Quantcast

Why cant Google?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by markmcfc, Jul 2, 2013.

1. markmcfc

markmcfc New Member

Its easier to just plug a laptop into your TV connect a wireless mouse/keyboard and bobs your uncle no more limitations on what you watch or sites you visit plus you get all the flash you need and html5.

So my question is why dont Google or anyone else for that matter just make a TVbox that runs a full version of windows surely its not that hard to do.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

You are comparing a laptop to an inexpensive streaming box, the cost of Windows makes the $99 price an impossibility. I do run a Windows PC to a display and don't like it, I much prefer the Google TV Android system for streaming but for services like Hulu licensed only for PC access, it is a necessity although even then I usually watch Hulu using PlayOn or PlayLater and Google TV. Of course if someone likes using Windows for Netflix and Amazon Instant Video and various other streaming services, a Windows PC would be a good choice but I find access using Windows clunky and don't like it, not to mention it would be too expensive to have several PCs rather than several Google TV boxes and use more electricity.

To answer your question, Windows could be used for a streaming box but nobody does because it would basically be a computer and have to be priced too high for what the market is willing to pay for this type of device. The Adobe Flashplayer is another matter and in due time, hopefully it will be history for internet TV access. I don't know how long it will take but I can't imagine much longer than a couple of years.

• Like Like x 2