Quantcast

whats the difference between plex that is preloaded and plex in the play store?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by caines, Aug 16, 2012.

1. caines

caines New Member

if many of you havent noticed there are two plex that are in the gtv play store. the one that is preloaded and the independent one. the independent one has been updated more recently than the preloaded one. so my question is there any difference? would i gain any benefits from using the independent app vs the one for sony google tv? any help would be appreciated.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It is certainly my understanding there is no difference and you should be able to update the preloaded Plex just the same as the Plex available for purchase from Google Play. Have you tried to update from Google Play? I updated my version of Plex, purchased for 99 cents, yesterday by selecting Plex Update from the Google Play market and it updated just fine.

3. drhill

drhill Member

It is entirely possible that the preloaded one could take better advantage of the hardware because a partnership with Sony allows them more resource access. I suspect the sony only version of Plex on the market won't realize it's full potential, and be updated at the same time, until the Sony's new blu ray hardware comes out.

I am more then happy with my 99 cent purchase as my wife likes using it. I wish it was as pretty as the samsung app and pc versions (or XBMC) but hopefully that will come with time.

4. caines

caines New Member

I can not update the preloaded one to the same version as the independent one. Unless I purchase the 99cents version. Since it is only a dollar I see no harm in buying it to test out the difference. Reading the change log it shows there is a big difference.

5. csrini1

csrini1 Member

To user plex, you need to install plex media server on computer,meaning your computer needs to run all the time?? please confirm if this is true.

6. eelpout

eelpout New Member

yep, it's true. I run it concurrently with a SageTV server (DVR software) and have it scan for new recordings from Sage every 30 minutes.

Though for actual playback from the server (over Ethernet) I use Plex's Direct Play mode, which forces the use of the hardware on the Sony for decoding. Using the default standard of transcoded-on-the-server method I find too jerky.

And as I mentioned elsewhere, for some reason Plex's Direct Play is the -only- acceptable way to play back MPEG 2 transport/program stream files over the network on the GS7 that I've found. I've tried several other apps including GTVBox and they stutter and lag on those high bitstream rate files.

7. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Yes, or put it on a NAS. Not all NAS devices are supported but since transcoding is rarely needed you can use some pretty low end NAS units, like the new ReadyNAS ARM based units. My Synology 1512+ works great with Plex as would the two bay 712+. Or just set up a low powered net top or Mac Mini and point the Plex Media Server to the NAS.

Philip