Quantcast

Why w can not enable WiFi and ethernet at the same time?

Discussion in 'Google TV FAQs' started by nicozhou, Mar 7, 2011.

1. nicozhou

nicozhou New Member

why?
    any guys know the reason?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  2. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

If you are trying to connect it both ways there is no point.

When wifi is enabled it will act as a wireless bridge creating a different network at the IP of 172.168.1.x
    I had mine hooked up this way with an 4 port switch behind it until I moved my router to it instead.

3. galfert

galfert Active Member

I think the issue needs clarification. I think the OP was not worded correctly. I may be jumping to conclusions but I'm pretty confident that I understand what is being attempted here.

I think nicozhou is probably trying to do what others have tried do. They don't want to connect both ways to the same router for the Google TV device's sake. What they are attempting to do is use the Ethernet port as a bridged switch port for another device. What I'm saying is that they want to connect the Google TV via wireless and then use the Ethernet port to give another device connection to the same wireless network, essentially using the Google TV as a networked wireless adapter (wireless client bridge).

The reason this doesn't work is because it wasn't designed to work this way. And the reason why is because having it this way prevents someone from connecting both the wireless and wired to the same network and cause redundant paths to the same device that could cause havoc on many networks that don't detect this type of networking connection error. All kinds of crazy things could happen like IP conflict (same device seen twice on the network), loss of network packets, routing problems, and network delays or broadcast storms. Many home routers may not handle Spanning Tree Protocol to ensure no loops.

If you need a wired Ethernet to wireless bridge then get another device to do this for you. Or build your own cheaply (or free) by putting DD-WRT on some old router and set it for wireless client bridge.

4. harley man

harley man New Member

i think he wants to have it hard wired because of best feed but also needs wireless for cell phone app to work

5. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

The Reue will absolutely work as a wireless bridge and is the recommended way to hook up a 622/722 with integration. I have had it hooked up this way and can verify that it will work. I had a 4 port Ethernet switch behind the Recue and it flawlessly handled a Sony BDP N460, a Dish 922, and a Squeezebox. Like I said above it will create a 172.68.1.x network. It worked great for me but I had to get everything off of 2.4mhz as my baby monitor was driving me insane.

6. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

As long as both devices are connected to the same network they will communicate fine. I can control the Recue from either my mixed network or my 5mhz network. Right now my Revue is wired and IPad is wireless and i have no issues connecting. Also I could still do so when the Revue was wireless.

If the either device is connected to a "guest network" that does not have full access to the main network it will not work.

7. harley man

harley man New Member

ok my bad is there a app to use the i pad as a keyboard for gtv

8. StevenB

StevenB New Member

The android app works fine with the GTV connected via Ethernet and phone connected Wifi no problem.

9. nicozhou

nicozhou New Member

Hi, Guys, thanks for your kind reply. I will detail read your reply.

let me discribe my question.

In my Google TV(Sony model), if I enable the Wifi connection, I mean, GoogleTV connect AP successfull.

and then if I insert ethernet line, Google TV never can connect successfully with ethernet.
    "setting->network-> ethernet: not connected"

on the other hand , if ethernet already connected successfully, and then if I try to enable wifi connection, sometimes failed.
    sometimes, will disconnect ethernet at first , and then connect wifi

10. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Why are you trying to connect both at the same time?

11. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Do a search for Logitech Harmony. For me at first it would not find the Revue constantly now I have no issues at all.

12. nicozhou

nicozhou New Member

Hi, Twoboys, Thanks!

uh, maybe it is a strange requirement.:rolleyes:

but from user's opinion, I think if productor provides the two ways to connect with Internet, maybe user should can use them at same time, otherwise, why not?

like the labtop, there is no problem if I enable WiFi and Ethernet at the same time.

I just want to know the difference of Google TV and Labtop, or what's the limit of Google TV(Android).

Generally, I never use the two ways at the same time.

In fact, I am a developer on Google TV, today, I want to implement a function with WiFi in TV side connect with a AP, and at the same time I also want to use ethernet to connect our LAN to push some library, so I found they cant NOT be enabled at the same time, I just want to find out this question.

13. nicozhou

nicozhou New Member

Hi galfert,

Manys thanks for your detail infomation.

I think you are right. Currently our Google TV supports DHCP mode by WiFi case, so if I enable WiFi, Maybe TV will be a server.
    That will cause IP conflic if also enable Ethernet at the same time.
    is it right?

I encountered the "broadcast storms" problem.

Thannnnnnks!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  14. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

To summarize what I said they both can be used if you are connecting to a Access Point via Wireless and the ether net will act as a bridge. No IP conflict will arise and on the Ethernet side you will have a new 172.168.1.x network

15. galfert

galfert Active Member

Towboy123, If you connect Google TV device via wireless and then connect a device via Ethernet and it works and you said that such device ends up getting an IP address in the 172.168.1.x subnet then this is not a bridge. It may offer similar functionality but said device on the Google TV Ethernet port is then on a subnet that the Google TV is then acting as both a DHCP server for the 172.168.1.x subnet and Routing said network. So like I said it isn't a bridge.

A bridge extends the the host network to devices behind it....so it lets such host use the original networks DHCP server and you end up on the same subnet. And for most home users with a router that would be something like 192.168.1.x.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  16. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Fair enough but it works exactly the same as a bridge, all functionality is for practical purposes is the same.

17. galfert

galfert Active Member

The only problem I see in using this 172.168.1.x subnet is that it will only work fine if you just need to get Internet access. If a computer on the 192.168.1.x subnet needs to talk to a device on the 172.168.1.x subnet there is no route to it and so the connection will not happen. Unless you define in a static route in the 192.168.1.1 router to the 172.168.1.x network.

18. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

My computer was able to control my 922 perfectly
    My computer was able to control my Squeezebox perfectly
    I was able to play media on squeeze server Mac to Squeezebox
    I was able to stream media from my Mac to my 922 via DLNA
    I was able to see "Media connect" on my IPad on my 922 via DLNA
    I was able to use my Sling Box to stream to my IPad and computer

I am no network expert but I know that I did not define a static route between the 2 subnets. All worked well for me. Also as this the way Logitech recommends the 622/722 receivers be connected knowing that people would be putting Sling Adapters on them maybe the Revue is adding that static route without us knowing.

The only reason I switched was to get the Revue on Ethernet.

19. galfert

galfert Active Member

towboy123, Well that is all very interesting that you were able to do. Now I'll have to test it for myself and figure out how and why it works as you said.

20. galfert

galfert Active Member

Windows XP was not able to handle WiFi and Ethernet on the same network. You ended up with redundant paths to the same computer. I'm not sure if this was fixed in the latest service pack or updates since its been some years since I worked on an XP system. But with Windows 7 there is no problem as it is smart enough to only use one or the other at a time. With Android OS who knows why. I'll be doing some testing perhaps by this weekend and see if I can make more sense out of this.