Quantcast

Who's Winning The Race To Replace Television

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 16, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Who's Winning The Race To Replace Television? - Seeking Alpha (click for full article)

From the article:

"It is becoming clear that traditional cable television is being replaced by unbundled, online alternatives. A recent report estimated that as many as 425,000 Americans dropped cable and other pay TV services last quarter. Netflix (NFLX) was one of the first on the market and has just become the largest television content provider on the market. This should not be confused with most profitable. But as Netflix grows, there will be many other companies growing to compete with it. Keep an eye on Amazon.com (AMZN), Google (GOOG), Coinstar (CSTR), and Apple (AAPL) to go higher by providing television content.

Netflix

First and foremost, the number of subscribers who used Netflix for their primary source of television is up to 19%, an increase of 8% from the same time last year. This is a terrifying prospect for major cable TV content providers such as Viacom (VIAB) and Comcast (CMCSA). There is no doubt that companies offering traditional, legacy forms of television are being squeezed into obsolescence. However, new companies replacing the cable companies are struggling to maintain profitability. This is precisely the case with Netflix. It has seen its revenues and viewership increase while simultaneously watching its profits decrease. Unfortunately for the company, the disruption of television has come too quickly to develop a sustainable strategy. At least, it hasn't figured this out yet."

2. CatfishRivers

3. CatfishRivers

Apple and Google's Brewing TV Battle - Mobiledia (click for full article)

"Apple is on a collision course to battle Google in the television market, as the battle to bring content to living rooms heats up.

Apple is talking with Time Warner Cable and other major cable companies about providing a set-top service using Apple devices, according to the Wall Street Journal. And since Google is also making inroads to break into the TV market, another conflict between the mobile rivals is in the works, this time over establishing footholds in the television business.

News that Apple CEO Tim Cook met with a Time Warner executive follows earlier reports of Apple executives talking to phone carriers in the U.S. and cable companies in Canada about making moves into television, indicating plans have kept brewing for a while. These talks could help Apple tweak its set-top box so it is compatible with current cable services, suggesting the company is trying to enhance already established cable packages, and not compete with a whole new service.

In addition to cable, viewers want streaming television services. However, licensing content has been difficult, creating a messy, fragmented jumble of varied incomplete services like Hulu and Netflix. The company that can develop a more cohesive streaming roster, will significantly change the market. Both Apple and Google are both working towards the same goal at the same time, so they may take their mobile rivalry into a new arena."

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  4. CatfishRivers

Because That's Where The Content Is | TechCrunch (click for full article)

"When asked why he robbed banks, legend has it that Willie Sutton said, "because that's where the money is."

I'm reminded of this quote today when reading the reports that Apple is in talks with the cable operators about their television plans.

Why are they talking to them? Because that's where the content is.

This should surprise absolutely no one. In fact, the news isn't even actually new. Apple has been talking to these guys for years. And they'll keep talking to them right up until they debut whatever it is they're going to debut.

It seems that the shock of this news is more around the fact that Apple may not actually completely transform the industry overnight. No ****. You know what other industry they didn't transform over night? The mobile industry.

We all enjoy looking back fondly to the iPhone debut in 2007 as the moment when everything changed. In hindsight, it did. But it wasn't immediately apparently to many people - which is exactly why you had the infamous Steve Ballmer laugh. What Apple did back then was release the most beautiful smartphone ever created. But it was only the most beautiful smartphone ever created and not the most beautiful paperweight ever created for one reason: AT&T.

Yes, this is me giving AT&T credit for something beyond creating the worst cellular network known to man for a few years there. But it's true. The iPhone was a complete non-starter without a carrier partner. Apple did not own and/or operate a cellular network. So unless the iPhone was to be WiFi-only, they needed to cut a deal.

Which is exactly what they need to do here as well.

Believe me, it pains me to say this. I've been a happy cord cutter for well over a year now. It's mainly because I'm of the belief that if the carriers are Hades, the cable companies are Cerberus. They're all greedy giants that thrive thanks only to a complete and utter lack of competition. And the cable industry is actually much worse than the mobile industry in the U.S. because they have regional monopolies. I got sick of paying upwards of $150 a month when I really only wanted three or four channels, so I stopped. But they still have me by the balls when it comes to my internet. So when I read about a de-facto merger between Verizon and Comcast, I really want to scream. But I digress..."

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  5. Spidershowl11

Spidershowl11 New Member

Apple could, in their own unique way provide what no other Set Top Box has ever provided.
    1) The notion of an Electronic Programming Guide that doesn't let you down.
    2) An App Store-like ecosystem for the content.

6. CatfishRivers

Could Apple beat Google in the TV race? (click for full article)

Posted on Aug 18th 2012 at 10:11pm by Edgar Cervantes

"Google's entrance to the TV market has been a bit polarized; it is substantial, but not up to par with expectations. Google TV never took off and needs some serious work, but it seems Google has been ignoring the platform lately. In contrast, Google Fiber's offer is impressive, but it is growing slowly (currently only available in one market). Could it be that Apple might have a better chance at this?

Let's look at the situation before you start flaming me in the comments. I am an Android/Google fan, too. Trust me, there is nothing I would love more than to see Google succeed in this field. Google TV and Google Fiber are great services with major potential, but Google isn't taking the necessary steps for it to take off.

Google TV continues to be luxury more so than a convenience or fun product. Many of these Google TVs can be expensive. Though recent offerings are affordable (the VIZIO Co-Star being the most notable), the general consumer usually doesn't see the benefit in it. Yes, they have been selling like hot pancakes due to their price, but one company alone can't make Google TV succeed.

What we need is a unified service, and this is why Google missed out on a great opportunity while launching Google Fiber. A Google TV could have been offered with the launch of a very popular and anticipated internet and TV provider like Google Fiber. This boost is what would have ensured Google TV's future, and it seems like Apple is planning a similar move.

Cupertino might not have the best internet in the world, but rumors state that the iCompany is in talks with major cable providers in the US. This means that Apple TV could soon become much more than a cool little streaming device, it could become a "smart" set-top box that lives in most cable subscribers living rooms.

This updated Apple TV hardware/software would work as a hybrid, featuring live TV and other cable TV features, as well as internet apps and interactivity with mobile devices. But what about DVR? We all want to start recording out shows, right?"

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012