Quantcast

What Your Next ARM-based Google TV May Look Like

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by Rickaren, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Geniatech’s Android TV Previews What Your Next ARM-based Google TV or XBMC Device May Look Like

Alexander Grundner
    April 13th, 2011

[​IMG]

Roving video reporter, Charbax, is in Shenzhen China covering an electronics fair where he came across a new ARM9 / Android-powered TV adapter by a company called Geniatech. The device sells for $70 in bulk and runs a modified version of Android 2.2. Android TV is capable of launching all the games and apps you would normally run on a smartphone, as well as a healthy assortment of audio and video formats, to an HDTV. It includes an ARM Cortex-A9 800Mhz processor, integrated Wi-Fi, 1080p via HDMI, multiple USB ports, SD card slot, upgradeable firmware, and will have the capability to load third-party platforms compatible with ARM processors.

In other words, it theoretically could run the ARM port of XBMC and possibly, in the future,Google TV once the code becomes open. Product page: Geniatech Android TV. FYI, a dual-core version is planned for release in Q3 2011.

VIDEO

[video]http://youtu.be/QO0emjmWG9U[/video]
    Uploaded by Charbax on Apr 12, 2011

Shenzhen Geniatech shows a pretty impressive ARM Cortex-A9 AmLogic (Single Core 800Mhz) Set-top-box which they have told me can actually be sold in bulk starting at $70, here I interview their product manager about their status, where they want to bring this product, if he thinks they could be getting Google TV software for this.

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

I bet this device is able to play the blocked network video streams. If this comes to the US for $100 I'm in.