Quantcast

Where's The Smart TV Payoff?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 23, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Light Reading Cable - IP & Convergence - Where's the Smart TV Payoff? - Telecom News Analysis (click for full article)

"Does putting an app on every IP-connected device under the sun make business sense?

Blip.tv apparently doesn't think so. According to NewTeeVee, Blip has been quietly abandoning a number devices, including the Boxee box and smart TVs from Samsung Corp. and Vizio Inc. , with an exit from TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO) on deck.

Blip, which offers original video series via broadband, says its producers are having trouble making money on these platforms, though it intends to keep several distribution partners, including YouTube Inc. , Google TV, Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL)' s iTunes and Roku Inc. boxes.

MSOs are also developing apps to deliver authenticated VoD content to retail platforms like the Xbox 360, but are expected to limit distribution to the most popular devices so they can avoid getting snared in an app-management nightmare."

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

This internet TV thing provides the promise of a big market but where any profits will be earned has always been a puzzle to me.

3. Instrumental

Instrumental New Member

Just like all media, advertising. We DVR pretty much everything we watch, which means we don't watch pretty much any commercial. When I do watch on-demand content, I HAVE to watch at least some advertising. I don't understand why the cable/broadcasters don't get that.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I understand we are all looking to advertisers as a way to fund internet TV and then we are all looking for ways to avoid watching the ads, the bottom line is it is going to be very tough for this business model to work.

5. Instrumental

Instrumental New Member

Chris, I don't think you understand what I'm saying. With the DVR, it's easy to avoid commercials on standard TV. I rarely watch them any more.

Online/On Demand content puts up commercials, maybe only 1 or 2, but that's 1 or 2 that I will watch, as I don't have a choice. So, that one commercial on demand trumps 30 on regular TV.

6. thekylesouza

thekylesouza New Member

You don't need an app on every device platform, just the main one(s). Ads are where a lot of money will come from, this is why Google has invested in a TV platform (their an ad company, remember?), like Instrumental says, there are some times you just can't skip ads.