Quantcast

Which device to go for?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by alsolh, Feb 17, 2013.

1. alsolh

alsolh New Member

I had a samsung allshare cast device that mirrors my phone on the TV, i really liked the Android experience on TV however i would like to dedicate an android device for my TV now

Unfortunately all official google tv boxes i read about are still on honycomb, is there an android tv box that supports HDMI passthrough with jellybeans built on it? if not could you please assist me which device to go for from the below:
    • Vizio
    • Hisense
    • Netgear
    • A used Sony NSZ-GS7
    • A refurbished revue
    And is it the right time to go for GoogleTV or is there an upcoming android 4.0+ GoogleTV device within the coming 2 months?

Please note that i dont care about the netflix or any subscription application that comes built in with the GoogleTV device since i live in the middle east and cannot have benifit to any of them...

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

There has been no announcement as far as I know regarding when Google TV will be updated to 4.x, all up to date Google TV boxes currently run 3.2x. Without knowing more about what you want from Google TV, it is hard to recommend a specific model but I think the Sony NSZ-GS7 is the best box made to date so if price isn't an issue, that would be my recommendation. I have three different models and love all three but in general, I would say I am among the most enthusiastic users and I am able to get all of mine to do what I want, knowing the limitations of the boxes I don't ask for things the boxes can't do. The average user seems to have a lot of problems and spends a lot of time complaining would be my observation.

There are no other Android devices designed to be connected to the HDMI input with HDMI pass through I am aware of. There are quite a number of devices without HDMI pass through running 4.x.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Chris how would you rate the Sony NSZ-GS7 compared to the Logitech Revue? Faster? More stable? If someone owns a Revue but doesn't care about the new Vudu app, Amazon app, Voice control etc. is it worth dumping a Revue for the Sony NSZ-GS7 at this time? Thanks......

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If you don't care about the new apps requiring the new ARM processor, no, in my opinion there would be no reason to upgrade from the Revue to the NSZ-GS7. Right now mine is back in the box while I continue to use a Logitech Revue, I couldn't get the Logitech K700 keyboard working properly with it and using the small keyboard wasn't comfortable to me. I will try again when I have some time and if I can't get it working right, will try to learn to use the cute little controller, I do want access to the new apps only available with the new boxes. I may wait until Sony is rolling out the new update before getting the NSZ-GS7 back out, I like to use these things, not spend lots of time setting them up.

As far as speed and stability, I see both the NSZ-GT1 and NSZ-GS7 as slightly better than the Revue, but I rarely have issues with the Revue and think it is a great product. Right now since the NSZ-GT1 works perfectly with my preferred controller, the K700 keyboard, it is the best box for me. The NSZ-GS7 looks like the Revue, has two USB ports, optical audio output and the onscreen menu looks the same, and even the light on front of the box looks close. If the K700 keyboard will work the way I want, it could be called a Logitech Revue 2. All I did with the NSZ-GT1 was pair the K700 keyboard to a unifying adapter, select the proper components and the K700 worked perfectly with it. The same procedure didn't work with the NSZ-GS7 so I need to spend some time, try some trouble shooting, and maybe it will eventually work perfectly. I did see some steps at the Sony site to attempt but haven't taken the time yet to try.

I would like to see some benchmark results comparing the Intel Atom 1.7GHz chip used with the NSZ-GT1 to the Marvell Armada 1500 1.2GHz dual core ARM processor used with the NSZ-GS7, I am not sure there is much difference based on using both so far. Both beat the Revue Intel Atom 1.2GHz chip, but even that isn't great in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2