Quantcast

Wifi Issues

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by mandikaye, Nov 25, 2012.

1. mandikaye

mandikaye New Member

Finally posting this in the right place!

My Google TV is a year old, and it's gotten to the point where every time I turn it on, it doesn't connect to my WiFi. It registers the signal as very very weak (the router is literally underneath the tv) and gets stuck at "Obtaining IP address..." even though all of my other devices are connected and working just fine. The only way to get it to work is to reboot the router and turn the tv on again - super frustrating.

I can't seem to find anyone else who is having this same problem. Is it just me?

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Try going in to your router settings and reserve an address for your google tv so that way you wont have the constant searching for an ip address. Also if you have mac filtering turned on make sure you add your google tvs mac address to the filters list.

3. mandikaye

mandikaye New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, but my router automatically reserves IP addresses forever for each device I connect (so my TV has had the same IP address since it was first connected) and I don't have mac filtering enabled.

This is driving me crazy. I literally have to reboot my router every time I want to turn my tv on to use anything that requires internet connectivity.

4. nickthepimp27

nickthepimp27 New Member

i bought a new router and everything connects ( phones, comps etc..) with good signal, except my sony google tv. Even if i restart the signal remains weak

5. mandikaye

mandikaye New Member

I bought a new router and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I went with the Linksys WRT54G and I have had zero issues (and I was plagued with a myriad of them prior to).

6. laurelnev

laurelnev New Member

Verizon made me switch out my equipment, and I was having the same issues: wi fi dropping, authentication errors, etc. I'd THINK I'd solve it, but I'd tuurn off the TV, and it would crap out again. The Wii sitting on top of it, however, connected just fine. I went into the router and created a guest network. Then I restricted that network by mac address, and left it open. I'm having no connection issues with the google TV now. WISH I could figure out how to get the TV to connect on the secure network, but this is working for now. Posting here for anyone else who landed here via google search and has run out of options. I will keep troubleshooting how to connect to my secure network so that my TV and computer can once again communicate easily, but this allows all of my other TV functions to operate.

(Tried about all variations of WPA, which I had successfully used w/ the old router, no problem before settling on this work around so I could just watch my movie already!)