Quantcast

Where is VuDu ?

Discussion in 'Sony NSZ-GT1' started by DFox5, Nov 18, 2012.

1. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

I bought the GT1 several months ago so it's not very old. What I am wondering is, where is Vudu for it? It has Flixster and Google Play. Flixster is not high definition but Vudu is. I don't think Google or Sony or whoever is responsible for what's on the box should make us a captive customer. Everybody wants to be the one selling and renting the users movies but we should have a choice since Vudu is the best right now. Ultraviolet may become as good as Vudu since they say players are coming.

What will happen is customers will begin to avoid products that do not have Vudu or Ultraviolet and those of us that bought this product will be left with a junk player as far as apps are concerned. I just checked the price of the GT1 and it's about $350. For that, I could buy 3 bluray, wifi, internet capable players. So is this now just a piece of obsolete junk?

2. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

If you want all in one streaming the Roku2XS is what fits the bill.I have the XDS but my Blu Ray has Vudu and I use my GS7 to surf the net everyday.Roku doesn't even have a youtube app yet but the Sony youtube app is tops.As far as GTV getting Vudu with it's low user base remains to be seen.

3. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

Thanks but I just bought and installed a Sony bluray and Samsung led tv... both have wifi and vudu plus a lot of others. It pretty much makes my Google / Sony GT1 obsolete.. but.... what makes the GT1 my favorite to use is the little keypad remote... most of what is out right now does not have anything close to it and it works really good.... I just hate to lose it because the apps won't be there for it.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No Vudu, no Hulu Plus and no Amazon Instant Video movies in HD are my biggest complaints with Google TV but I have no idea if any of those will be added. I use Vudu several times each month, I have a couple of Blu-ray players that have really good Vudu apps.

5. wwsiralexd

wwsiralexd New Member

The world does not revolve around you. Just because whatever apps you want are not available does not make anything obsolete.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO the reason there is no Vudu app is the same reason there is no Hulu Plus app on GTV. There is certainly no technical reason why GTV boxes couldn't handle a VUDU app. It's all about licensing issues involving GTV.

It's kind of a mystery though why most other devices such as Apple TV, Roku, Smart TVs, XBox, etc. can land the Hulu Plus & Vudu apps - while GTV cannot. Apparently the big movie studios/content owners have some kind of irrational fear of GTV - either that or Google refuses to pony up enough money to strike a deal. In other words the content owners probably want "an arm & a leg" to license for GTV.

By the way Walmart owns Vudu and IMO it's thus no coincidence that Walmart carries all the major TV set-top boxes that support Vudu (Apple TV, Roku, even the new Boxee TV) - but currently Walmart carries no GTV boxes......

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  7. ChrisG8

Roku only recently added Vudu, let's hope Google TV is next.

8. CatfishRivers

I hope so too - although I did a bit more research and Walmart is now even carrying several obscure "android TV" boxes. I did a search for "Google TV" on the Walmart web site and this is what I came up with:

google tv - Walmart.com

It appears Walmart carries just about every major media box (I forgot to mention that they also carry the "WD TV Live" streaming box) - and even a few "off-the-wall" obscure android TV devices before they will carry a GTV box. Yeah the GTV devices might be a bit more complicated to use than the others - but IMO this is a snub by Walmart of the GTV platform.

If Google could somehow strike a deal with Vudu/(Walmart) to get Vudu on GTV devices - I'm sure that we would then subsequently see Walmart carrying GTV devices. So if Google could pull it off somehow - it would be a win-win situation for the GTV platform.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  9. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

I think if my NSZ-GT1 had Vudu, it would be the best thing out for watching TV except for being built into the TV instead of a box. Nothing else I know of can match Primetime, Media Player, or the Sony remote keypad. I use Primetime as a TV guide instead of what's in the cable box.

I looked at the Vudu site and it says under devices it is available for virtually every bluray device out... but they should have added "except for Google bluray" lol I have noticed all the other Sony products that are not Google have Vudu so that's strange. I sent an email to Sony support and supposed to have a reply by tomorrow... just not sure if it will be an answer

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  10. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

Update: I got my reply from Sony and it's like I thought. Just a reply and no answer. I asked if Vudu would be available and Sony said

"I'm sorry to inform you that no updates are currently available for the Internet TV Blu-ray Disc Player to support the VUDU Internet video service."

I already knew that.

11. ChrisG8

That is all Sony knows, Vudu is not available with any Google TV device, nothing whatsoever to do with Sony, it is the platform that isn't licensed for Vudu and WalMart may not want Vudu on Google TV or the content owners may not want Vudu on Google TV. After a few years, Vudu is finally available on Roku which is a much more popular box so there may be hope for Google TV. Sony will hear about it from Google if it happens and I would imagine be the first company to update Google TV players with Vudu.

12. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

Well, here is my ultimatum to Google.

