Quantcast

What's the best cable TV system to hook to Google TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Lakota, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Lakota

Lakota New Member

Is there another system out there that will connect to Google seamlessly? I'd really like to use a DVR without a batch of new equipment and I am not wild about having a Dish antenna on my roof. And Hulu is blocked, of course. We really want to get all of those esoteric channels: history, discovery, weather, science, natl geo, etc. Any suggestions? L.

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

You didn't say where you live. But normally where you live will dictate what options you have. If you live in the US then I have yet to hear of a city where you can choose your cable TV provider. In most US cities you have one cable provider, and one telephone provider that may offer (FIOS or U-verse), and then of course that then leaves satellite choices of Dish and DirectTV. You also have over the are local broadcasting as an option but for Google TV you'll then need an OTA DVR box or OTA Tunner box. So your question as to what is the best "cable TV system" is either the wrong question or I'm not really understanding what you are asking.....because you only have one Cable TV service choice....which is whatever company is in your city. Unless you are asking what is the best cable tv system because you would consider moving.

Also what do you mean by "seamlessly"? If you want less equipment then you may want to consider a Sony TV with built in Google TV, or if you are in the market for a new Blu-ray player then you may also consider the Sony Blu-ray player. But if you don't mind one extra component the best choice is the Logitech Revue for many reasons. If by seamless you are wanting full Google TV integration for searching DVR recordings and controlling what gets recorded using Google TV on your DVR then your only choice is Dish, because that is the only company that has partnered with Google for this functionality. But for this added Dish integration you'll have to pay an added surcharge to get this integration (I think it is $4/month). I've heard from people that do have Dish and it might not be that worth it, so lots of Dish customers just use Google TV without this added integration. But even for Dish integration you still have a separate Google TV device and a separate Dish DVR.

Also I think you may be confused about what Google TV really is. It isn't a TV service. It uses whatever TV service you already have and adds to it Internet content. So if your Cable or Satellite provider has history, discovery, weather...etc then you still get all those channels through the providers box. No cable/satellite channel is blocked because you hook up Google TV. But rather what is blocked is Internet content from some channel companies. The Google TV device may not be able to connect to several channel's websites for video content but this doesn't affect what you get through your cable/satellite provider. Hulu is not a channel but just Internet content so for now that too is blocked on Google TV devices. There is still plenty to watch over the Internet on a Google TV device...like Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, CNET TV, and anything else on the web that is Flash based that is not one of those major network channels.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

Dish Network has a pretty good thing going with the Logitech Revue. Dish sells them at $179 through their website, whereas they retail for around $300 in stores, plus they interface seamlessly. For instance, when you search for a particular show you'd like to watch, you get both Google results and Dish will tell you what time the next showing is, what channel it's on, and allow you to set your DVR from it as well. The Dish DVR and the Revue talk to eachother.. it's pretty cool.

Another neat feature .. this morning my Dish was out because of snowfall, so I just switched over to the Revue and was able to stream what I wanted to watch.

.... However, DishOnline (their OnDemand service) doesn't work .. but I'm hoping they'll get that straight.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  4. Vaughn

Vaughn New Member

That is not true...
    I live in Boston, and in my neighborhood, I have a choice of two cable providers... Comcast and RCN
    That is also the same for some city's in New York. I have previously lived in Manhattan and had a choice of RCN and Time Warner Cable.

So galfert, not everybody lives in Orlando and there are a lot of cities and states in the US

5. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    I have Comcast and Bright house Cable, in Indiana

6. galfert

galfert Active Member

Notice key word was the use of the word "most."

The bigger message from my post is that the original post was a poorly written question, because the OP clearly lacked understanding of how Google TV works, and they lacked understanding of TV service providers.

Thanks for letting me know that there are may cities and states and that not everyone lives in Orlando.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I had to add that most of that is true depending on your dish receiver. If your receiver does not support using HDMI cables like my box does then the logitech revue box is useless with the dish receiver. That is why I bought the actual television that sony offers so I could use google tv with my old dish receiver via either a coaxial cable or via component set up that the logitech receiver does not support that I know of.