, Logitech is still gathering information with intent to resolve it. In the mean time, you should try setting a static IP address instead of waiting for a dynamic one from the DHCP server. Actually, it might even be better if you call Logitech Technical Support or participate in their technical support forums.

10. Huffmeister

Huffmeister New Member

I just bought an NSZ-GT1 (set top) a few days ago and having been having WiFi issues from the beginning. During the initial software update (when you power it on for the first time), the download froze around 10% and stayed there for about 30 minutes. So I hit the back button and tried again. This time it downloaded within a couple of minutes and the rest of the setup went smoothly.

But once I got it up and running, I had very intermittent internet access. Most of the time, the Movie & TV list wouldn't show anything in any of the categories. The Market took a long time to load, then would say it couldn't access the internet. When I go to the network status, it says that both the wireless and internet connection are 'unknown'.

The router I was using was ancient (circa 2005), so last night I went out and upgraded to a dual-band Netgear WNDR3700. I got the router setup with WPA2 security, and all of my wireless devices are able to connect to it just fine, except for the NSZ-GT1 (set to DHCP). It's doing pretty much the same thing it was before. I used a WiFi Analyzer app on phone and set it on top of the NSZ-GT1 box, and I am getting a pretty consistent -60 dbms, so I don't think signal strength is an issue.

After playing around with it for a while, I went to bed. While reading in bed, I stumbled across this thread. Tonight, I'm going to try giving the NSZ-GT1 a static IP address and see if that fixes my issues. But it sounds like the DHCP issue should have been fixed already, so I don't know if that will help it or not.

I will also check my software build and make sure it's the latest (maybe the restarting of the update process caused it to not get the latest version). Is there anything else I should check?

11. Huffmeister

Huffmeister New Member

I changed the WiFi connection to static, and am still getting the same issue. Everything seems to work great for a while. I can get to the Movies & TV app, stream Netflix, listen to Google Music, get to the Android Market, etc. Then all of a sudden I will try to do something (usually in Movies & TV or Netflix), and it will lose the connection.

After messing around with it for a couple of hours, I checked the router settings and saw that there were some "authentication failed" errors. The SSID that I'm connected to is set up for WPA2-PSK[AES], which I believe the NSZ-GT1 should support. I'm going to try changing the security to WPA-PSK[TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES] and see if that helps. If not, I will try returning the box for another one.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Alternatively to WiFi, you could use HomePlug AV PowerLine Networking equipment instead. Either Logitech or Netgear make quality adapters which are rated to run at 200Mbps and 500Mpbs respectively.

13. Huffmeister

Huffmeister New Member

I tried playing around with the security settings a bit more and was still having the same problem (dropping wifi).

I took the unit back to the store (after doing a factory reset on it) and exchanged it for another one. Hooked up the new one, and everything seems to be working great! No dropped connections, and even Netflix was streaming in HD. So it must have been a hardware-related issue. Now that it's working, we've really been enjoying the enhanced TV experience.

14. Bob1320

Bob1320 New Member

I just bought a Sony NSX40GT1 and having the same problem. I cannot get through Google Setup because it won't connect to my wireless signal, i.e. "Obtaining address....". There is no Network Menu until you can get through Setup. Quite a Catch-22! Every time you go to Setup, you have to scan all your TV channels again. Three days of searching the internet and Sony's website and nothing. Also, this TV needs to have a Technical Service Manual. There is no technical information anywhere that I can find. Now learning that many websites are blocking Google TV. : (

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the all the documentation is scattered around in this website, "Sony eSupport - NSX-40GT1 - Support". That's about as close as you're going to get to a "Technical Service Manual" without being an actual television service technician.

As for the obtaining address part, that means it is connected to your WiFi network but it isn't able to obtain the necessary IP configuration from your router's DHCP server. You might want to see if your router has a firmware update or even trying connecting your TV with an Ethernet cable. Hopefully that will give you an option to set a static IP address. The irony is that Sony did release an update that fixes the DHCP server issue with various routers. Unfortunately, you can't install the update with out a connection to the internet.

16. Bob1320

Bob1320 New Member

Thanks eferz!

I carried it down stairs to my office and hooked it up to ethernet, did a factory reset, and it booted up and downloaded the update and all the android aps. The new firmware is very different and now allows me to change between ethernet and wifi. I played around with the browser and was blocked out of many, if not most, of the websites that I was interested in. I guess I'll have to be happy with Netflix until Google works out some kind of deal with all of these broadcast companies. There are a lot of live tv sites, but the video quality is worse than standard tv. I would like to cut the cable and just go with OTA and Google TV eventually. The cable company we have are pricing themselves out of the market. Comcast and Verizon are unbelievable greedy.....

• Like Like x 2
  17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. Sorry you had to go through so much trouble though.

In my opinion, Google TV alone is a bad choice for Cord Cutting. I recommend supplementing it with either PlayOn.TV or a Tivo Premiere.

18. chopper

chopper Active Member

My revue only works with an ethernet connection directly from my cable modem. It won't even work with an ethernet connection from my wireless router. I think it is because I have to find my revues mac address and add it to the list of allowed devices on my network. Anyone know where how to find the revues mac address?

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

GTV Settings > Network > Status > Ethernet MAC address

20. chopper

chopper Active Member

Thanks! The mac address was why my wifi was not connecting. Hope this helps others?

• Like Like x 2