Quantcast

Why The Chromebook Pundits Are Simply Out Of Touch With Reality (Updated: Chromebook News)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 13, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Why the Chromebook pundits are simply out of touch with reality ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Kevin C. Tofel - Nov. 11, 2013

Summary: Two recent articles belittling the need and use cases for Chromebooks also belittle those consumers who buy them. It's a shame that some are stuck in the old-school traditional computing model where the thought of "more is better" overlooks cases where less is more.

-- The Chromebook pundits have their heads in the sand again. In the past week, I've read not one, but two extremely myopic commentaries on how a PC easily trumps a Chromebook. One says "Chromebooks are a joke," while the other suggests that a PC can already run the Chrome browser and do so much more, so "there's no good reason to buy a Chromebook."

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

When I first heard about Chromebooks I thought that this would be the perfect complement for my GTV units. But the limitations would be duplicated on both systems. I went w/Windows because I can't stand not being able to do something. Limitations on GTV I can overlook because of what it does well.

But Win 8 is starting to freak me out. I got a corrupted Win 8.1 update. I had to refresh my PC and reinstall downloads. Right now I'm downloading 8.1 again. So, yes sometimes less is more.

Great find, Catfish...

3. guest

guest Active Member

This comment in the gigaom article is important:
    I own both ARM based Samsung Chromebook and the newer Haswell Chromebook. Based on my experience, ARM Chromebooks are now dead on arrival thanks to Haswell. Haswell powered chromebooks are offering better battery life, superior performance and same price point ($249). My Samsung Chromebook struggles while playing 1080p youtube videos, Netflix HD videos and amazon prime videos. If you have more than 4 tabs open, things get excruciatingly slow. Contrast this with Acer Haswell Chromebook, its super fast, even with a dozen tabs open. I have thrown everything at it including 1080p youtube videos, CPU intensive flash based games (for e.g. cricket), it never struggled. Haswell and very soon Baytrail powered Chromebooks make ARM chips DOA as far as chromebooks are concerned.

4. CatfishRivers

Just to clarify - that was not actually part of the GigaOm article itself - but can be found in the comment section below the article. It's actually true. The new Acer C720 Chromebook with the Haswell chip is faster than the new HP Chromebook 11 with the ARM chip. Here's a link to a detailed review of the Acer C720 Chromebook that explains it very well (with performance benchmark comparisons in a chart):

Review: Acer and Haswell give Chrome OS the battery life it deserves | Ars Technica

However the thing is - with the Acer C720 the screen & keyboard are not as good of quality as the HP Chromebook 11. Overall I'd opt for the Acer C720. There are several more new Chromebooks with Haswell chips (from different manufacturers) due out soon. As the reviewer mentioned - ideally a Chromebook model would combine the speed and battery life of the Acer C720 with the overall build quality (better keyboard & screen) of the HP Chromebook 11 for around $300.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  5. Carlszone

6. guest

guest Active Member

Is Android supposed to be the successor OS to Chrome, or the other way around? I'm just wondering whether people ought to be waiting on an Androidbook. Or Android Tablet with the same screen size as the Chromebook.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't think either is planned as a successor to the other and if the market wants both, Chrome OS and Android will co-exist. If one will replace the other, it appears likely to me that the Chrome OS would be left standing.

8. CatfishRivers

Acer launches $199 Chromebook with Intel Haswell CPU - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - Nov. 15, 2013

-- The Acer C720 Chromebook is an inexpensive, portable notebook designed to run Google's Chrome operating system. Acer launched a $250 model in October, featuring 4GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, an Intel Celeron 2955U Haswell processor, and an 11.6 inch display.

Now Acer is adding an even lower-priced option. The new Acer C720-2848 features 2GB of RAM and a $200 price tag.

9. guest

guest Active Member

When they offer a Chromebook with a detachable keyboard, then they'll have something. Laptops are too desktop-like. Nowadays, people are looking for a user experience along the lines of a smartphone, but with a bigger screen. You know, lounging around, leisure, those kinds of descriptives. In other words, a tablet. But with a conventional keyboard at-the-ready, when needed.

10. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that just be an Android tablet that could only run Chrome?

Well, after they update the Android version of Chrome so it can run extensions and apps, anyway.

11. guest

guest Active Member

This is how the Chromebook ought to be marketed - Screen-Tablet/Stand/Physical Keyboard, each sold separately.

Check out this combination. Nice.

1) Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" - Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (16GB, White): Electronics

2) Stand - Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics Book Cover for Galaxy Note 10.1-Inch, White (EFC-1G2NWECXAR): Computers & Accessories

3) Physical Keyboard - Amazon.com: Samsung ECR-K14AWEGSTA Galaxy Keyboard Dock for the 10.1 Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Note: Computers & Accessories

12. jonw747

Well, like I said, all Google has to do is update Chrome for the tablet and you've got your new touch based Chromebook. Just don't click anything but the browser. *shrugs*

13. CatfishRivers

Acer Chromebook with touchscreen display sorta confirmed (by Amazon) - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - Nov. 15, 2013

-- Acer is expanding its line of Chromebooks with models featuring a range of features and prices — although they’re all reasonably inexpensive.

The company launched an Intel Celeron/Haswell powered Chromebook for $250 in October, and followed up with the introduction of a $199 model a month later, featuring half the RAM. Now it looks like the company is also going to launch a model with a higher-price tag, and premium features including a touchscreen.

