Quantcast

Why the Google TV name change hasn't took hold

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by ericd, Mar 30, 2014.

1. ericd

ericd Active Member

A couple of days ago GTV Friends posted a link on his G+ page (https://plus.google.com/+Gtvfriends/posts). After reading the article,(UDRP Panel Punts Denying Google?s UDRP On Androidtv.com | TheDomains.com) I can't decide if this is a case of a larger company trying to bully the little guy out of their legitamately filed domain name or the little guy just cyber-squatting in an attempt to coerce Google into paying them for the name.

Whatever the case, I find it inconceivable that Google didn't have the foresight to obtain the AndroidTV.com (or to a lessor degree, XBMCAndroid TV.com) domain before making the name change announcement.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any value to the Android TV name already, for at least a couple of years it has been associated with those no-name mini PCs running Android that plug into the TV HDMI input. Notorious for poor video quality, poor memory and storage management and no support, they only have value as unlicensed cheap hobby sticks in my opinion, for those that can hack and modify them into something they can use. maybe XBMC or some other piracy access device. At any given time there may be hundreds of those devices using names like Android TV or mini Android PC on eBay. Now Google wants to use the name for an officially licensed and supported product? I don't get it, I would say don't pay anything for the domain name which was nothing more than cyber squatting trying for a big payday and don't use the name if it can't be given some trademark protection. There is no goodwill associated with the name now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ericd

ericd Active Member

I agree with most of your points Chris, but the Android TV.com domain was registered through Godaddy in 2006, 3-4 years before Google TV was even out (I'm not sure when GTV was first announced). There's so many sites and devices that use the Android name and little green android robot mascot that it's hard for me to see Google trying to justify their side. If Google wanted to protect the name and symbols, they should have done so earlier in the game and not wait 6-7 years later and decide they want to use the name now.

You're right in saying the Android TV name has lost a lot of its value by simply being over-saturated and tied to so many of the off brand Chinese boxes. I'm not even sure if Google tried to copyright the names or logo's. If they did, then I can see where Google does have a claim to the name and domain but it appears that Google has been pretty lax in trying to protect their properties (both names and operating systems).

I realize it's a bit hypocritical of me to criticize Google (and Android) for their openness when it's the main reason I prefer their devices to Apple's monolithic approach. There's just got to be a middle ground somewhere between Google's wild west, anything goes style and Apple's byzantine approach.

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I imagine Google would want to get Android branding back under their control, and one way to assert that is to actually make an Android TV device. Heck, if they want to embrace the cheap Chinese stick market by offering free/cheap licensing or open source - that would probably be a good idea, because by hook or crook those devices aren't far off from becoming quite viable.

Either beat them at their own game, or embrace them.

Of course one of the huge markets for those sticks is technically as an "Android PC". They'll have to get work on that ...

• Like Like x 2
  5. ericd

ericd Active Member

With China's record of copyright and patent infringement, I doubt it would even matter to the Chinese manufacturers if Google licensed their OS at a lower cost. They'd probably continue to produce and distribute the Android boxes and sticks regardless of Googles OK.

As Chris already stated, Google should just give up on identifying formally known GTV devices as Android TV devices and simply go back to the Google TV moniker (or come up with a new, better thought out name.) Calling the devices "Smart TV (or box) with Google Play services" is just silly. http://www.Smart TV with Google Play Service.com really just rolls right off the tongue:rolleyes:

6. Travel

Travel Active Member

Google and (the partners (Hisense, etc.), seem to be going more with the term "Google Services" than "AndroidTV." Im guessing that if Google puts-out a gamebox they'll refer to it as something like Nexus (whatever name they give the gamebox) "with full Google Services," and move away from labeling references of "GoogleTV or AndriodTV."

In other words, what was once called GoogleTV, standalone, will just be incorporated into a lager device like an HDTV or gamebox. Advrtised as: "Hisense HDTV With Full Google Services," and "Nexus Gamebox With Full Google Services."

7. ChrisG8

Register in 2006 or not, it was just another of those cyber squatting plays, hoping for a big payday. Hey if I had thought of it, I would have done it but Google doesn't need the name, it is probably irreparably damaged by the unlicensed crap in consumer's hands already and I am not sure it could even be salvaged and be clear of liability for all of the license violations existing already.

• Like Like x 4
  8. ChrisG8

I don't know that Smart TV with Google Services is a bad name, it is better than Android TV in my opinion, especially in light of the fact anybody interested in Android TV could think one of the crap devices available on eBay or Amazon or Geekwhatever.com are an official Android TV device. What a mess with people trying to set up one of those no-name sticks, no contact company, no support, no way to get any help being confused about the Android TV box their neighbor purchased and why there is no consistency among products with the same name. At least with a unique name that will mean it is a different product to consumers. Chromecast could have been called Google TV Lite or something along those lines but there was no goodwill associated the Google TV name so it became Google Chromecast.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Travel

Travel Active Member

Sure, when Google started out with GoogleTV, they wanted all the manufacturing partners that they could get, whether HDTVs
    or set-top box manufacturers, with the branding of "GoogleTV" (playing to an "AppleTV" alternative) to be the catch phrase that would "catch-on." But it didn't work out that way.

It seems to me that Google's strategy is now to incorporate GoogleTV into mass market, more widespread in sales devices like HDTVs and the gamebox market
    and call it "With Full Google Services." A Hisense Pulse Pro sales limit would be a niche market, which turned out to be the case for standalone GoogleTV boxes, anyway.

I really hope Google does "do" the gamebox with a full GoogleTV platform/Playstore app, because it seems it will be the only way we'll ever see a "superbox" with 2G RAM and Quad to multi-core processors and no restriction Android OS updates due to hardware limitations.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014