Quantcast

What is the difference between an "internet tv" - and your tv hooked to a computer?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Op7, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Op7

Op7 New Member

[FONT=&quot]Hi,

I don't get it.

Can someone please explain the difference between an "internet tv", and plugging a regular tv to your computer?

What are the advantages/dis-advantages for each??

Is there an article that discusses this? [/FONT]

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am not sure what source you have for the term internet TV but whether or not you use a dedicated device designed to stream video or download video from the internet or a PC is a matter of preference and amount of money you want to spend for the purpose. I have not seen an official definition of "internet TV" but it could be a TV with an internet connection and access to internet services built in or it could be a term to describe using any device to watch programming from the internet.

3. Op7

Op7 New Member

Hi Chris, and thanks for your reply.

I am totally new to all of this. What I have currently, is an HDTV, DirecTV, PS3, and Netflix. I watch live news, sports, and other shows via DirecTV. I watch other tv shows and movies via Netflix, through my Playstation 3.

I am currently seeking to purchase a new TV however, and have learned about these "internet TVs", which seem to be TVs that are "internet ready", such as the "Google TV". I have been totally confused by them though, and the difference between what they do, and what a normal tv connected to a PC would do.

I don't have my current TV hooked to any laptop or PC, so I have no experience with that either, however I'd LIKE to be able to watch Youtube videos, and videos from other similar sites, on my HDTV.

I've found a few articles, and one I read recently stated that people don't like to "jeri-rig" their computer to the TV, and that it is somehow much better to have everything all in one device - ala an "internet television".

I'm looking for clarity on all of this.

4. qw545

qw545 Member

I don't think there is a definitive guideline as to what an internet tv is, but generally it is a tv that has independent access to the internet. The extent of that access is in most cases limited to a few sites that are video-centric in nature like Netflix and Hulu. Google TV's approach is more exspansive because it includes a browser that enables the user to surf the entire web. Some websites (mostly broadcast network associated) have blocked Google TV's ability to download full versions of shows. Internet tvs, in my view, describe tvs that have the features built into them, but that can be expanded to include set-top boxes like the Google TV's Logitech Revue. All internet tvs receive whatever they get from the internet independent of a computer. That concept can become a bit hazy since the components of computers are involved in all these devices. I personally have a Sony Google TV and I have another HDTV in the room which is hooked up to a computer. The HDTV performs a function that is the same as a computer monitor and I don't consider that it is "jeri-rigged". The computer I'm using is a desktop tower that fits neatly in the bottom of a table that has the HDTV on top. The computer set-up affords the user greater control and flexiblity over what can be accessed, how frequently it is updated, what software is downloaded, and how it is configured. With that comes more complexity and responsibilty. Internet tvs are simpler to use, offer more protection from malware and intrusion, but are reliant on the manufacturer as to what is included, how often it is updated, and what the user interface looks like.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  5. slaZ

slaZ New Member

I think it comes down to whether you just want a hw+sw combo that's made to be conveniently integrated for TV use (but not that good for general computing or may not be possible at all), i.e. "internet tv"; or you don't mind spending more effort and money on making a PC more user friendly for TV (HTPC).

IMO, using PS3 as a baseline: The current state of "internet tv's" are at best equivalent to adding a cable TV socket to your PS3, but with significantly reduced graphics capability of the PS3. You may be able to download some apps (via PSN, Android Market, Samsung apps market) and it may come with a browser for basic surfing that is about the same speed as the PS3 web browser.

On the other hand, the internet part of internet tv's are relatively cheap to add and does not require much h/w setup. It's also nice to have Pandora playing music or some screensaver/music playing in the background with just a few TV remote presses.

6. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

Hooking a PC to your TV would typically be seen as adding a HTPC (Home Theater PC) for the purposes of using something like Windows Media Center or XBMC to record TV, play movies/music, or browse the internet on your TV. An internet TV is usually a TV that has built-in network capabilities such as wifi or ethernet and it's able to browse the net or utilize internet based apps such as Netflix to stream content without the need for an external piece of hardware such as a PC or Revue.