While Acer hasn’t officially announced the new touchscreen model, we first heard about it a few months ago, and now Amazon France is taking pre-orders for 299 Euros. That’s about $400 US, but it’ll probably be cheaper if and when it comes to America.

The Acer C720 with a touchscreen has the same Intel Celeron 2955U Haswell processor as the other laptops in the lineup. But in addition to the touchscreen, it has 32GB of storage — twice the amount available on the cheaper models.

Each model has an 11.6 inch, 1366 x 768 pixel display, and while the $250 model has 4GB of RAM and 16GB of storage, the touchscreen model up for pre-order in France has 2GB of RAM — just like the $200 model.

It’s not clear if Acer plans to offer a higher-priced model with 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a touchscreen, but it would be kind of silly not to.

14. guest

guest Active Member

I would think that it would be kind of awkward, uncomfortable and stressful using a touchscreen on a laptop. Now if the physical keyboard was detachable in order to create a tablet form-factor, that would be a more compelling product.

15. CatfishRivers

OK Google: Voice search comes to Chromebooks - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - Nov. 20, 2013

-- Google is bringing some of its voice search technology from Android to Chrome OS. If you have a Chromebook that's running on the Dev Channel, you can now enable support for "OK Google" voice commands.

This lets you search the web with your voice - and could eventually let you launch apps, start a hangout with someone in your contact list or perform other actions without pointing, clicking, or typing.

Google's François Beaufort reports that you'll need to enable an experimental flag to use the new voice recognition features.

Once you'e done that, you can start a search by opening the App Launcher and then saying "OK Google" followed by your query. The new feature works even if you're not connected to the internet - although there's not much you can actually do without an internet connection at this point, since it's tough to search the web when you're not connected to the web.

16. CatfishRivers

A Chrome OS tablet as the next Nexus 10? I like the sound of that. ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Kevin C. Tofel - Nov. 25, 2013

SUMMARY: So where's the new Nexus 10? Maybe it's not here because it won't actually run Android and will instead, run on Google's Chrome OS platform. And that's fine by me!

-- Google's Nexus phone got a refresh in October while its Nexus 7 tablet was upgraded with new hardware in July. Oddly, the company's Nexus 10 Android tablet is still the same old model as last year. There have been rumors and leaks on an upgraded Nexus 10, but Google continues to sell the 2012 edition.

This past weekend, John Freml pondered why this is on the Pocketables blog and raised an interesting question: What if the next Nexus 10 actually runs Chrome OS and not Android?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  17. CatfishRivers

Microsoft Enlists Pawn Stars To Mock Google?s Chromebooks | TechCrunch (click for full article & video)

by Frederic Lardinois - Nov. 26, 2013

-- Microsoft's anti-Google Scroogled campaign is showing no signs of slowing down. Its latest target is Google's Chromebook. Microsoft has enlisted the stars of the successful reality TV series Pawn Stars to lampoon what it wants you to perceive as the Chromebook's limitations ("It's not a real laptop!").

If you're not familiar with Pawn Stars, it's a Las Vegas-based reality show on the History Channel where people take their old stuff in the hopes to earn some cash. In Microsoft's latest ad, a woman wants to sell her Chromebook so she can go to Hollywood. No luck there, of course, as the seller quickly informs her that it's actually just a "brick."

"A traditional PC," he informs her, "utilizes built-in applications like Office or iTunes that work even when you're offline." Neither Office nor iTunes aren't exactly "built-in," of course - and there are plenty of Chrome apps that run offline - but it's a Scroogled video we're talking about, so the facts don't always matter.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  18. jonw747

They're just inviting Google to bring back the old "I'm a PC" ... "I'm a Google" ads. M$ is just preaching to the choir. People who want what a PC can and will buy and use a traditional laptop, but how does that help the grandparent who got a virus on their laptop and had to pay more than the cost of a Chromebook to get it off - oh, and lost all their HD contents in the process?

19. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I use an Android tablet and primarily Android smart TV but for a laptop, I am sticking with Windows. I don't pay any attention to the ads, just buy what suits my needs best after research. In the future there could be something better for my needs than a Windows laptop so I will continue to look at new things.

20. Carlszone

I tell ya

With my Win 8.1 when it works it is amazing. But, good grief! When ya click on something, even on the most legitimate looking sites, the search viruses can really mess you up. Every once in a while companies like Google & MSN make me forget why I enjoy settop box surfing. Even w/all the limitations I would never dream of not having this option for virus free internet access. I just wish someone would get it right.

Chromebooks make sense on a level that companies like Microsoft will never understand. From a purely software point of view, MSN must be aware that there is no real profit potential on systems where their goods cannot be sold. The PC world is a system that feeds off of itself. Malicious programs run amok throughout the internet. PCs are constantly being infested w/viruses, malware and advertising addons. The same companies that are supplying the cure may be aiding & abetting the perpetrators themselves. After all the main cause of browser hijacks and search viruses seems to be to facilitate advertising. The relationship between advertising & internet security is too closely linked.

This creates a vicious circle of distrust. Is Symantec really trying to safeguard my PC? Or are they collaborating with hackers to later sell me an even more expensive security suite supposedly guaranteed to meet the escalating threats for the next year.

Chromebooks, Google TV and other streaming devices & TVs limit these attacks and allow for users to spend the time using the devices for what they were meant to do. Rather than researching the latest security threat to Internet Explorer.

Carl

• Like Like x 4