Quantcast

When can we expect to see NEW VIZIO CO-STAR?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by CJay, May 6, 2013.

1. CJay

CJay New Member

The Co-Star is great so far. It has the best UI of any streamer and the HDMI pass through is perfect, but it definitely has a lot of limitations, not all caused by Google TV. the 99$ price point was great, but I would rather Vizio add more to the hardware and up the price. What features must the next Co-Star have for you to stay on the bandwagon?

I would like to see:

A slimmer backlit universal RF remote
    Mirror my phone/tablet
    On/Off light

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I'm very happy you started this thread, and I believe you have covered the basic things to make the up coming Vizio Co-Star 2 a better product .... The heat build up (FIX), a real on board auto cache cleaner, on/off switch with (LCD) light on the front side, more memory space, digital optical port and another USA port ...

*TO ALL VIZIO CO-STAR OWNERS, GO HERE, READ THE LATEST REVIEW ON THE VIZIO CO-STAR DATED MAY 7, 2013 http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...o-star-reviews-your-hands-experience-147.html ....

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Clearly it needs more RAM and just be a whole lot more responsive (Project Butter!), and it needs to run cool - WITHOUT active cooling. Support for Miracast or however Google wants to compete with AirPlay is a must. I'd like to see an IR blaster built-in, and the Remote control can use either a total re-design and/or a commitment to work well with existing Universal Remotes would be awesome. A universal remote doesn't have a touchpad, but that just means the device would need to be made a whole lot more functional without a touchpad. The remote could use a microphone, and Android could use support for voice entry in all text fields, but unfortunately this leaves out the universal remote unless the mic could be built-in to the hardware and function from across the room (seems unlikely). Native NDK support, and compatibility with more standard Android apps. Alas, much of this is not something Vizio can control.

4. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

Was there even a mention of GoogleTV in the keynote today? :(

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Nope.....

6. CatfishRivers

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  7. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

The article I read mentioned only the LG-branded devices and no word on anything else. I hope the Vizio Co-Star follows down the same path and upgrades away from Honeycomb and into Jelly Bean.

As far as a 2nd gen Co-Star if Vizio is planning one, pretty much everything mentioned here covers it. Backlit remote and IR Blaster are a must in my book; faster proc/more RAM seems like a necessary foregone conclusion as well. It would be nice to see DTS pass-thru added. A far-fetched dream would be the ability to convert on the fly to AAC 2-channel audio if there is no AVR configured and the default track is DD or DTS.

8. CatfishRivers

Read the thread from that link I posted again - I added 2 more articles that mentioned all GTV devices will get the new JellyBean update. However IMO this will probably not include the Logitech Revue - and possibly the first generation Sony GTV devices won't get the JellyBean update either. We'll see.... But I would say all second generation GTV devices (GTV devices running the Marvell Armada 1500 chip) will get the new JellyBean update.

• Like Like x 2
  9. herculese1

herculese1 New Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Google TV wasn't mentioned during the keynote today, however there is some related news. Following the keynote, Google announced that Google TV would be getting an update ..... The update will be arriving sometime in the "coming months" and will bring Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean along with the latest version of Chrome. Aside from simply announcing a new update, Google also released some details about future updates including those from TV OEM partners ....
    [​IMG]
    Moving forward, Google TV users should begin seeing regular updates for Chrome. Google has said that in addition to providing the latest version of Chrome with this update, moving forward Google TV users will benefit from the same six week cycle of updates that other Chrome users see. Another Chrome related item arriving with this update deals with content protection.
    For this, Google has said they added support for hardware-based content protection within Chrome. Basically, this means developers will be able to provide premium TV content in HD within their web apps[​IMG]. Shifting back to the TV OEM partners and we have what Google is referring to as a "refactored Google TV." While we suspect the experience will vary from OEM to OEM, this will allow those TV OEM partners to update in a "matter of weeks rather than months."
    [​IMG]
    Aside from the current line of Google TV devices, it was also said that new devices will be launched sometime "later this year." While new devices will be coming, Google also provided a look back in time. They have said that in the previous three years, the Google TV platform has grown to include 10 device manufacturers, 5 chipset makers and 5 TV operators across 10 countries.
    Google has also said there are now "thousands" of apps available through Google Play and Chrome and that companies such as Gameloft, Redbox Instant, Gui.de, Ubitus and TuneIn are all currently building TV-customized apps. That all being said, while these seem to be some good updates and good changes that will help to ensure future updates, we do have to wonder if this will be enough to convince more users to pick up a Google TV.
    [h=1]Google TV update will bring Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean[/h]15 May 2013 by Robert Nelson

