Quantcast

Why Netflix Has Content and Google TV Doesn't

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by skoretsky, Dec 22, 2010.

1. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

2. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

'Doing lunch' only goes so far. True, one has to convince the studios that there's added value to streaming their content, and true google seems slow to become a content acquisition/developer, but I think it's smart for Google to wait it out some more...their costs will drop precipitously the longer they wait, since they know their Apps will give them a virtually free option to host the content users want.

3. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

I hope so alphawave7...dropping the "arrogance" and taking content provider execs out to lunch wouldn't hurt either!

4. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

The problem with this whole thing is. If google has to be treated specially and they have to acquire rights for their OS when no one else does than doesnt that mean they also get to use it however they please. Implementing their own ads and disregarding studio desires?

5. alphawave7

I'm still surprised ( but not really) this meme keeps cropping up...industries like these are a bunch of protectionist, self-serving good 'ole boy networks, and to suggest a technology giant like Google deserves to be cast as 'arrogant' only plays into their hands during negotiation for distribution. I can appreciate Reed Hasting's focus on relationships, as that indeed gave Netflix a HUGE edge (folks are saying Netflix has been given the streaming market on a silver platter), but as Greg mentions...Google now has several of those Netflix folks aboard, and will make their own play in their own way...it doesn't have to be exactly like anyone elses play, either. It's not arrogant to have a different game plan/approach..it's just different.

6. Ricky

Ricky New Member

I know we discussed this but I STILL dont see how streaming to my 52" monitor on the wall is different than streaming content to the 24" monitor on my desk. Either NBC WANTS people to watch their content ( and THEIR AD they SELL) or they dont. If you DONT then why put it up at all and if they DO why block it?

7. alphawave7

It is only different inasmuch as who 'controls' the content...and it may not simply be ads, but the METRICS that Google will get from watching us, watching NBC et al....the networks DO want something that Google will automagically have..so to suggest Google remains 'arrogant' because they haven't cut deals yet is amusing...it pays for Google to wait. And I still haven't changed my position on the majors...one can get this content FREE OTA onto their HDTV units..the importance of the majors to GTV is quite a bit less than the pundits would have you think, imho. (plus, they have nothing I want to watch! :p)

8. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

Yes Google is gather stats and feedback on us on what we watch...which IMO is good since it will enable them to step up to being competitive in this market, especially against the big guns (Apple, Amazon, etc.).

9. eyendall

eyendall New Member

Google is not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They expect to make money out of streaming other's content. The tv/studio execs know this but haven't figured-out exactly how to do it themselves, and are afraid Google will trump them, so they prefer to deny Google access rights even though there is no direct cost to them and that their ads would still be viewed. It's the old "dog-in-the-manger" attitude: if I can't have it, you can't either.

10. eyendall

eyendall New Member

It's fine for Google to wait, but why should we? Where does this leave us "early adopters" who are not getting what Google seemed to promise?

11. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Well, that is the whole problem...it leaves us with nothing.....actually less than nothing because we paid upwards of $1400 for a netflix player.....which most of us already had in a PS3.

12. alphawave7

We have to wait, simply because these are mammoth changes happening in an industry used to and expecting status quo..it's not going to happen overnight. I think 2011 will be the year it all breaks wide open, though. GTV is the harbinger, and once a content producer can quickly and easily get into the content distribution game (ala apps) cutting out all these middlemen control-freaks, we'll begin to see the promise of GTV fulfilled, and then some. I think the majors will be the absolute LAST to succumb, and will only do so kicking and screaming, as they search for other work. :p My HULU+ subscription freebie has run out, and I'm now paying $7.99 a month...and frankly, there's VERY LITTLE programming compelling me to stick around through their obnoxious commercials beyond another month. As soon as my wife and I wrap up a few short-season series, I plan to cancel.

13. Malachi42

Malachi42 New Member

We'll get the update when it comes out. That's what Google promised. A system that keeps getting better and better.

14. eyendall

eyendall New Member

So what you are saying is that we have to have faith in Lord Google, He will provide..... all in good time. I don't want to wait until i go to heaven to get my reward. So while you have your faith, Logitech Revue has my money and I am not getting what was promised. Nor am i being told by GoogleTV why it is taking longer than they led me to believe. An unhappy camper.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 2