Quantcast

Why does everyone love the NSZ-GS7 Remote?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Flatulator, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Flatulator

Flatulator New Member

Ok, it's got a cool keyboard (even though I can't see it in the dark!). All I want to do is have ONE remote (like my Harmony ONE remote does so nicely) to control everything. In this case, "everything" is only controlling the NSZ-GS7 as well as changing channels on the Sony Bravia TV it's connected to. I'm using OTA and not a cable box. Why can't this fantastic SONY remote (cough, cough) change the channels on a SONY TV? Sure, I can change the input to "Tuner" on the Bravia and adjust it's volume but then I need to look for the Sony remote so I can surf my OTA goodness. Does anyone have a solution, as I'm fully aware that the remote doesn't do IR...

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Does everyone love it? As far as Google Tv remotes go, it's regarded well, but it's no more a replacement for a good universal remote then any other multi-function remote control. btw, you do know how to turn on the backlighting when you're using the keyboard, right? Also the GS7 does support IR as well as HDMI-CEC, it just blasts it out of the device rather than out of the remote control. There's also an IR jack on the GS7 if you need to route IR to a device that's out of range of the built-in blaster.

3. saeba

saeba Active Member

Agreed - I'm not so much a fan of it. The whole "keyboard on one side, touchpad on the other" doesn't work well for me. I primarily use a mix of my Harmony One remote (to turn on the TV and receiver) and a Logitech K700 keyboard.

4. Flatulator

Flatulator New Member

I see the light - but it's almost as dim as I am. Is there any way to get channel-changing capabilities for the built-in ATSC tuner in my Bravia with HDMI-CEC? It controls volume & input on the Sony, but doesn't change channels. Am I missing something? I do have an external ATSC tuner and PVR box (a Homeworx HW-150PVR, a GREAT little box) that isn't found it he NSZ-GS7's tiny STB terrestrial database. Will I always need two remotes for this setup, even though my other more complex setups in the house are EASILY managed with a good 'ol IR Harmony One? I need this setup to be "wife and kid friendly"...

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

You might try contacting Sony customer support, but perhaps you need to select your Sony TV twice as both your STB and AVR? I don't know. You'll have to make sure that either HDMI-CEC is ernabled/works, and/or that the IR blaster built in to the front of the GS7 is in range. If the device you want to use isn't in the device data base, there isn't much you can do other than try to figure out if another device in the data base uses the same code set.

Your Harmony One is not a typical multi-device remote control. Heck, it typically sells for more than the GS7 with the remote. Maybe someday we will see a well designed universal remote that can control bluetooth and IR, includes a mic, a keyboard, and a touch screen/motion sensor? It'd probably be introduced at $1000.

If this really doesn't work for you, I'd recommend seeing if you can get by with an Apple TV. The ATV has native IR support and can even learn the IR functions you want to use. Alternatively, the ChromeCast may have an even higher WAF if your family always has a phone/tablet at hand.

Personally, I've owned a ton of streaming devices over the years, and typically I'm the who operates them regardless of whether they're integrated in to my universal remote or not. *shrugs*

6. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I really like the Sony remote. I do wish they had support for more devices when using the ir blaster. I can live with the Harmony and Sony. Two remotes isn't that bad.

I can really use the TV'S remote for the GS7 via hdmi-cec. Is that supposed to be possible?

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course the Harmony One retails for more than the Sony NSZ-GS7 including control so it is a little unrealistic to want something like that to be included with Google TV. It is certainly possible for a much greater price but for Google TV functions, in my opinion, a Harmony One would be a pathetic choice. I use the Logitech Revue K700 keyboard to control my NSZ-GS7 since I don't like little gwerty keypads, for how I use Google TV, a full sized keyboard works best. I have a Harmony One, Harmony 900, and Harmony 880 for the three systems in house but I use the K700 for everything I can control with Google TV and the Harmony remotes for those things I can't control with Google TV.

A full sized keyboard/universal remote control able to handle IR, Bluetooth and RF would be required for me to handle everything with one controller and I am not holding my breath waiting for that device. I am able to control everything in all three systems with the Logitech K700/Harmony duo and plan to just live with that solution.

As far as the NSG-MR5U, I like it better than any other little qwerty keypad controller I have tried but that doesn't mean I like it well enough to use it.