Quantcast

What media formats are supported on Logitech Media Player?

Discussion in 'Google TV FAQs' started by JimMariner, Oct 20, 2010.

1. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

The Logitech Media Player supports many different file types, including:
    Audio

• MP3 - MPEG-1 Layer 3
    • MP4 - AAC
    • M4A - AAC
    • OGG - Vorbis (Only when a USB device is connected to Revue)
    Video (Currently in Beta)

• MKV - H.264/AVC
    • FLV - H.264/AVC, H.263
    • MTS/MT2S/TS - H.264/AVC
    • AVI - H.264/AVC, DivX MPEG4, XVid MPEG4
    Images

• JPEG
    • PNG
    • GIF
    • BMP

Source

2. Jabronie Man

Jabronie Man New Member

What resolutions are supported? I'm having issues with MKV at 1080p and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. I'm trying to stream it from my PC; a lot of other videos work, but my 1080p doesn't. My PC is Windows 7 and I'm using a Revue.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  3. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

My understanding (no hands-on for me!) was that 1080p MKV is/was supposed to be supported..the processor should have plenty of 'power' and no difficulties whatsoever. Are the failed ones not starting? ('in the morning' Jabronie Man).

4. Jabronie Man

Jabronie Man New Member

The files don't even show up when browsing for files through the folder structure. I'm assuming it's not showing them because it thinks it's an unsupported format.

5. xkwwwx

xkwwwx New Member

dts still not working . i am using serviio... Serviio DLNA media server. its the best media server.. simple and effective.built in ffmpeg for decoding.
    i have been formating to mkv standard
    video:h264 @9600kbps using lib264.
    audio:ac3 640kbps multi channel. using xvid4psp 6.001 beta for converting.
    having no problems at all.
    dont forget to go to setting in your logitech media player and refresh library.

6. ddowden

ddowden New Member

You can also hit the "Menu" button while on the list of videos and then select refresh. I have used both Media Center and TVersity without issue.

7. shermysherm

shermysherm New Member

*.MKV through tversity works the best for me...even my 720 back-ups start right up. No wait time when skipping around within the movie either.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The documentation is on their support page. Below are the video formats which are currently compatible for Google TV in its current form, though apparently there will be more support in Android 3.1.

File ContainerVideo StreamAudio StreamText Stream
    .MKVH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .FLVH.264/MPEG-4 AVC and H.263AACNA
    .MTSH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .MT2SH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .TSH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .AVIH.264/MPEG-4 AVC, DivX MPEG4, and Xvid MPEG4AACNA
    .MOVH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .MP4H.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA

The Logitech Media Player and Sony Media Player for Google TV definitely needs a lot of work.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  9. misfit410

misfit410 New Member

I can confirm mine plays MKV at 1080 flawlessly, However I do believe you have to have the right sort of share for it to work.

for example I have a media PC where I'm using Media center to share my files, there it will not see any of my MKV's, but from my ReadyNAS NV+ with DLNA addon, it sees and play them perfectly.

10. Davin

Davin New Member

The difference is whether the media server is performing any kind of on the fly transcoding when streaming the video (like TVersity does) - this can either make an unsupported format work, or a supported format not work...but usually the latter won't be the case.

Transcoding means that the UPnP media server is converting the video and/or audio format to something else on the wire. It should not be confused with being able to natively play the file's original format, which is what happens when no transcoding occurs or you play a file on USB connected media. If your video has a text stream and the Revue is displaying the subtitles properly, then transcoding is definitely occurring. (it doesn't support them yet)

In order to do real format testing, you need to be absolutely sure you know what format your media server is outputting the file in, or to know the format of the file and play it over USB. It's possible that some combination of video format and 1080p is what breaks things.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I do like TVersity in that respect since they added a profile for the Logitech Revue in version 1.9.6 (July 15, 2011). Twonky doesn't have an appropriate profile for the Logitech Revue yet. Essentially, that's the quirky nature of DNLA servers which offer transcoding. I'm glad you brought that up.

12. Davin

Davin New Member

At the same time, all those profiles really do is make sure the output format is one that the media server can accept. I know that MediaTomb, and I think TVersity if you dig around in a certain XML file, allow you to define those by hand. It's not for the faint of heart, but people should be able to use the information you posted earlier in this thread to create compatible profiles of their own. (if the media server allows it)

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Exactly, which is why I was so flustered with TVersity last year. It wasn't until the beginning of this year when I saw the following forum post: TVersity Support Forums • View topic - Logitech Revue users, here's a working profile!

14. Davin

Davin New Member

Haha, I feel you man. I learned way more about this stuff than I ever planned to when trying to get MKV subtitles working on my PS3 a few years ago. :( The knowledge everyone else was using was bogus and relied on certain codec packs incidentally installing the things that were actually needed, so I had to reverse engineer everything from the ground up.

Back on topic, that profile you just linked to is a great starting point for anyone with a customizable media server who is having trouble getting it to work with their Revue. I don't have TVersity currently installed, could you post the "official" TVersity config for the ReVue if it has anything that the one you linked omits?

EDIT: I'm interested in those unofficially supported formats that seem to work. We should try to confirm some of them and list them in this thread.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  15. misfit410

misfit410 New Member

My Media PC has shares with on the fly transcoding (it shares in several ways with several programs), My NAS does not, it's just big hard drive with an OS sharing it and a DLNA addon, there is no way in hell this thing has the power to transcode 1080P MKV

16. brojimh

brojimh New Member

My .MKV files were not showing up until I reformatted my HD to FAT32, now I see them fine but they only play about the first 30 seconds or so then freeze.

Holding out hope for HC to fix it all!!! BRING ON DIVX PLAYBACK!!! (and HULU Plus, the only two things keeping me from using my Logitech Revue exclusively)

Parenthetically; after I formatted my HD for FAT32 I was also able to play .M4V files (that would not even show up before).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  17. misfit410

misfit410 New Member

I tried this last night to see, I had a few MKV's on an NTFS formated drive, my Logitech revue saw it and play them, in fact we watched a few entire movies off it last night.

it's odd how flaky it seems to be for some, I do wonder if maybe it's in the encoding of the MKV that is the issue?

18. mearle

mearle New Member

So how about what will play in Chrome on the GTV (Revue) , trying to get HLS or worse case RTSP playing in the browser... i am on the 3.1 build and was hopeful HLS would be supported in the browser but no joy thus far. trying h.264/aac , have tried rtsp with .sdp as well as rtsp with an .mp4 container (works on my xoom) , have also attempte dto use the JW player for same to no avail. Preference is to use the video tag and the html5 player in the browser... help? If this an old discussion here can someone please direct me to the thread :)

19. braggbear

braggbear New Member

I have a file that is a WinRAR (.rar) file. How can I play this through my Logitech Media Player? Thanks.

20. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011