Quantcast

Who ordered a Google Chromecast?

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by wicked, Jul 24, 2013.

1. wicked

wicked Administrator Staff Member

Just wanted to see how many members have ordered the Chromecast. Post in here if you have!

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Ordered! :)

3. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

Google has already sold out of the chromecast. Next shippment is a month from now or next Monday at your local best buy while supplies last.

Google has a winner her this will out sell both roku and apple tv

4. Obonaven

Obonaven New Member

order from Amazon last night

5. scubaman

scubaman New Member

Hopefully not for the $90 amazon sculpers are trying to get today!

6. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I just picked up from local Best Buy local store and will try to play around with it tonight.

7. Obonaven

Obonaven New Member

Just the $35.00. Due in about aug 22 I think i said

8. ETPhoneHomeT

ETPhoneHomeT New Member

Scored one yesterday at local BB. Didn't get to play with it too much last night but what I did see was pretty awesome. I got the 3 months free Netflix deal too so net cost around $13 after sales tax!

9. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

I ordered one from Amazon about 20 minutes before they pulled the plug on the Netflix promotion. The Chromecast was on back order so may be some time before I receive it but with the Netflix offer I couldn't refuse.

I bought it with the thought that when I travel (2-3X/month) for business I can plug it into the hotel TV via the HDMI jack (on most hotel TV's) and wi-fi and bring my Netflix, movies and TV shows with me. Previously I needed to watch them on my tablet but now I'll get the full benefit of the big screen.

Also wondered when I'm home if I could use it to get shows from my Revue from one TV to another (not sure why I would want to do this, but, curious if it would work).

10. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

How useful will this be for us Google TV users?

11. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Second generation Google TV models should be updated to double as a Chromecast device according to statements from Google, this device should be redundant for owners of the second generation models after that happens. For owners of the first generation model, it might provide some value, that would depend on the user.

12. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

I just preordered on Amazon - I have a tv in our extra bedroom that this can be put on to - or even in our playroom. If I ever get it I'll report back but I think many will beat me to the review

13. veraderock

veraderock Administrator Staff Member

Ordered, and arrived last week!

14. veraderock

veraderock Administrator Staff Member

Although, I still think it's a great travel device.. Perfect for getting you music/youtube/netflix on a hotel room TV.

15. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

I ordered a Chromecast via Amazon about 20 minutes before they ran out of the limited 3 months free Netflix offer (lucky).
    The Chromecast device was on back order when I submitted my order. This afternoon I got an email from Amazon confirming that I qualified for the Netflix offer and stating that I would receive the offer code approx. 5 days after they ship my Chromecast. Only problem seems to be that they still don't know when that will be as almost a full week after ordering (on July 24th), they still do not have a firm date when they will be available to ship again.

16. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

I went to my local best buy surprise of surprise I got a google chromecast.

They had them in the back even thou their site stated none left.

With a chrome on a PC I was able to stream from any streaming site.

The rep from google told me their is a firmware update due in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Hi,

btw, any official links to Chromecast/Google TV integration?

I found this article, but it sounds more like just thoughts ...

... "Google's official line is that they're excited about both devices and that they even want to integrate Chromecast into Google TV products" ...

Google Chromecast offers more questions than answers - Jul. 31, 2013

update: seems according to this article, Google TV (ARM based) may integrate the Chromecast (w/ JB update) next month? :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  18. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have seen several statements from Google regarding adding Chromecast to Google TV in some form but until it happens, I can't conclude it will happen for certain or if implemented will be designed in a manner that is as useful as the Chromecast dongle.

I just ordered one of these from Best Buy to hedge my bets, I hope Google TV gets Chromecast and it does everything the dongle does and more, but just in case it doesn't, I will have one of these to play with.

19. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    I took that approach, at least to play with it. But, surprise ... :eek: they hijacked it form me @ home ... now i know why this little stick is going places :D so I'm looking to get more ... or find out if GTV is really a candidate for this & when? (since technically is doable)

Btw, there are number of things to consider when you plug it to ur AVR - here.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  20. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

well, bestbuy sold out a few hours ago.. i think i got in before the back order either way.. i have the net flix for 3 months so now i can see how the nsz gs7 really works with voice recognition.. and it looks like plex is keen on putting this feature in the plex.. im not sure how they will grab the address from the server for local content it may be they have to use web plex as the launch.. and then call that url.. but i dunno... and xbmc seems like a good application for it... being able to google cast xbmc running on a nexus 7 or what ever and taking that content what ever it may be and throwing it to C-cast.. more i think about it it seems like this would be a great addition to GTV... i just could not wait... not with the free netflix... heck.. should have bought 2 and ebay the other one for 100 bucks...