Quantcast

Who will dominate UK video streaming -The Guardian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Greenenergyassessors, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

[h=1]Battleground Britain: who will dominate UK video streaming?[/h]Aditya Kishore analyses the battle for video streaming dominance in extremely competitive UK market place.

[​IMG]How do the services compare and how are they competing? Aditya Kishore takes an in-depth look at the UK film and TV streaming market.

Clearly, Netflix dominates the US home video market: More than 30 million households subscribe to the service, it generates more than a third of all peak-time downstream traffic, has effectively driven the previous home video market leader (Blockbuster) into bankruptcy and is now competing directly with TV networks for original programming and syndicated broadcast series.
    In recent years Netflix has turned its attention beyond the US, launching in Canada, the UK and Ireland, the Nordics and Latin America. However it faces a very different landscape in these new markets. The online streaming market in the UK has been particularly quick to develop, perhaps due in part to momentum initially generated by the early launch of the BBC iPlayer. Netflix CEO Reed Hastings acknowledged its challenges, saying "There are certain markets, like the UK, that are very competitive".
    Can Netflix replicate its US success here? Given that video streaming and multiscreen delivery is probably the most significant change facing the entire film and TV industry today, correctly picking the winner could be critical. We looked at the various UK movie streaming sites today and reviewed the key issues involved with the development of this market.

Battleground Britain: who will dominate UK video streaming? | Media Network | Guardian Professional

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to follow this story. Netflix does dominate the US market now, after using the service for a couple of months, I think it is easy to see why. The selection, UI, video and audio quality are excellent for $8/month. If some company operating in the UK comes up with a better value than Netflix to dominate that market, I would sure like to see what it is.

3. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

From what I understand there could be some changes ahead.

Netflix currently is looking at charging extra for additional screens that can watch their content. They know how many people are logged into their accounts where families and extended families share memberships. Therefore with that in mind they want to get added revenue with the more screens.

NowTv allows up to 4 screens per membership, and what I understand is that Amazon is thinking of doing the same. Sport can only be had on a 1 day £9.99 basis, while the movies can be on a month by month, no contract basis. Sky needs to up the game as British Telecom is catching up fast with sport and wants to make an impact.

Therefore Netflix doesn't want to be undercut and wants to achieve a more sustainable long term model, without pricing itself out of the market. I think Amazon is the one to watch, but the biggest problem is can the UK infrastructure cope with the demand. I think not.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

My $8/month Netflix account allows 2 programs streaming simultaneously, I don't know what fees are charged for accounts that allow more. I think the limitation is not only good for Netflix but the content owners surely require it as part of their contracts.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014