Quantcast

What Google TV needs..

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by balprix, Dec 12, 2010.

1. balprix

balprix New Member

I have the sony 40" tv. Im not too happy with it, only reason im hanging on to it is b/c im hoping of some development of good apps. It feels beta and is missing ALOT of things. I almost blew my home theater multiple times when I hit the volume up on the remote and it STICKS and maxes the volume on my home reciever to max. Turn off the tv and run across the room to grab the AV recievers remote. Oh maybe I should go stream movies from my brother's library on his laptop. I used ps3 media server and many codecs are missing MANY movies don't work. Oh let me not forget that chrome seems to have more "not responding" errors more than I can surf the web. These need to be fixed ASAP, I still haven't seen an update pushed from Sony for the improved netflix. Hey, at least I can charge my phone from the USB port..

On the hopeful side,

1. maybe StreamMyGame will release an app so I can play Bad Company 2 on the big screen with **5.1**, the program already is available on Linux so how difficult can that be?

2. Facebook app, I want an overlay for facebook chat so I can seamlessly chat while watching TV or surfing other websites via chrome. Although im not a twitter user, im sure theres a demand for that too..

3. Home screen widgets? It'd be kool to see designated spots on the right side for weather, notifications etc.

4. Where the #&!^ is my iphone remote app?!

If I don't see things happening within the next 2 months, im going to build a PC, boot win7 and boxee.

Lets go Google.

2. balprix

balprix New Member

Okay. Just looked at @GoogleTV over at Twitter. According to them, the SDK or the Android Market isn't launching until Spring 2011. Looks like the public isn't ready for internet TV and neither is the Google TV. Really considering returning it.. Hacking for it seems to be coming at a crawl too.

3. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Which is one of the reasons I still don't own a Revue,yet. At this stage, Roku combined with OTA/HULUPlus, still rules the roost for maximum content, outside of running HTPC...and at the price-point, it needs to have a more compelling reason to spend the dough. If a Revue was similarly priced to a high-end Roku STB, I'd already own one, along with countless thousands of others. As it is, for what it is, it's not a good value. When Apps arrive, additional content partners get on the bus, and the SDK has been public for a while, the doors WILL blow off the bus, and it will be a hot rod. THEN it will be worth the entry fee. My 2 cents, of course. :)

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about all that, but, I am hoping by owning a Revue, I will see a batch of new apps hot off the markets very, very soon, and it will have been worth it to me.. [​IMG]

5. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I have to be mindful that I don't watch NEAR the amount of television other folks do..most of my free time is spent online, but multi-tasking! :p If I watch a few hours a week, that's actually a bit much for me.

6. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

home

Coming in about a month! One of the things they claim is it will stream PC games to Google TV Chrome.

7. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Ahh....
    Where's the love for us Mac users??
    Darn it, I guess I'm going to have to get a pc... Ya right!!! [​IMG]

8. balprix

balprix New Member

I hope not through their web server like Play On, then we will see low resolutions and fps. Google needs to release their damn SDK or else ppl are going to abandon this platform. Oh, and how come we can't get feeds on "Whats On" for popular shows and when they air. Kind of like Engadget HD feeds. I pray their twitter is misleading on the Android Market release date.