Quantcast

Why is everyone so impatient for JellyBean?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by saeba, Sep 9, 2013.

1. saeba

saeba Active Member

What is it that folks think it will bring? I have a tablet and phone both running JellyBean and I don't really see what it will bring to GTV beyond what I already have:
    1. Good web browser. Allows me to bring up sites when I want to look something up on the web.
    2. ViMu and Plex for watching content downloaded to my PC
    3. Vudu and Amazon Prime for watching video on demand content. Vudu: 1080p and 5.1DD+ audio :)!
    4. Crunchyroll for anime
    5. PlayOn/PlayLater for network content (ESPN, CBS, ABC, NBC, etc.) and Hulu
    I've never really seen GTV as a gaming system and never really needed it as a "do everything" system as I had the desktop and tablet. For $170, it's just a great extension for the TV.

So what is it that folks see as the advantage of JellyBean?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will mean a better selection & quality of apps for GTV.

I believe the browser will be more stable without Flash. We'll have to see how it all plays out. For Google TV's sake I hope the Jellybean update gets positive reviews and comes out in time for the Christmas shopping season.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

We could be dead wrong, but most of us are hoping that a JB (and NDK) release will open up the App Store wide ... and what's not enabled explicitly to run on GTV will be able to be sideloaded with far more success than is possible right now. Adding ChromeCast abilities should be another boon. On the flip side, the expected loss of Flash support could be painful *if* that flood of Apps doesn't happen.

4. jonw747

Good point. Hopefully everything will be more stable, but sometimes it's 1 step back for every 2 steps forward.

5. saeba

saeba Active Member

OK, better selection. What apps are we missing?

As to Chromecast, I don't really see the appeal. I send content to GTV from my PC today with Plex and PlayOn.

Appreciate the feedback :)!

6. saeba

saeba Active Member

Tonite was a great example - went to watch Unforgettable which we'd previously TiVo'd.... and found that CBS had shifted times and we missed 50mins of the show. So... Click on PlayOn on the GTV, bring up CBS and find Unforgettable full episodes, found the episode we wanted and requested it be recorded by PlayLater - all from the GTV. We watched another show while it recorded, then brought up ViMu on the GTV and played back the recording fast-forwarding through the occasional commercials :)!

7. CatfishRivers

Major apps missing would be Hulu Plus, MLB.TV, apps from all the TV networks.

I believe streaming from PlayOn is in SD? While Chromecast apps stream in HD.

8. saeba

saeba Active Member

Fair point. Per the PlayOn website:

PlayOn streams 480p video. Most of the online content supported in PlayOn is only available in 720x404 (SDTV 16:9 widescreen) or 640x480 (SDTV 4:3). However, more websites are now beginning to offer higher quality HD videos, with vertical resolutions as high as 720p. We plan on supporting these sites with HD content sometime in the near future.

I've never been a big fan on HuluPlus.... seemed expensive for what it offers. You still have commercials in the content even after paying for it. You do get access to a more extensive library, but I prefer Amazon Prime. The combination of commercial free video content plus free 2-day shipping seemed a better deal for us.

Great comments! I always get additional uses for my GTV when I ask questions here :)!

9. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Pluses of JB:
    1. It is much faster (staring apps, navigation, etc.)
    2. It supports NDK, so more apps. And more oppotunities for current GTV apps.
    3. It supports Chromecast features (yeah, Chrome mirroring too).
    4. Vimu will play more formats :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Travel

Travel Active Member

It's not just the Jelly Bean update, but the latest Chrome-version updates that comes with it. If this takes the "clunky" out of the current scrolling and not-100%-compatible page loading/stalling of websites, it'll be a big plus in the general user experience. Maybe the Chrome update will also help with the "need to zoom"/font-size of the various web pages; e.g., I have Outlook E-mail and it's clunky to use; pop-up help messages will get in the way of a "click button" I want to use, for example, and scrolling stop 'n start; that kind of "buggy" thing goes on.

Hopefully, if GoogleTV is running on the latest Chrome, these things will clear-up.

I haven't used an Android-run tablet, but isn't the general internet browsing experience on an Android tablet a lot smoother and "website format compatible" as compared to the current GoogleTV internet browsing?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  11. Travel

Travel Active Member

Content providers actually seem eager to develop apps for Chromecast, where they weren't so eager with GoogleTV. Now, Chromecast is to be installed into the GoogleTV platform, and these apps (like Hulu and HBO GO) will be available for GoogleTV users.

Basically, the Jelly Bean, Chromecast and Chrome updates can clear away some of the major roadblocks that have been standing in the way of GoogleTV progress; have to wait and see to what extent.

12. saeba

saeba Active Member

I guess it comes down to how you use the device. I tend to do the bulk of my web work on my desktop. I use the GTV when I need a quick look up (product info, show information, etc.) or occasionally to watch content on a website. Neither tablet nor phone nor GTV compare to using a desktop with full keyboard, mouse and a 24" monitor.

• Like Like x 2
  13. saeba

saeba Active Member

Correct me on this... but with Chromecast, don't you really need to co-browse with a device? So you have to watch with a laptop/tablet/phone in order to select content to "cast" to the GTV? That would be a big change in the way I generally watch. I don't currently grab another device in order to pick content for the GTV. With Plex/PlayOn, the PC is in my office and I drive content from the GTV.

14. saeba

saeba Active Member

Item (4) I really like!

15. drhill

drhill Member

#4 is only possible because of #2.

NDK opens up potential for these devices.

16. jonw747

We're missing thousands of Android apps. What actually matters depends on which Apps someone has a use for, and which Apps can reasonably run or will be more readily adapted to run on GTV.

Many of us bought Google Tv with the expectation that we were buying Android for our TV, not some crippled version of Android for our TV ... so JB finally delivers what many of us thought we were getting in the first place. But let's not forget about the App developers. They will target a device if it's either easy or profitable. At the moment, GTV is neither.

As for Apps I'd like to run, two I can think of off the top of my head are the Splashtop and SlingBox apps. With the first, I could stream anything I can play on my PC, and with later I could stream anything which I can play with my DVR. I'd also like to be able to use the tablet versions of the NBA league pass and NFL rewind Apps. Will I get 'em? Who knows, but the update will at least make it more likely.

17. saeba

saeba Active Member

I think your first point is a major reason people have been disappointed with GTV - it's definitely not Android for TV. I didn't want it for that purpose, so I've been pretty happy with the capabilities that I have. I use my tablet and phone as generalized Android solutions so there's no pressure for GTV to be a solution for every Android need.

As to your second point, agree with Splashtop. I'm using Remote RDP Lite, but would like to be able to use Splashtop.

18. vhdcinema

vhdcinema New Member

Chromecast runs Flash video doesn't it?

So, why wouldn't Jelly Bean on Google TV have Flash to play a vast majority of content that still uses it?

19. jonw747

Flash is more than just a video format, but for ChromeCast, that's all it cares about. For instance, what happens if you try to tab cast a site with a Flash based game? Can't say I've tried.

20. CatfishRivers

Adobe pulled the plug on Flash updates for browsers on connected TVs. Without Adobe I think it's impossible for Google to implement a viable Flash solution for the GTV browser. The following article gives a good explanation:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/adobe-delivers-a-blow-to-google-tv-by-pulling-flash/