7. Op7

Op7 New Member

Thanks very much for the responses (and sorry for not responding sooner - hectic week).

From what I gather, hooking a PC to my HDTV seems to allow for much more in the way of capability, without all the restrictions that come with an internet TV. I'd hate to have an internet TV that restricts me from Youtube, or a similar site, because of an "incompatibility" issue.

Also, if the browser of an internet TV is anything like the browser of the PS3, I definitely would want to avoid that! The PS3 browser is slower, and has all kinds of issues and difficulties. I absolutely HATE using it.

For using a PC though, do you all have a keyboard and mouse next to you on the couch, with an extra long cable connecting back to your computer? Or perhaps you are using wireless mouse and keyboards that are able to work from the 6 to 10 feet away range?

I'm guessing a laptop is much more preferable, because you can recline with your laptop, and use it as your remote control?

8. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

This gap you just described is what Google TV tried to bridge.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

9. qw545

qw545 Member

I have separate keyboards and mice for my PC to HDTV set-up and for Google TV. All are wireless with the distance to my Sony Google TV a little over 10 feet and they all work seamlessly.

10. Torisen

Torisen New Member

Hmm, I have a Sony VIAO laptop connected to my Google TV because they really do different things for me. Google TV for YouTube, browsing the web, the VIAO for gaming, BluRay, recording, playback. I totally dig the shortcuts you can create for your favorite channels with the Google TV and once the update hits and we get the market I saw a Frogger icon that may be a downloadable app and I want to play some Frogger on my TV :D

11. les anderson

les anderson New Member

The one thing that Google TV gives you that nothing else does is the Internet as an overlay to your cable box. This means that youtube, web search, and everything else that they google tv can do is literally a keypress away versus having to switch inputs etc.

12. XYinSD

XYinSD New Member

If you can handle the somewhat inconvenience of hooking up a PC to a TV then that is the way to go for sure, you'd not worry about any limitations that I currently experience on google tv, ie: ESPN3 not working, limited plugins, abysmal media player, etc. I love how the google tv is integrated on my 46 inch Sony TV though, like being able to drop the TV screen to a little box in the corner while I look something up on the web.

13. Op7

Op7 New Member

Some of you are mentioning things you like about Google TV, but are being very vague. I wish one of you could be SPECIFIC, and explain the difference/advantage which you are talking about. From what I'm reading here, you're mentioning Google TV for Youtube... ok, what specifically does Google TV do that makes it easier or better to access Youtube, versus a regular TV hooked to a computer?

14. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

With GTV you don't have to worry about viruses and malware like you do with a computer.

Boots right up - and once you get the hang of it it's very simple to use.

Also with a full computer you will be using a lot more electricity. The Revue uses approx. 15 watts.

15. Op7

Op7 New Member

Please don't take this harshly, but pretty much everyone owns a computer these days no? So why not use that computer with a tv? I just don't get what risk is being avoided...

On Youtube for example, I don't think you can get any spyware or virus from there..... so are you talking about just surfing the web in general? From what I have heard, surfing the web via Google TV is quite impractical. If it is ANYTHING like trying to surf the web on Playstation 3, then that is not a very desirable benefit. Perhaps I am mis-informed???

Please understand that I know next to nothing, so don't take my questions the wrong way. I don't know, so that's why I'm asking.

Maybe it's just me, but I surf the web with my home computer, and the issue of a virus or malware isn't much of a concern.

Saving electricity would be one benefit, but not sure how big that is.... especially if internet tv's cost more to begin with?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  16. Torisen

Torisen New Member

To be specific I like the convenience of not having to boot up the PC connected to my TV to view YouTube. It's much more convenient with the Google TV's mini keyboard controler than lugging around a wireless keyboard and mouse.

17. jazztv

jazztv New Member

One of the huge benefits for me is that GTV is wireless. I have the 40" Sony GTV on the wall in my bedroom which is no where near my main pc. My main pc is wired to a tv in my living room and it works nicely but I have to take a few minutes to set it up each time I want to watch something. Everyone's set up is different however, most pc to tv set ups require a little more work than what the GTV offers.

