Quantcast

Where Google is Going with this Platform

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by rgweatherred, Nov 13, 2010.

1. rgweatherred

rgweatherred New Member

It just came to me, while watching an episode of 'No Ordinary Family' that Google's plans might be bigger than anything we realize.

If Google can negotiate deals with the major broadcasters, the premiums, or networks like AMC & FOX these deals will all come down to $$$$.

The networks fear that allowing Google TV to access their sites will lead to loss of viewers, the cutting the cord phenomenon.

Once the deals are in place, and they will all revolve around advertising revenue, the networks will be racing to the Googleplex for part of the action.

Here's why:

The first iteration of Google TV lays a pretty slick interface over traditional, cable provided TV. Sony agreed so much that they've brought out a complete line of Google enabled flat screens.

As we've seen this new interface provides for pretty seamless interaction between the web and our TV's.

The networks will team up with Google because of the huge potential for targeted advertising. There is no other medium where targeted advertising has such a huge potential as TV and I think Google recognizes this.
    Imagine:

Watching an episode of Glee and you really like the song. Click on the icon at the bottom of the screen and you're offered a 30 second preview. If you accept, your viewing session is paused as you evaluate the track. Buy or not it's your decison back to the episode.

During the same scene, you really like what Rachael is wearing. Place you cursor over her skirt and immediately Chrome takes you to a page where you can purchase the same outfit.

The possibilities are endless and I think that the majors are blocking Google TV at the present time less from fear of the Google TV platform but rather they are looking for the best revenue sharing model with GTV.

2. simplygoogletv

simplygoogletv New Member

Seems like those types of interactions should be possible if the networks get on board, since they would likely have to generate the metadata necessary to know who made a skirt, or who's song that is. I have no doubt they will eventually end this blockade, and I think you are right, they need to find their best revenue sharing model.