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  12. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  13. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

Does this mean NDK support? (ie. XMBC)

14. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

That would be sweet ...(l0l)

15. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Google will update its Google TV platform to Android 4.2.2,
    the company announced on Google+ Wednesday. The update will be rolled out to existing devices in the coming months, and it will bring all the major features of the latest version of Android and Chrome to TV screens.
    From the announcement post:
    "Today, Google TV is moving to the latest version of Android (Jelly Bean, 4.2.2), and we've refactored Google TV so that our TV OEM partners can update to future versions of Android in a matter of weeks rather than months. For developers, this means you can build TV experiences using the latest Android APIs, including the NDK.
    Today Google TV is also moving to the latest version of Chrome, and from now on Google TV benefits from Chrome updates on the same six week cycle that you've come to expect from Chrome. In Chrome on Google TV, we've added support for hardware-based content protection, enabling developers to provide premium TV content in HD within their web apps."
    tweet this
    Some Google TV hardware partners have been working with the new version since February.
    This will be a big step for Google TV, which has been based on Android 3.2, or Honeycomb, since the last major OS update in late 2011. However, some Google TV owners won't be able to take advantage of the update: A Google spokesperson confirmed Wednesday that it will only be available for ARM-based Google TV devices, and not on first-generation Intel-based Google TV set-top-boxes and TVs.
    Coming next to Google TV: video games?

The update could bring a number of new features to Google TV that owners of newer Android handsets take for granted, including a better performance, a much-needed UI-update and an all likelihood some form of Google Now integration. It should also help developers by making it easier to port their Android 4.x-optimized apps to Google TV.
    But there's another aspect that's interesting about this step: Google also announced Google Play games services, a cloud gaming service that makes it possible to develop multi-player games and save game plays across devices, at I/O Wednesday.
    With Google TV switching to Android 4.2.2, it's reasonable to assume that Google TV devices should have access to Google Play Games sooner or later as well. This could give the smart TV platform, which has so far only seen modest adoption, another leg to stand on, and potentially enable future Google TV devices to function as full-blown game consoles as well.
    This post was updated at 1:35pm with additional information about the devices that will receive the update.

Google TV will receive Android 4.2.2 update as well as latest version of Chrome By Janko Roettgers

• Like Like x 2
  16. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

" including the NDK" <- This made me sooooo happy :)

"it will only be available for ARM-based Google TV devices, and not on first-generation Intel-based Google TV set-top-boxes and TVs." <-This stabbed me in the heart and rubbbed salt on the wound. :(

17. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Did GTV ever get the JIT compiler added? If it didn't and it's included with the new update, that could be a huge boost to performance.

18. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

I hope alot of good will come from the co-star,I just made the leap tonight from the revue..vizio co-star was on sale,so I grabbed it!! 59.00!!
    I hope I can pair my K700 kb with it..I do not like the dinky keypad

19. freshy03

freshy03 New Member

I just called Vizio because I got a 2nd co-star for my bedroom and i was having a problem with my remote controlling my cable box. The lady sent me out a new one and while on the phone with her I asked her if a new costar was coming out and she said one was released 3 weeks ago. Instead of the VA340 this one is IS360. Anyone here of this??? Can't seem to find it anywhere

20. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

$59 is about what it's worth :)