Quantcast

What You Can Do With A Logitech Revue, Google TV Day 3

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by JimMariner, Oct 21, 2010.

1. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

October 21, 2010

[​IMG]Boston (dbTechno) - Day 3 has arrived and the Logitech Revue continues to roll along in regards to hype and popularity, as today we take a look at the way in which this device is going to truly unify your entire home entertainment center.

The whole idea behind the Logitech Revue is to unify two of the most popular electronic gadgets in our lives, the computer as well as the television.

That is where the Logitech Revue and Google TV shine, as it really does bring these two things together, allowing you to, in many instances, actually do both at the same time. The true highlight of this great device from Logitech is going to be the keyboard controller, and having the ability to have your entire home entertainment center unified with it and the coinciding Revue set-top box.

This new product is not only going to be able to allow you to view the internet on your TV, but it is going to control everything, allowing you to not only get rid of your 5 remote controls, but to gain even more control over all of your units as part of your entertainment system.

The great thing here is that with the price of the Logitech Revue coming in at $299, you are going to end up with the device itself, as well as a highly-touted remote control that will be able to stand up against any of the other highly-priced remote controls on the market, each of which sell for over $100 on their own easily.

The Logitech Revue is a device that screams unification, allowing you to enjoy everything you love in terms of electronics with television, the internet, eventually games through the Android Market, and more.

That brings us to the next point in terms of bringing everything together, the Android Market. Once the Market does come to the Logitech Revue and Google TV, there are likely going to be many apps that will allow you to link up directly with your laptop upstairs or wherever it is, streaming your music, video, pictures, etc.

Many of us have tried time and time again to hook our laptops up to our TV to play music, etc. That is going to be a thing of the past, bringing simplification and unification together.

The possibilities here are really endless, and we feel that it is very important that we all take note of just how much this device will truly be able to bring everything in our home entertainment system together.

Stay tuned for Day 4 of our feature tomorrow as we take a look at the keyboard accessory that will make what we talked about above possible.

Source

2. epho

epho New Member

Can you explain to me how I can loose my 5 controls then?
    I have a Logitech Revue and it seems that all it can do is switch on (and off) my STB, TV and AVR. and control the volume.
    Other than that I did not see a way to control for example my Playstation and DVD player? With Logitech harmony I can make profiles like "Watch DVD" and "Play Playstation" I don't see how my Revue is going to do that? Or am I missing something?
    So I still need my 5 remotes (unfortunately).

3. Karen

Karen New Member

Epho,

The Logitech Revue remote does not support "activities" like your Harmony does. It also will not support your Playstation or DVD player. You have to use your Harmony for those things (or the device's individual remote). Bummer, huh?

Perhaps this is another attempt to cash in. Methinks they will (eventually) come out with a GoogleTV "Harmony" remote - with a hefty price tag.

4. Hamijoh

Hamijoh New Member

The Harmony app (free) on Android phones will do what you are looking for. iPhone app has been submitted to Apple.

5. Karen

Karen New Member

I do not own an Android phone OR an iPhone (and they don't have a regular keyboard). It still means two or more separate "remotes" whether it is a Harmony, a phone, the GTV remote, or the device remote. There is not a single remote (or phone) with a keyboard that will control all your devices or support activities.

6. epho

epho New Member

@Hamijoh, first the Android App does NOT what a Logitech Harmony does. It can create just 1 (one) 'activity' to turn on and off the Google TV, by switching on the TV and STB, but that is it... No extra activities for doing other stuff like watching a DVD
    Second, I do not want to use my phone as a remote... then -again- I have a second remote!
    What I want is what @JimMariner wrongfully suggests up above, and that is to use just 1 remote (the Revue controller) as if it were a Logitech Harmony remote and switch between Google TV and other activities when I like...