It is a bit more convenient to just turn the tv on and either surf the web, watch youtube, browse local channels, or use netflix among others than when using a pc with your tv. Not having to use a keyboard and mouse is also a benefit and it is also an all around space saver.

18. Kleinerast

Kleinerast New Member

I'm in a college dorm, and have 4 computers near me. When I'm in my room, the tv and computers are always on. Like someone mentioned before, the controller makes it easy to just surf the web, compared to a keyboard and a mouse, even if you have one of those keyboards with build in mouse in my opinion.

I also have a Mac Mini connected to my GTV, but I still end up using the GTV to do everything because it's... right there. The GTV opens almost every website i throw at it, with or without flash (except HULU and some others), and it formats the website so it's easier to view or read. Some websites like Youtube and Vevo have special websites for the GTV. If I did this on my Mac mini, I usually find myself zooming in on webpages to be able to read, and scoll the sides to finish a sentence (depending on how the page is of course). On the GTV it's like zooming on a phone, whatever doesn't fit goes to the next line, so you only find yourself scrolling down and not sides.
    So what I'm sayings, doing it on the GTV is easier because its made to do just that, and more.

Also, I'm a person that NEEDS to know everything, so when I'm watching live tv, a movie or show, like House, and there's something I would like to google, I can put the live tv in a smaller window (PIP style) and google at the same time.

I really don't know how to answer your question, but I have most of my computers connected to the GTV, but I never find myself actually using one on it. The only time I switch to the computer is for HULU, or watching a movie file that the tv does not recognize. I use Youtube, Pandora, and many other features all the time. It really just fills the gap between a PC and a normal TV.

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That was somewhat true while the Android Market was unavailable, now that you can install apps its no longer valid.

20. ShadowCVL

ShadowCVL New Member

Just thought I would offer my perspective.

Background: I am an IT person, I work for the Second Largest AD structure outside of the FBI in the CONUS, I am on a team of 5 that manages 1200 servers (with Hyper-V it equals about 4500 Operating Systems)

I have a PC dedicated to my LR TV and a Google TV in between a Directv HDDVR and the TV.

What I Like about both:

I can do anything I want on the PC, browse the Web with Firefox as well as run games, XBMC for 1080p movies and have a HUGE movie collection ripped to it (I cant stand all the DVD/BR cases in the LR taking up full shelves, I buy them, rip them then into the closet they go), Unfortunately that PC is DEDICATED to the TV, I cant just hook a monitor up to it, and an equivalent laptop would have trippled my initial cost. I use a diNovo Mini to control it when not gaming (its a small KBAM about the size of a large phone). I can also browse Hulu's gui here as well.

With the Google tv I can hit a button and bring up a search bar where I can google anything I want all while the show im watching plays in the background or in a PIP window, therefore not interrupting my Fiance or Step Daughter who might be watching with me. I can also browse the web and read up on things right there without interrupting TV, and if I search for Star Trek TNG itll take me to a screen where I can choose to watch on netflix, tv if its on, or Amazon Prime videos. I can use my Media center items to play most videos in my collection, I can also (Disclaimer: with extra software on a PC that I paid for) brows hulu alphabetically as well as other providers that blocked google tv with playon. I definitely LOVE the Google TV for the convenience factor.

Why dont I use a Laptop that I had sitting as my browsing and occasional gaming PC, honestly, boot up time and having to hook it up every time. with a dedicated PC and/or google TV I have this mitigated.

Those are benefits of both.

That said there are cons as well...

Google TV is slower to browse, not bad, and the non-interruption of tv is enough to compensate... I love watching Top Gear and googling the cars for the american prices and such.

The Computer interrupts TV, I really cant flip over to that if my Step Daughter is watching Spongebob or some other mind numbing kids show without her pouting and pestering lol.

Google TV has it all right there and is always on.

Another factor would be cost. I have 2 main HDtvs in the house. Building another computer for the bedroom would cost me around 800 plus storage if I wanted to copy my library to it (unlikely that I would do that, I have 6TB in the living room). Adding another Revue would be 100 bucks. I am currently waiting for it to come back in stock on amazon.

I really hope this helped with my added perspective.