Quantcast

Where are the apps?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Tinman, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Tinman

Tinman New Member

Hi, I am new to the forum and I have read some of the threads with comments on a May date for the Apps to become available and also spoke with GTV and their rep told me a couple months. But does ANYONE really know for sure when the Apps will become available? I was shocked to find out AFTER buying GTV that there were no apps available for it yet. How can you sell a product with one of the major features disabled.
    I cant tell you how disappointed I was and how needed the Apps are for this equitment.
    I see a lot of potental for this device but YIKES no Apps?? I just cant understand why it would be held back.
    Where can I sign up to be a Beta tester? :)

Thanks

2. harley man

harley man New Member

hi and welcome google has said all a long that it would be some time in the spring we just are a few days in spring so hopefully soon

3. galfert

galfert Active Member

You signed up for beta testing the day you bought your Google TV. ....That was a joke.

In all seriousness I've not heard that anyone is beta testing the app market. Google is keeping this one to themselves for testing.

The app market wasn't held back. When Google TV was realeased it didn't exist. It existed for touch screen devices but not for Google TV. Would some apps work without modification...yes...but the app market had no way to let programmers differentiate their apps. Also Google has not finished their Google TV Software Development Kit (SDK) for programmers to use. There is a lot going on that you are not considering that has to be in place. Google isn't holding off the app market because they just feel like it. It just isn't ready or rather doesn't exist even in beta.

Google said from day one that the app market would not be available till Spring 2011. So there really is no justifiable reason to feel incredulous to the fact that there is no app market yet. If summer comes with no app market then we all will have a justifiable reason to feel mislead.

I'm actually happy that Google released this product before it was ready. I'm able to enjoy what they have done today rather than wait till the entire vision is complete. Besides software is never final. It is almost a Google corporate mantra to release products that are still in beta. How many years was Google Search in beta? ...How about Gmail? Google Voice? ....Just about every Google product or service is beta and available to everyone before it is ready. I'm happy that I get to enjoy what they have engineered before it is ready. You contradict yourself. You complain about Google releasing a product before it is ready with no app market and then you say you want to be a beta tester. So which is it???? And why did you buy before the app market was available anyway?....it wasn't a secret....they didn't con you. The fact that you found out that the app market was not available until after you purchased is your own fault....you made an assumption and you didn't do your research. Every marketing medium I saw on Google TV prominently had a disclaimer that there was no app market till Spring 2011.

I'm tired of hearing people complain about no app market yet. I'm biting heads off. Maybe tomorrow I'll get out of bed on the other side....but today ...this is who I am.
    Sheez!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  4. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

And it's a daily complaint wherever you turn too. I'm looking forward to the Adobe Pass I just read about ... that would unlock a lot more for me userability than the app market, which is absolutely guaranteed to be released this year AND will be awesome.

5. Tinman

Tinman New Member

Thanks for the response's. I am looking forward to the release. i guess I just have to be patient. Galfart, I wasn't contridicting myself when I said where do i sign up for Beta testing. It was merely a way to get to the apps sooner :)
    No I did not do a ton of research before buying it. Actually I was looking at Boxee most of the time and when I finally tested it I just didnt like it like I thought I would. I was under a time constraint so i had tried Google at Best buy and figured I would just go with that.
    Ya see I do not have it. I bought it as a Gift for my 85 yr old Mother and her husband.
    I just wanted them to be able to enjoy it before they couldnt. they have a Large screen Plasma TV so I figured I could bring you tube and email ect to their living room and they might enjoy the net more than going in the office to a junky old computer. I still have to redo that PC and network it to the GTV But the Apps would be great for their email and other things since I am pushing the envelope with them on this already :)
    Thanks for the info. I knew very little about it when i bought it.

6. galfert

galfert Active Member

Gmail works great on Google TV and you don't need an app for that. And remember Gmail can be configured to fetch POP email and it can also send email as another email address and you can choose the default outgoing address to use.

7. Tinman

Tinman New Member

You may have a good point. I was think about using a forwarding address. But thought it might get confusing to them. I may have to check into it more.
    They have comcast accounts so I setup their email and logged them in and bookmarked it,
    Problem was My mothers husband has a different account and when I did them both it would only bookmark one or the other. (same address) then after 14 days it forgot the password. I dont recall if I had remember me checked so I am trying again now with it.
    But still it will not save both accounts.
    It sounds like your saying I can set it up thru the Gmail to retrieve their email and when it sends it uses the comcast address. that would work and then if I can creat one for him and one for her.....
    now they have to log into each email to get their email so it now has become more of a hassle than walking up to the computer which has both accounts saved.

They want seperate accounts so I cannot share an inbox. that would have been too easy :)

8. henry5

henry5 New Member

I'm actually happy that Google released this product before it was ready. I'm able to enjoy what they have done today rather than wait till the entire vision is complete...

9. harley man

harley man New Member

I feel the same way my glass is half full not half empty

10. Stuckinthe70s

Stuckinthe70s New Member

And I am happy since setting up my sister's Samsung with its enormous amount of apps but no browser, I am doubly happy. Its perfect for my sister but me, did not like it. So I am willing to wait for the apps.

11. Stuckinthe70s

Stuckinthe70s New Member

I am missing this apps terribly. Any ideas? Is this part of the apps to be released Spring 2011?

12. Luca

Luca New Member

In the spring? Spring 2012?

• Like Like x 2
  13. digdow

digdow New Member

Wow, I can't believe it! :rolleyes:
    Google's public release date for the App Store has come and gone. Also, not a peep from them too.....

14. DCAlexandria

DCAlexandria Member

Wrong. Summer ends sept 22

15. Raketemensch

Raketemensch New Member

Which was yesterday :]

16. brenopoubel

brenopoubel New Member

I'm planning to buy a Logitech Revue, so where are Google TV Apps? is one specific Market online for that or it works with Android Market?

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Officially, there is no current app store available to Google TV. You'd have to install the developer's leak(s) in order to participate on the Android Market with Google TV. We're all impatiently waiting for the update that will include access to Google's Android Market.

18. rob0602

rob0602 New Member

Hey...I'm a newbie....am I to understand that GTV owners will be able to install apps on their TVs just as gphone owners do on their mobile devices??? Why does that seem...bizarre or so unlikely? Are GTVs expected to be able to pick up an OS or different browser options?

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Eventually. People who are on the developer's leak is already doing that with their Logitech Revue.

Maybe because Google has been promising this the Android Market to be available in early 2011 since it was released. And that they have missed at least four separate timeline projections for making it public.

No, the Google TV operating system is a superset of the Android platform. You won't be able to change that (at least officially). As for the rest of it, the Android Market will have an array of applications available even browsers.