Quantcast

Who is responsable for udating, Google or Sony?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by srramalot, Dec 28, 2010.

1. srramalot

srramalot New Member

I received a Sony BluRay/Google TV for Christmas. As of now I am pleased with it (I need one feature and I'll be content for a little bit), but I do have some concerns. I also have a Motorola Droid X, and I was wondering if the update system was the same. As of now (with the Droid X) Google will come up with a update, and then Motorola will take its sweet ass time getting out to the phones (like the Droid X) because they have their own UI and other little tweeks to it. I am not a fan of this at all because you are at the mercy of the hardware company. Is it the same for the Google TV? Being that I have a Sony box, will I have to wait for Sony to push the update, or will I get updates once Google releases them? Does anyone know?

2. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I'm pretty sure this one is all Google...I really hope so....I have a Droid and man Motorola totally sucks at updates...and by the time they do release one it cripples the phone. I've refused to update my phone since they have made it incrementally worse! Plus they refuse to up the clock speed to a useable rate....so I have to root every time a new update comes out just to have it not be slow as hell.

3. srramalot

srramalot New Member

I have a Droid X and I go through the same s***. I would really like to find out who pushes the updates. Learning from the Motorola experiences, if it is up to the hardware company, I will return the Sony NSZ-GT1. Already the Logitech Revue has one feature that the Sony doesn't, which makes me lean towards they are on different versions of the OS. I can not search DLNA content, but the Revue can...I refuse to play the waiting/hoping game like I do with my phone.

4. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Sony TV does DLNA...just go into the media player and select source. I used it all the time until I got my Mac Mini.

I was using PS3 Media Server, and for the most part (meaning any video that doesn't have DTS encoded audio) it worked perfectly.

5. srramalot

srramalot New Member

I know, I have Playback on my Mac and the NSZ-GT1 finds all the content and plays fine. The huge problem I'm having right now is I can't SEARCH the content. If you goto the Settings>Search menu on the Logictech Revue, you will find a check box that says "search DLNA or network content". If you check that, hit the quick search button, and type in a playlist name you have on the DLNA network (or even a movie) it till come up. I do not have that option with my NSZ-GT1. So I can play anything on my DLNA network, but I have 500+ GB of media (it's all organized really nice), but it's close to useless. I cant manually look through all that stuff, it would take me so long to scroll to a certain playlist. This is why I think (almost know) that they are on different versions of the OS. I can't find any information on who does the updating.

6. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Ah gotcha. I always had all my content on a separate partition nicely organized by genre....now plex does all that on top of what I already do.

7. srramalot

srramalot New Member

So if I'm understanding you, you have a Sony NSZ-GT1 and you use a Mac mini with Plex for all your media? What do you use the Google TV for? The reason why I wanted the Google TV was to be able to access everything on my network through my entertainment center with one device. So far it does in fact do that, but it's not very user friendly, it borderline works against me. If I was able to search just my DLNA server, I would move everything on my network to it and not worry about network drives or anything else. Once/if that happens I'll shut up and enjoy everything on my TV. I have WAY to much content to flip through manually, and even with it nicely organized it's a huge task to get to a Pearl Jam (or better yet, a Tool) playlist. Hitting the quick search button and typing "pearl jam ten" and then playing the playlist would be perfect.

8. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I'm thinking this is among the reasons Google is wanting no CES GTV coverage..they really need to fix the DLNA stuff..it's supposed to be a standard, and simply work, ferchrissakes.

9. srramalot

srramalot New Member

Well, looking into this the UI for the Revue and the NSZ-GT1, their a little different. From what I can see, the Logitech UI has a little more color in the menus, as opposed to the black and white UI that Sony has. This makes me nervous because that means Sony and Logitech will be responsable for pushing the updates to the devices, and I've learned in the past that this can be VERY disappointing (I had a Droid Incredible, and I have a Droid X now). Both of them are SUPER slow with updates, and some phones don't get updates at all. I don't know how I feel about this. Seeing that Logitech already has features that I want/need, I might be getting rid of Google TV all together. If I'm right, and the hardware companies are in charge of updates, this is going to be exactly like the android phones, and I don't want to deal with it. If they are going to maket this the right way, it needs to perform the same on all devices. You don't get a different version on Windows on different computers, you dont get a different version of Mac OS. Why do you get different versions of Android with every device you buy/see, it's crazy. Make the base Android the standard and push it to all devices. This is going to be the downfall of this whole movement. Too many versions of the same OS is VERY problematic.

10. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

I understand where you are coming from. but we have yet to see a update (well I bought mine after Dec. 15. so I do not know who did the update push that time. But I say "lets give'em a chance" hey who knows.... could be the first time in history that a company is going to get it right the first time! Here is to hope!

11. srramalot

srramalot New Member

It's already been proven with the Android phones that it's problematic. A lot of people wind up rooting there phones to get basic features that other phones have. This whole concept of companies adding a UI layer to the OS is HORRIBLE. Let the OS be what it is, and if anything, let the user add something like Launcher Pro, or Home+ (like you can do once the phones have been rooted). A company with an open concept, should be infact, open. Everyone then would be able to get the same updates at the same time. When it comes down to the software that the companies add, let them update them through the android market...The whole system would WORK then...but who wants that...

12. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

Life will be great once we are able to root our little black boxes.

The android market is best when combined with a rooted device. Let's hope for this to come soon as this will indeed enhance and move our devices in a positive forward direction.

Sent via my rooted Droid Captivate running 2.3 gingerbread.

13. srramalot

srramalot New Member

I have a Sony BluRay, I doubt this thing is going to be rooted.