Put Vudu on the NSZ-GT1 within 6 months or I am going to throw out my TV. There is no way I'll give up my GT1 :mad:

Then I'll have my Google stuff on the GT1 and Vudu on the TV. That oughta fix it.

13. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

I don't believe the comments about a license to have Vudu on the Google TV's and here's why:

I think Vudu would be more than happy to have it on the Google TV because any sales or rentals makes money for Vudu. I think it is Google that does not want Vudu because Google wants to rent and sale through Google Play Store which makes money for Google.

If Vudu was on the Google TV, most people would not want to use Google Play, Amazon, or any of the others and Google would lose money. Sony also has their "SEN" Sony Entertainment Network so they can rent and sale but Sony does have Vudu on their other products which makes it look even more like Google is the problem.

14. CatfishRivers

15. CatfishRivers

Interesting take on the situation. Outside of the actual parties involved I don't think anyone really knows with certainty. I will say in regards to Hulu Plus I have seen the Hulu support reps in their forum specifically state that the reason there is no Hulu Plus app for GTV is due to licensing issues between all the parties involved.

I am not a big fan of the ala carte TV/Movie rentals & purchases from Google Play Store. The idea of "cutting the cord" to save money is quickly offset if one makes a bunch of movie/TV show purchases from Google Play. It adds up quick....

However IMO Google could really give a big lift to the GTV platform if they started a monthly subscription service (from Google Play Store) for Google TV users. That would be something I would probably be interested in. Not interested in paying $10 per movie or whatever. Also why not have a free live GTV channel with 24 hour programming? If GTV users had access to unique exclusive content offerings/sources - interest in the platform would escalate IMO.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  16. ChrisG8

I don't really even know what you are claiming here but if you mean Google is the problem because WalMart won't license Vudu for use with Google TV, that may be true which is what I stated as the apparent reason. If you think Google is preventing Vudu from being offered with any Google TV device, I find that very unlikely provided WalMart hasn't asked anything extraordinary from Google. Google would prefer we rent movies from Google Play or YouTube but consumers want the option of renting from any available source and the way for Google to achieve their goals for movie rentals and sales is to offer the best products at the best prices, more Google TV devices in consumers hands gives Google a bigger market to serve and if Vudu and Hulu Plus were available on Google TV, the product would sell much better.

Sony offers Blu-ray players and streaming boxes with Vudu and Hulu Plus but not when the product is a Google TV device, the same can be said for LG and Vizio. Google's market share has been lagging behind Roku, Apple TV, XBox 360, PS3 and the various other streaming boxes currently including Vudu and Hulu Plus but sales are apparently picking up and the bigger the market, the better the chance the services will be added, let's hope so anyway.

17. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

What I am saying is I don't think it has anything to do with a license from Walmart.

I think Google is trying to have a captive customer base and it will eventually cost Google and already is. The hardware is Sony and only the software is Google. Google wants to push Google Play but everybody knows Vudu is better. Eventually nobody will want anything with Google OS on it since it does not have Vudu. When that happens Google will not only lose sales in Google Play but also lose because nobody wants the hardware with Google OS on it.

Here is another point about Vudu. I have a bookcase half full of bluray discs. Some have Ultraviolet copy and some don't. If I buy from Vudu, I also get an Ultraviolet copy on those that have it but the difference is with Vudu, even if it does not have an Ultraviolet copy, I still have SD, HD, and HDX formats stored at Vudu. That's even better than buying the bluray at the store and several dollars cheaper. The bluray from the store just fills up my bookcase and I may or may not have an online copy. Now that is cutting the cable to the store.

On cutting the cable to the service provider. Not likely since I like NFL and NHRA in HD but suppose I didn't. My service provider requires I buy TV in order to get internet and I think it's like that with all cable companies. The only thing left is satellite internet and way too expensive and DSL which is way too slow.

I have looked everywhere for a way to ask Google about this and nowhere to be found. Google does not like or provide and easy way for people to contact them so if any of you know a way to get a straight answer from them, PLEASE POST IT.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  18. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

It's definitely not like that for all cable companies. I know they really try hard to push their bundles on customers, but I've never heard of then forcing people to buy TV service if they only want internet. To prove you wrong, I have cable internet, but no TV service.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

19. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

I have Charter cable and I have to buy at least basic tv before I can get internet. Seems like it should be illegal. :confused: and if I do that, they bump up the price of basic tv and internet to where it costs almost as much as full service.

20. ChrisG8

I am using U-verse internet without TV service, $30/month for up to 12Mbps but I expect to see great offers for bundled services and any offer to continue internet only to be more expensive when my contract is up in a few months. No question that all cable companies want to make a profit and bundling service is the best way but excluding customers that are only interested in internet seems stupid to me and I expect fewer will do that going forward. I switched from Comcast, internet only, to U-verse when Comcast increased the internet only rates but I still get offers for bundled services at discounts from Comcast. If U-verse won't provide internet service only at a good price, I will try to find a company that will but I think my only options are Comcast and AT&T U-verse at this point.