Quantcast

What's so unique about GoogleTV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by plac, Feb 13, 2013.

1. plac

plac New Member

What's so unique about GoogleTV? Is it PlayStore, mainly the google apps and sync? Seems Android & Linux are taking over. I'll never buy another desktop; and goodbye to Microsoft likely goes with it. Though I wish their Surface Pro was half the price. The cloud has changed the game. Another game changer for me is that my PC Bios will now boot to USB (external drives); such that I can run alternate OS without having to run fdisk & /mbr (Linux friendly now).

2. madman999

madman999 Member

Google TV is Android formatted to run on your Flat screen TV. Many of the apps that run on your phone or tablet will run on a Google TV device with some limitations.

Google TV is also a market place/framework for companies to sell you video content.

The platform is evolving.

Sent from a HTC Droid Incredible running CM 10.1

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

GTV is the only TV/media/ box that has both HDMI IN and HDMI Out. So the HDMI overlays and interaction with the cable box definitely sets it apart. Also IMO it has the best browser of any of the media boxes.

Unfortunately these unique features in and of themselves have thus far have not boosted GTV sales in a meaningful way.

Perhaps more consumers are interested in the cord cutting approach (as opposed to an add-on device to an existing cable box)?

While yes it's true GTV can be part of a cord-cutting solution - as a pure cord cutting alternative something like a Roku is simpler to use and probably has more content available.

And while the existing GTV setup with the cable box is nice for many - IMO deeper full integrations are needed to really make this part of the GTV service "Outstanding". Only Dish Network currently offers the enhanced integration - the other TV providers haven't shown much interest in opening up to GTV and allowing the enhanced integrations.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

What makes it unique is the freeing of users from the PC!

Google TV for me, a one time cord cutter, is deficient in only one area. Google TV needs to allow for a simple converter type box for Antenna (OTA) integration w/out the need for expensive TIVO like devices. HDMI is now going full scale. There were free converter boxes from the government at the time of the change from Analog to Digital. Many had program guides. This basic idea can't be that hard for HDTVs.

Otherwise I am content...

But not complacent...LOL

Carl

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't see how this as a limitation of Google TV. There are usually no inexpensive DVRs for OTA that are any good because it isn't easy to do but there is nothing about Google TV that prevents it. TiVo works great and I think is worth the price but there have been less expensive alternatives available for brief periods, they are always pathetic and quickly disappear. Right now a piece of junk called ePVision is available, at least I would call it a piece of junk. I want the OTA DVR to work and just to forget about it and that is what TiVo provides, whatever programs have been scheduled to record with TiVo will be available when you sit down to watch TV. An inexpensive used TiVoHD without service will provide two tuners with 30 minute buffers and work great with Google TV for those that don't want to pay the price necessary to have TiVo service.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Carlszone

Thanks Chris

Hey, my main purpose here is to help & to learn...

Carl

7. alfred

alfred New Member

The idea behind smart TVs is that not only do they allow you to connect to the Internet, but they allow the TV to add services and suggestions (and yes, ads) tailored to your preferences.

8. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

after having a few weeks with the minix non GTV android box.. i will say this.. the video reproduction on the GTV is better.. but its only because it takes advantage of my 24p film cadence.. and thats due to the upscale to 1080p from the sony gtv processor.... its a sharper picture but.. not by much... and i expect that when the next firm ware update from minix comes down they will adress this.. dunno.. but since gtv is to tied to the cable box.. and has the nice GUI thats a plus... but ever since getting the minix i dont really watch reg cable tv.. so.. take that strike that advantage.. i think the 10ft interface of gtv is better then a full screen android tablet... with XBMC which is the very best application of a media center.. its not even a fair comparison.. once you hook to xbmc and all the smooth graphics of movie posters and fan art and full detail synopsis and all the addons.. if you are so inclined to use them.. you have full content from 1channel, Ice Films, and a bunch others... most in decent SD, some in 720p and few in 1080p.. movies and TV.. and there is Navi x.. which is just so much better on xbmc then GTV.. because it was designed xbmc.. now if gtv every got support for SDK.. and opened up its boot so it could be rooted.. then soon a modded rom would follow that would be plain android... just like the flavor on the minix non gtv box and others... and then you would have access to all the play store, not a curated safe for gtv only fork of it..
    and some apps dont look good on the big screen but YOU get to decide this... not google... and once a root came you would have a port of xbmc... and then someone would fig out a linux port and thats where things get really nice... thats what these boxes should be allowed to do... i still use my gtv, i still like it... but its so far behind the curve now... its just not fun to explore.. if you have 60 bucks and a decent bandwidth... i suggest looking at the new 2core mini android pcs... do some research find one with a good community and some dev behind it... and try it out... dont worry about the android side of things.. just make sure xbmc is ported and supported... this is the future of android on the big screen.. mho...

9. Carlszone

Was this topic 'what is so unique about Minix?'

10. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

not at all, but i bought into google tv when it was the only game in town, and it still is a great idea, but the execution is the thing that is lacking.. now.. chip sets are faster they have had about 2 years to get thing moving.. and so far... the only new thing they have bought to the table is speach search, and some snazzy graphical tv guide.. they are like IBM.. too big to move fast and take control of direction these android tv boxes... which is fine if your the only game in town... but when the tablets of today are sporting quad core processors and your flag ship only has a 2core... and 99% of the time that other core is not being tasked to do anything but wait... that machine is not being used to anything near its potential.. technology has been out stripping Google tv.. its not just minix.... its every alt android tv box... you can drink the coolaid all you wish... but google ignored all the complaints about access to content, play store access... you all should at least have hulu... and if google is going to release 2nd gen box... they should have put a little more thought into how to fork gtv android HC back somewhere that will meet back up with icecream atleast... just seems they laid way back and thought there is no rush.... kinda sad... just missed the train..

google tv was unique...

mho.

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Scuzzo wrote: " the only new thing they have bought to the table is speach search, and some snazzy graphical tv guide.. "

I have to pretty much agree with that statement. Although the recent GTV update (that includes the Vudu and Amazon apps) is a step forward. However judging from the current sales rankings of GTV devices on Amazon - the recent GTV updates have yet to have a positive impact on sales.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  12. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

GTV is isn't perfect but it's got a lot of potential especially if they start supporting NDK. I personally mainly use GTV for media consumption. with being able to stream a huge amount of content from the internet via the Chrome browser, all the content links from the 'Project Free TV" thread, Symbaloo links, apps such as TV Portal, 1Channel, IceStreams, Crackle, Amazon VOD, Netflix & ViMu, I have access to more content than I can ever view.

13. Carlszone

Hi

I agree! I have never been a fanboi of the internet devices I have owned and have gotten in many heated debates in many a forum where folks just wanted to trade positive posts about the product. I chose the Hisense Pulse for my next Google TV device which I expect Saturday. The Vizio seemed promising but their return policy made me suspect early on. After helping many users w/that device, I'm not sorry!

With my full cable DVR lineup, Netflix, and all the Spotlight sites listed in the Open Launcher dedicated app, I have more content available to me than I'll ever fully use in this lifetime. I'll scale back on the cable as I have not watched one full program on HBO, Showtime, etc.

I just can't find the time...

Carl

14. plac

plac New Member

15. so_cool_rohan

so_cool_rohan New Member

uniqueness lies in the android itself, i mean android= open source, n its the only open source that has sufficient apps inorder to make any android running devices much more personal that any other os right now.