Quantcast

Why can't we pay for Android upgrades????

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by PVM, Nov 9, 2013.

1. PVM

PVM New Member

We upgrade from Windows 3.0 to Windows 8.1, I wonder what we have paid out over all these years. Here we are all waiting patiently for Sony, Hisense etc to upgrade our devices to Jelly Bean, then we will be wanting KitKat and then waiting (in vain) for the next one. I for one would pay for each upgrade (not on the scale of Windows but more than an average App) maybe if they charged us we would then have regular upgrades and they would continue to make better devices.
    It is time to question these manufacturers on why they lead us up the garden path with promises or intimations (hope I spelt that right) that our devices will be upgraded, they also do a very minor upgrade of their device (Sony GS8 to their remote which will now control Bravia Stick?) to keep us hopeful and to get rid of remaining GS7.
    I have two GS7s, one is still in sealed box hoping for Jelly Bean so I can sell it.

How much would you pay?

PVM

2. PVM

PVM New Member

Pay for a upgrade not my GS7.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would be willing to pay for a new operating system for my Google TV boxes but I don't think it will ever happen, I will never have that option. I suspect the economics prevent it from happening, Android devices are either upgraded to the next Android version by the manufacturers when it makes business sense to do so or left behind when that makes business sense.

I have never chosen to buy a new Windows version for a PC I own, but at least I do have that option when the hardware is capable. Currently I have a 5 year old Windows Vista Home Premium laptop and a 3 year old Windows 7 Home Premium laptop, no plans to upgrade either since I don't think it is worth the cost.

4. PVM

PVM New Member

Yes you are right ChriG8, it is all down to being economically viable and as more TV's become integrated with Android then these boxes will become obsolete. Why can't individual developers take over, maybe they could make some money out of it or is it too costly to develop.

PVM

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google doesn't want to see these GTV devices rooted. It would be detrimental to Google's business relationship with content providers such as Netflix, Vudu, Crackle, Amazon video, etc. Google has legal agreements in place with the GTV OEMs that they are not to open up the bootloader. Maintaining these relationships with the content providers is far more important to Google's bottom line than making a handful of tech enthusiasts happy.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

You're of course right, but ultimately it's pretty silly when anyone who really wanted to copy Netflix/Vidu/Crackle/Amazon video can easily enough figure out a way to do it without having to root GTV. If GTV was open like Android was meant to be open, there'd be no talk of paying for an OS, we'd have our choice.

7. PVM

PVM New Member

All too complicated for me but I do love my gadgets and enjoy using them. Look forward to updates sometimes as much as buying the device in the first place. I hope my GS7 gets updated eventually.