Quantcast

What To Expect From Google I/O 2012: The Google TV Edition

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 26, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

What to expect from Google I/O 2012: The Google TV edition — Online Video News (click for full article)

"It's been two years since Google first introduced its Google TV platform at its annual Google I/O developer conference, and the company has put a lot of effort into making 2012 the year that Google TV finally shines. So what can we expect to see on the Google TV front when this year's Google I/O opens its doors in San Francisco Wednesday?"

2. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

GTV has been a disappointment. Hopefully the new devices and OnLive bring life the brand. Makes a lot of sense for them to bring google+ to GTV.

3. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

I/O 2012 is Google TV's last chance for a reboot - SlashGear (click for full article)

"Google I/O 2012 is almost upon us, and already Google TV is rallying for its second charge at the smart TV segment. Sony and Vizio have each revealed their Google TV set-top boxes, throwing hardware up for pre-order, and while Android tablets are expected to dominate the search giant's keynotes this week, there's likely to be at least a little time spared for the company's TV strategy. It's vital it does, too; sparse updates to the Apple TV in its third-generation has given Google a window in which to act, but it's an opportunity that's rapidly expiring."

5. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I missed some of the press conf. Any news on google tv? Only thing I saw mentioned was sirius/xm... thats all?!?

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I couldn't find a schedule of planned events at Google I/O. I installed the app and have watched a little of several different conferences and it was interesting but what I really want to do is be able to watch any of the Google TV events, if there are no more, then I missed them but I can't figure out how to know. Google Maps, Google Chrome, Google+, DART, and a couple other topics were covered but nothing about Google TV was going on. The app works great as far as access to the currently running events.

7. CatfishRivers

Here's a link to a summary of all of today's keynote - apparently nothing about Google TV today (except for the Sirius XM announcement). The article mentions that day 2 should see announcements about Chrome and Google TV:

Our Google I/O live coverage is here — Mobile Technology News

"After a month dominated by Apple's introduction of iOS 6 and Microsoft's surprise airing of the Surface tablet, it's Google's turn to take the stage at Google I/O 2012 in order to share a vision of the future of computing, and we'll be providing live coverage from the Wednesday morning keynote here.

We'll be updating this post periodically throughout the morning as Google's day unfolds starting at 9:30 a.m. PT. We expect Android news to dominate the first day, and make sure to read Kevin Tofel's predictions for what the show might have in hand for Android developers and users."

8. drhill

drhill Member

I saw in the IO app that there was another keynote on Day 2 (1pm EST). That made me feel slightly hopeful, but day 2 is still tough as far as showing a commitment.

9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

A lot of the videos for google io 2012 are being uploaded at Google Developers - YouTube
    In case people want to add them seperately to their watch later queue like me :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. CatfishRivers

This was mentioned the other day in a different thread. But I'll put a link to another article about it in this thread because it's relevant here:

Google TV to get SiriusXM satellite radio app "soon" - SlashGear

"If you own a Google TV device, a new entertainment option will be coming "soon" for you to enjoy. Google TV devices will soon be getting access to the SiriusXM Internet Radio App. The app will bring access to all of the satellite radio company's commercial free music, sports, news, comedy, talk, and entertainment content on any connected TV.

SiriusXM demonstrated the new application on Google TV devices at Google I/O this week. You do have to be a subscriber to access content via the Google TV app. The launch of the app will be the first time that Sirius XM programming and Sirius XM 2.0 features have been offered on any connected TV. When available, the app will be a free download on Google Play in the United States.

Key features for the application will be a Start Now function that allows users to go back up to five hours and hear previously broadcasted programming on many channels. The app also offers Tune Start to start the current song from the beginning so you can hear the whole song on any music channel. Other features include the ability to pause and resume my programming, a Show Finder feature, and the ability to organize your favorite channels."

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  11. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

Will google kill google tv.

Is que their new version of google tv.

So far google is not showing anything about google tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. CatfishRivers

13. ChrisG8

I think if the new Google TV products are well received, no Google will not kill Google TV. If the second generation does no better in terms of market, expect this to be the end of the line. I still think Google TV will succeed.

14. CatfishRivers

I agree - with 2 new GTV products getting ready to come to market and GTV launching in other countries - they won't kill GTV anytime soon.

However the announcements for the day 2 keynote are now officially over - and I was very disappointed that nothing at all was mentioned about GTV throughout either day 1 or day 2 of the keynote (except for the Sirius XM announcement).. All of the pre Google I/O press articles had speculated that Google would have big GTV announcements on DAY 1 of the keynote.

IMO it appears Google has shifted it's GTV priorities to the "back-burner".

15. ChrisG8

Google TV is being given some airt time now at the Google I/O.

16. CatfishRivers

Yes this is the pre-scheduled Google TV developer sessions. However the keynote is over and no mention of Google TV was made in the keynote.

17. ChrisG8

Is that a big concern? Was Google TV supposed to be mentioned in today's or yesterday's keynote? As long as developers are there getting guidance and assistance for Google TV development, I thought that was all we could ask for.

18. CatfishRivers

This is what was mentioned in the Official Google TV Blog today. Mostly the big deal seems to be that content from Google Play Store will be available on GTV devices. Unfortunately that aforementioned content is currently not available yet on GTV devices - but an update is supposed to be coming "later this summer on all GTV devices" - which will add the additional Google Play functionality (content) to GTV devices:

The Official Google TV Blog: More entertainment choices with Google TV

From the Official GTV Blog:

"More entertainment choices with Google TV

With Google TV, that big screen in your living room is an endless opportunity for entertainment. Live TV and the web are bringing you more options than ever before, and today, we're adding a few more.

More entertainment options with Google Play

You already have access to a variety of apps on Google Play, and soon you'll be able to find movies, TV shows, and music from Google Play to stream on Google TV. Google Play works across devices, so you can rent and start watching a movie on your Google TV, keep watching on your tablet on the move, and finish watching on Google TV. The TV & Movies app will also show Google Play content, adding to the more than 100,000 TV episodes and movies available in the app. The full power of Google Play will be available later this summer on all Google TV devices.

More choice for consumers, now with Sony and Vizio

We're partnering with four of the top TV manufacturers in the world to bring you new products in various form factors. This week, Sony and Vizio joined LG in launching a new generation of Google TV-powered products. You'll also find Sony Google TV products in nine countries over the coming months, and more partners and products are on the way.

More tools for you to get on TV

For all our developers out there, we've got new APIs, libraries, and code to create whole new experiences for Google TV. Build the killer second screen app, take advantage of improved media playback and digital rights management, and integrate devices directly to Google TV. Developers around the world have created hundreds of apps optimized for TV like SiriusXM, Revision3 and Thuuz, and you can see some of them at Google I/O this week. Visit our Google TV Developers site to find all kinds of tools, and keep in touch with us on our Google TV Developer +Page.

As more Google TV's come to consumers around the world this year, we want to bring you more ways to get involved with the big screen, whichever side of the screen you're on.

Posted by Catherine Liang, Product Marketing Manager and Ossama Alami, Developer Relations Manager"

19. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I think its a big concern. Recall last year that google reps were saying that 2012 is supposed to be the year of GTV. Many HDTVs and STB were supposed to be announced. So far, that has not been the case, other than the 2 STB.

20. CatfishRivers

Wait, What? No Update For Google TV? | TechCrunch (click for full article)

"Heading into Google I/O, there was one thing that confused me: Sony and Vizio announced new Google TV products a few days before the annual developer conference. Which I thought was pretty silly, because why would anyone release new hardware days before Google announces new software capabilities at the conference? And then the conference happened, and the answer became clear: Because there is no new software for Google TV."