Quantcast

What Would Be Unique About An Amazon Kindle Phone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 19, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

What Would be Unique About an Amazon Kindle Phone? | PCWorld (click for full article)

"Amazon will reportedly get into the smartphone game in 2012 with a so-called "Kindle Phone" running a Texas Instruments OMAP 4 processor and priced around $200 or less.

Details of the purported new phone are few, but the handset would presumably be tied to Amazon's digital content store for music, movies, television shows, smartphone apps, and e-books. The "Kindle Phone" claim comes from Citigroup analyst Mark Mahaney based on checks with electronic component suppliers in Asia, according to AllThingsD."

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I like the Texas Instruments OMAP 4 processor. So, far they it is the only processor to have Netflix HD certification for any Android devices. Texas Instruments is one of those companies that once they put their think tank on something, they really come out with some impressive processors. Even Sling Media relies on Texas Instruments's DaVinci Digital Signal Processor for live transcoding for their Slingbox products. It even allows on the fly streaming at 1080i with the Slingbox Pro-HD.

So, if Amazon can exploit the TI OMAP 4 processors in an inexpensive phone then I can see a winner for the potential Android purchases. However, the real question how much will Amazon in keeping their product up to date. As, it has been proven that most of Android Phones are abandoned within the first year by their respective carriers/manufacturers.

3. tobias

tobias New Member

I'd guess they'll make the phone inexpensive due to selling it below manufacturing cost like Amazon appearantly does with the Kindle Fire. Will help them to get more customers to whom they can sell their content.

It all almost sounds like we are back to the good old game-console days (Playstation vs. Sega vs. Nintendo vs. XBox), with the major players selling cheap hardware to get more customers for their completely closed software eco-system.