Quantcast

Why Are Some YouTube Videos Now Requiring Flash 11?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 15, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Several shows that I used to like to watch on YouTube now won't play - and instead I get a message that I need to update my Flash version.

I would think that out of ALL the websites in the world - that YouTube would be the ONE site that Google would want to make sure functions well with Google TV.

I mean they have to know that Gogle TV is on Flash 10.2 right???

So what is the reason for this? Is it:

1) Google just gives GTV a really low priority and they don't care?

2) The various departments within Google are not coordinated well?

3) Maybe this is a security issue and related to DRM in some way?

Google TV is already suffering from a lack of content as it is. I just don't get it. -:(

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

This is an example of a show (see link below) that I'm talking about:

It seems that most of the shows on STV Player (Scottish Television) that used to work with GTV now require a Flash update. I have a hunch that this is related to the "official" reason that YouTube currently doesn't support movie rentals with Google TV.

It's about licensing agreements, digital rights management, and what kind of devices/screens a content provider wants to authorize for viewing. So in other words - it's the "same old same old" with certain content being selectively "blocked" on GTV. At least that's my hunch at this point.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Wow!

It's started already. Time for me to get that Chrome Notebook. I promised myself at the first sign of the internet passing this device by, I would not sit around and lose access to content because of a small client device.

Carl

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

This certainly has the potential to be a disaster for Google TV users but I am hopeful that our devices will be updated to handle Flash 11.x.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I remember going from Webtv to MSNTV 2 and feeling the power of Broadband for the first time. Then I started noticing small signs that the internet was already moving beyond our browser and memory capacity. Of course back then I had nothing to compare it with. So I stood on the reassurances of MSN claiming unlike w/Webtv, they would upgrade our browser.

With the Netflix App showing signs of becoming more troublesome, and seeing the error msg inviting me to kill unresponsive pages more often, I am definitely rethinking my departure from cable. I can definitely say no matter what happens, this is my last settop box.

But for GTV it is still early yet...

Carl

6. amesoner

amesoner New Member

I think that I can't see the city cams from this website (http_tks_ibb_gov_tr) just because of this reason?