Quantcast

What Happened To That SiriusXM App For Google TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 29, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

What Happened to that SiriusXM App for Google TV? - SiriusBuzz (click for full article)

December 28, 2012 (3:35 pm) Charles

If you follow SiriusXM news like an addict looking for a fix, you're probably sitting around frantically scratching looking for an actual release date of that elusive new app for Google TV.

The company originally announced their new app back in JUNE at the I/O developer conference and, according to Reuters, planned to go live by the end of summer, which all of you Farmers' Almanac fans know was, September 22. So, what's the holdup?

A source close to the situation told us SiriusXM has been waiting for Google to complete their new version 3.0 TV rollout. So, what does that mean?

What I know is, the latest version of Google TV actually went live back in mid November and has been trickling out to old LG TV's and second generation Google TV devices ever since. And with CES 2013 right around the corner, LG has already leaked info that they are planning to demo two new TV models featuring Google TV 3.0 at the conference slated for January 8-11th.

As of now there is no exact release date on the new line of TV's coming from LG but, if you want to track the new SiriusXM app, that's the date you should be paying attention do.

It's nice to see SiriusXM grab some low hanging fruit but, with no plans from other big names like Sony, Panasonic, or Samsung, announcing any Google TV ready units, this new set top gadget is unlikely to gain any major market penetration. If I'm crazy, and you're a diehard Google TV fan, please sound off in the comments below."

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Xminus1

Xminus1 New Member

Finally! Sirius released their Google TV app. It's available for download in the Google TV App Store.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

Do you have a link for the new Sirius Google TV app? I tried searching in the Google Play Store and couldn't find it? I saw the regular android Sirius XM app. Is that what you are referring to? And if there is a new Sirius XM app does it work with all GTV devices (or only GTV devices on the Jellybean update)? It was my understanding that the new Sirius app was only supposed to work on GTV Jellybean devices.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  4. ericd

ericd Active Member

Same here, I've been using the Sirius/XM app side-loaded on my LG for the last year, it works really good but the regular app still shows up as incompatible on my Sony and LG

• Like Like x 2
  5. Xminus1

Xminus1 New Member

I don't know about links, all I did was go into the Google TV store on my LG G2 TV, which yes is running Jelly bean and searched for Siriusxm like I have been doing ever since Sirius announced that they were going to release a Google TV app and it came up in the Play store, where before it didn't. I know that it's also listed on their web page under "Smart TV" apps. I do believe that you have to be running Jelly Bean.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  6. Travel

Travel Active Member

I went to the Play Store, typed SiriusXM, it came up, and I downloaded it with no problem. It "opened" in the all apps section, normally, with no problem. However, the top page is a login page asking for username and password. I don't have a subscription for SiriusXM, and therefore can't test further. I'm using the GS7 on Honeycomb and I didn't have to side load it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CatfishRivers

On the SiriusXM web site they do list Google TV as a supported device (look under supported Smart TVs):

SiriusXM Internet Radio - SiriusXM Radio

However on the Google Play web site all I could find was the regular android SiriusXM app (which was last updated on Sept. 14, 2013):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sirius

It says the SiriusXM android app is incompatible with my Logitech Revue. However my Revue is only on the 3.1 update - most GTV users are on the 3.2 update - so I don't know if the Sirius android app is compatible with the 3.2 update.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It is not compatible with my Sony NSZ-GT1 or NSZ-GS8 according to Google Play. I don't have a Sony NSZ-GU1 which is probably a compatible device.

9. Xminus1

Xminus1 New Member

If you don't have a Siriusxm subscription and want to test the Siriusxm GoogleTV app, that's in the Google TV Play store you can get a free 30 day trial on the Siriusxm website.

10. Xminus1

Xminus1 New Member

CatfishRivers, the regular Android app in the Play store on the web is not comparable with Google TV. You have to go into the GoogleTV play store on your Google tv and it should be there, it may not be comparable with your device.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CatfishRivers

Hi my Logitech Revue has 'issues' so I don't use it for apps - only use it for web browser. Hopefully some more GTV users will test the SiriuXM app and post their results. I did find a "GTV SiriusXM player" app on the Google Play web site. Here's the link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siriusxm.gtvplayer

It says it supports android 3.1 & up - which means that supposedly GTV devices on Honeycomb OS are supported. However that app shows as incompatible with my Revue - but as I said my Revue has issues with apps. It's possible that the SiriusXM app doesn't work with first generation Honeycomb GTV devices (with the Intel chip).

• Like Like x 2
  12. Travel

Travel Active Member

This is the SiriusXM app that I installed yesterday (see previous post on this thread) It does not have a "incompatible with your device" message. I signed-up for the free month trial period. The app works perfecly, and plays in Pro Logic 2 audio. I use a GS7. I am not imagining this.

• Like Like x 4