Quantcast

Wifi not working after update

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by LBNL, Nov 1, 2011.

1. LBNL

LBNL New Member

This morning my Sony Blu-Ray box got updated. After the update and reboot, Wifi internet connection no longer works. I can find the access point, but it hangs while obtaining an IP address. I have the following questions:
    - Anybody else with similar trouble?
    - How do you factory reset in the new interface (it's no longer an option in 'Settings' > 'About'.

Thanks

Mod edit: Sticky until resolved

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I haven't done it but the but its now in the GTV Settings > Privacy & safety > Factory reset

3. sputnick

sputnick New Member

Hmmm....hard to say what the issue is...mine had no problem. I don't know if the WiFi portion of the software went through a dramatic update or not. What I can share with you is that I have a Boxee Box and a Roku box as well and they were very finnicky with my wireless router. I changed encryption and authentication modes to get them to work but it wasn't stable. The router was rather old (provided by my DSL carrier). I went and bought a new router and everthing plays well with it. My GTV played well with the old one no matter how I set it up however. I'm not saying get a new router but maybe try different encryption/authentication methods and see if you can get it to connect. If it works with WEP, I wouldn't keep it on that because it is so easy to hack. Good Luck!

4. gtv_brown

gtv_brown New Member

Are you still experiencing this issue? Please try rebooting and let me know if that doesn't solve it. Thanks!

-Matt

5. jgariano

jgariano New Member

I'm having exactly the same issue with my Sony GTV blu ray. I received the update this morning, and now it no longer connects to my wifi router. I tried a factory reset of the blu ray player several times after the update, and it still doesn't connect. I was able to get it to connect to my Android phone acting as a wifi hotspot, so the blu ray player is able to connect to at least some routers.

I have WPA encryption on both my wifi router and my phone hotspot. I have not tried changing the encryption settings of the router. I can try that when I get home.

Any other help people could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

6. jeredye

jeredye New Member

We had the same issue with our Sony GTV. Called customer support and got the call escalated to the development team. Apparently this is a known issue in the firmware. We're waiting to hear back from them for a fix.

This is a very big issue. I've lost a lot of confidence in Google because of this issue.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Should have lost confidence with Sony instead. Afterall, they're the manufacturer which decided on using the Mitsumi EW4DWMW034 WLAN module in their devices and not testing properly or fixing it before releasing the update. Remember Google supplies the base OS, the manufacturers have to supply the drivers for their hardware.

8. gtv_brown

gtv_brown New Member

Are you experiencing WiFi issues after taking the 2.0 update?

9. jgariano

jgariano New Member

Yes, I am. I could connect fine to wifi with GTV 1.0. But this morning, after I updated to 2.0, I was unable to connect to wifi.

10. oumed73118

oumed73118 New Member

I too am having wifi issues after the update today. The wifi seems to connect at times then disconnect then connect again. I have rebooted several times. I forced it to "forget" the connection then connected it again but I'm still have the same issues. The wifi screen shows good signal strength. Surfing the internet with chrome produces repeated failed page loads with error messages.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  11. dhudson23

dhudson23 New Member

My wifi connection was fine up until this morning when i got the update to 3.1. Just got off the phone with Sony and they said i know have to mail in my box to get fixed cuz there was something wrong with the update affecting wifi. I factory reset my box and didnt come close to fixing the problems

12. TSLA

TSLA New Member

After I rebooted my wifi router everything seems to be woking fine for me....

13. jgariano

jgariano New Member

I was able to get mine to connect by removing the WPA-PSK encryption. I even tried going back to it, and when I did, it again didn't work. So I now have the blu ray player working, but my network is no longer secure. I have a Dlink DI-524 wireless router (which is rather old).

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, at least its not WEP.

Have you considered using a HomePlug AV Powerline Network instead of wireless? They are much more robust and don't have the latency problems which are inherit to WiFi networks. Both Logitech and Netgear make great models that have greater bandwith capacity and throughput than even 802.11n wireless access points.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  15. sunsetsurfer123

sunsetsurfer123 New Member

I reset my router a few times and factory reset the internet box. It used to be stuck on obtaining IP address and now that I factory reset it just says connection failed, please try again. Any other ideas?

16. jgariano

jgariano New Member

I was getting connection failed with my old router, too. I couldn't connect until I removed encryption on the router. Today, I picked up a D-Link DIR-601 on sale at Office Max for $30, and it works fine with the blu ray player with WPA/PSK encryption. My advice would be either to remove encryption or consider purchasing another router.

17. SueBeeA

SueBeeA New Member

We are having the same issue since the update. Message displays "Obtaining IP address...". I'm not very tech savvy so all I have tried to do is 'forget' the network conection and reconnect. Like everyone else, the signal strength is excellent but it won't work. I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with Sony. I expected more from them. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Have you tried setting static IP addresses? GTV Settings > Wi-Fi > Long Key Press of SSID under Wi-Fi Networks > Modify network and at the bottom you can switch it from DHCP to Static and provide the manual settings of the IP address information.

• Like Like x 4
  19. bngsmith

bngsmith New Member

and

I am having identical problems. I purchased this tv strictly for the use of video streaming with netflix and cannot connect to the internet. Has anyone found a solution? I have reset (factory reset), called my internet provider (everything is working perfectly), and have researched their esupport site (Sony) for different troubleshooting options - nothing is working! Except my firmware is 3.1...not sure if that means anything

I never use these sites but really hope the general population kicks Sony/Google into action with fixing this problem!

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  20. bngsmith

bngsmith New Member

When I talked to my internet provider they informed me I do not use a static ip address (nor have I ever). I am not sure if I could enter that way. I have always used the same internet provider and the tv worked fine before. Thanks for the idea though! :)