Quantcast

Which is better Google Chromecast or Roku?

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by beArZ, Jun 10, 2014.

1. beArZ

beArZ New Member

I have looked at both but can't decide, I looked at all the roku channels and there's only a handful of channels I would use, and most of them are news channels and/or stuff I can access on my computer. I plan on signing up for Hulu Plus and I am gonna buy an antenna so that takes care of that. I know that I can use the chromecast feature from my cell phone to play movies and tv shows that I have downloaded/will download from google play on my tv, so that's one big advantage and I am leaning towards the chromecast. What do you think, what is your opinion and why?

[​IMG]

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have Chromecast and two different Roku models. I prefer Roku for the way I like to do things and I don't even own the newest and best Roku, the Roku 3. I will say I like both and if finding something to watch by using a smart phone or tablet was my preferred method, Chromecast would be great. If I had a collection of Google Play movies, that might tend to change the preference as well. Both work as advertised is my assessment but I don't use either much, I prefer Google TV which merges traditional TV, in my case TiVo and OTA, with internet TV and provides a qwerty keyboard or keypad for searches.

3. Pailhead

Pailhead New Member

I have a Roku on one TV and a Chromecast on another TV. If I had to choose only one, it would be Chromecast. I prefer the ease of syncing the chromecast to my phone (and on occasion my computer) over the interface/controller of the Roku.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I say I'd choose the Chromecast now because I'm not currently streaming the NHL season through my Roku player. So I might actually choose a Roku over a Chromecast. Mirroring hockeystreams.com through the Chromecast does not provide the same quality of video that a Roku does.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  4. ChrisG8

As far as Roku channels, I will guess about 40% of the 1,000 or however many are claimed now are religious channels. I like the Roku ESPN3 channel best among those offered and it was added sometime in summer 2013 if I recall correctly. A lot of the channels work really well but after adding and testing, I never go back to use them. Unfortunately HBOGo doesn't work with Roku if you are a Comcast subscriber but does work with Chromecast. I do expect Comcast to add Roku but don't have any idea if or when that will happen.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. ChrisG8

He talks about the Chromecast desktop browser extension as if it is something worth using at this point. It has been a while since I tried it, 50Mbps download, first with a laptop running an Intel i7-740QM and later with a newer laptop and much better Intel i7-3630QM, the results I obtained were not worth messing with. I keep on intending to go back and try again to see if it is worth using and if someone can state it has improved, I will be more likely to do that. My newer laptop is no slouch and if it can't make it work well enough to use, I can't see how many others can either.

7. ChrisG8

I just tried the Chromecast browser casting again with the i7-3630 laptop, 8GB RAM, Windows 8.1 update. The results casting news clips from CNN were about the same as before, not worth using. It quickly switches to the correct HDMI input, video starts but while playing flawlessly on the laptop, it sputters and freezes using Chromecast. I didn't try allowing it to buffer for long periods but the laptop clip status bar shows video has been buffered well beyond the point playing.If there is a trick to making this work, I would like to learn it but I suspect it still just isn't ready for prime time. I don't really need the feature but I was curious.

8. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

My Chromecast just sits around doing nothing. The Roku would get my vote in this context.