Quantcast

when i use USB flash drive Sony NSZ-GS7 it crashes, it just reboots on its own

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by mandam, Dec 30, 2012.

1. mandam

mandam New Member

hi guys just a noob here but can someone help me with this my sony nsz-gs7 box always crash's n reboots when i put a usb drive in it i have never had a problem with it until now if i take the usb drive out my Sony works fine also the usb drive is a Kingston 32 gig data traveler and yes it it works fine never had a problem with it just stared doing this last two days so can someone help me please thank you

2. Paul1201

Paul1201 New Member

After the most recent update my Sony unit started doing this also. Whenever a FAT32 USB HDD or memory stick was plugged in it will crash, reboot, crash, reboot, etc. Remove the drive and it works fine. I reformatted my USB HDD to NTFS which fixed the crash and reboot problem however now I can't write to the drive.

I even called Sony who walked me through a complete data wipe of the unit and the problem was still there. They had me return the unit for exchange and when the new unit came it had the same problem after the update was applied.

• Like Like x 2
  3. guest

guest Active Member

Are there any other Google TV platforms having this issue? I'm using a Logitech Revue and did have an issue with a USB today [screen froze - twice], but a week ago, I successfully loaded 50 MP3's into the same USB while it was connected to the Revue.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I want you to try something. It requires a free app, Smart Ram Booster, so if you haven't installed Smart Ram Booster, install it and watch it after inserting a USB drive and see if the available RAM disappears right before it crashes. If that is what happens, it might be useful information to give to Sony. Either way, I am sure Sony can fix the issue quickly.

5. guest

guest Active Member

Could it be their USB's are corrupted/contain a virus? If after installing Smart Ram Booster, the available RAM disappears, would that be confirmation of a virus "gobbling" up the ram?

6. Paul1201

Paul1201 New Member

Yes Smart RAM booster shows the free RAM decreasing until the unit crashes. I did make the Sony tech support rep aware of that when I called them.

I highly doubt it is caused by a virus. The USB HDD was reformatted from NTFS to FAT32 to use with my STB. Since the problem is also present on two different USB memory sticks (mine and the OP) it seems unlikely that it is a virus.

When i sent my original unit to Sony I typed up a letter explaining this issue completely to Sony so they are aware of it. Hopefully they can push out a fix soon.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I expected that result, no I don't think it is a virus so be patient, Sony will fix it or discover which app causes the issue if it is third party software at fault.