Quantcast

Wifi issue with Revue

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by darkmist, Dec 28, 2011.

1. darkmist

darkmist New Member

Hello,

My Revue is having a peculiar problem that I was hoping someone could help me with.

When I first turn the unit on, everything is working perfectly. From where it sits I can see 5 wireless networks, including one which is my own. I can do things such as web browsing as long as I want with absolutely no problem, but as soon as I start streaming a file from my computer through the network, it disconnects the wifi within about 3 minutes of streaming. After it disconnects, I can't even see other networks, let alone my own. The only remedy to this is doing a ctrl-alt-del restart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

With all the problems that the Revue has had with wireless networking, I would refrain from using it at all. Try using HomePlug AV Powerline Networking instead. It will provide better throughput and is not susceptible to the problems associated with wireless networking. Either Logitech or Netgear make quality adapters which run in the 200Mbps and 500Mpbs respectively.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Although wired ethernet or powerline network adapters are fine, for a big number of people with wireless networks set up and used for everything accessed over the network, that isn't the easy or cost effective solution. I have two Revues connected using Wi-Fi along wtih 3 TiVos, 4 Blu-ray players, 3 laptops, 2 tablets, a PS3, and an occasional iPhone and everything works well, including both Revues. I am just using an inexpensive 4 year old ZyXEL Wireless-G router and I am far from a network administrator, not even the slightest bit technically skilled in these matters so if wireless is wanted, it sure should be possible for everyone.

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

try this,

Tip: Reboot Modem/Router

Good Luck!

5. atlas

atlas New Member

My Revue is able to connect to a wireless network in my building. However, it isnt my Wifi router the Revue is able to successfully connect to.

My wifi is the Cisco e2000, set to 2.4GHz, N protocol, WPA2 Personal. And the Revue just sits there with a prompt 'Obtaining IP address from .....'. Ive tried using static Ip on the Revue. However, if I'm unable to establish a connection to the wifi router. this feature wont work.

I came to a conclusion that the Revue connects to a wifi router that is configured with no security protocol, and using G protocol as a connection method.

6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Revue connects to WiFi router that is configured with WPA2 Personal with no issue.(from my experience )

If Revue just sits there with a prompt 'Obtaining IP address from .... – then,

try to,

• Check if the password entered correctly or just use a simple password (for testing) .
    • Mac address filter OFF (for testing)
    • Change Router channel /frequency
    • Reboot Modem/Router, - after the reboot-up process (Modem first wait … then Router second wait …– Reboot Revue. (or have Revue unplugged from power before Rebooting Modem/Router )
    • Connect via wired (Ethernet) – then switch to Wifi
    • Reboot Revue
    • If all fail – do Factory- Reset

Good luck!

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

If it actually says, "Obtaining IP address" then that's not a problem with the WiFi connection but an incompatibility with the DHCP server on your router or gateway device. I would try setting a static IP address for now until Logitech pushes an update to resolve the DHCP problems. Incidentally, this is why there were two Honeycomb updates from Sony, the most recent build number 2011111402_AAV_ORSC_20111114111323 "Improve the connectivity related to DHCP with some routers."

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course the Revue works with 2.4GHz wireless-N and WPA2 Wi-Fi security, nobody I know uses an open network now and a Wi-Fi device that didn't work with WPA2 would be DOA on the market. My son uses 2.4GHz wireless N, WPA2 Personal with his Revue. Mine is still a wireless-G household although I have purchased a wireless-N router. Everytime I think about changing routers and setting up all devices for the new network, I find something else I would rather do, it just doesn't sound like any fun and it has been almost 5 years since I set up the existing router. My 5 year old $20 ZyXEL router is going to break soon, I can feel it, but it has been flawless over the years with no downtime ever that I have attributed to the router.

As far as how to configure your Revue and Cisco router, I can't help and will defer to eferz, Revue5 and others.