Quantcast

What do you think the lifespan of the Revue is?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by alvysyngr, Sep 14, 2011.

1. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

When I say lifespan I guess I mean the amount of time Google/Logitech will support it. With Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich coming I would imagine faster processing power will be needed eventually. I just hope Logitech/Google have a longer lifespan in mind than Apple does

what are your thoughts?

2. swould333

swould333 Member

If the development community is there and it seems to be thus far, to a degree. Then i can see the Revue being releveant for some time. A prime example is the Original Motrola Droid. There are custom Roms that bring it to the latest version of Gingerbread and Moto has stopped supporting it for some time now.

As far as Logitech and Google official support. It'd be best to believe that it wont be supported any father than what they have on it thus far. Well, maybe as far as the Honeycomb update. I personally don't see it going to Icecream sandwich unless it's brought in via a custom rom. The paradigm of the technolgy industry incorperates planned obselecence as a growth model.

You can really only look at Gtv as an experiment up to this point. Google hasn't had motive to support it to any major degree, with it not in any way being profitable, I.E. no add revenues or revenues from the sale of apps on the G-market. One could look at the jump toward a more capable, possibly profitable, platform and the recent announcment of better Intel ATOM processor support as positive signs. It's really still up in the air IMO.

3. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

That's a tough one to speculate on. If you look at the facts as we know them, Honeycomb and the Revue have been available for just about the same length of time, yet we still don't have a HC release. Will the Revue run Ice Cream Sandwich? It should be able to, but the question is how long will it take to land if it ever does.

I'm sure Google would like to keep the update bandwagon rolling, but the Google TV devices that are coming will need to sell well enough to keep hardware partners on board. If nobody is selling devices Google wont have much incentive to continue working on Android for Google TV.

Android device manufacturers (phones and tablets) are very slow to update and very quick to abandon last months model in favor of this months version. Hopefully as involved as Google is with TV, and the unification of Android in ICS we will see updates for the Revue for some time to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have thought about this and believe that the Revue will still be usable in years, not unlike my TiVoHD now that the TiVo Premiere is the current product. I can't do everything the Premiere can do but I can do most of it. I expect to be using my Revue 5 years from now if it doesn't break. I don't think services like Amazon Prime Instant Video or Netflix are going to change to a form that won't work with these boxes and a big majority of the sites I use now, if they survive, will still be accessible and work just as they work today. Of course waiting for the next generation product at this point can't be criticized either, there is a good chance it will offer something at some point that won't be available on the first generation boxes.

I am glad I didn't wait, I love this product.

5. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

Very well said Chris

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I bought my Revue in mid-January and I think it might be already going 'bad'. I'm not sure though. I unplug my Revue every night before I go to bed. And until about a few weeks ago everything was fine. Now when I plug my Revue back in (in the morning) - my cookies are erased. It doesn't happen every time - but lets call it an 'intermittent' problem that keeps recurring.

I can tell my cookies are being erased because I have to sign in to all my web sites. I also notice on days when this occurs - that after I plug the Revue in - the initial screen will 'hang' (on the one with the Revue symbol for a longer time than usual -before it finally launches). Do you think my Flash memory in the Revue is going 'bad'? Can it be harmful to unplug the Revue every night? And what else might be causing this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  7. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

Just a question Catfish .. are you unplugging it to save power?

Most electronics these days are designed to always be on .. and when turned off they're actually only in sleep mode.

I've seen it reported that constant on/off's are actually bad for a lot of devices.

8. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

Cycling power to any sort of flash storage is likely to result in damage at some point...

9. CatfishRivers

Yes I unplug my Revue at night to save power. There is no 'power-saving' stand-by mode on the Revue - because this is a limitation of the Intel Atom CE 4150 chip. The next generation of Google TV boxes with ARM chips or Intel CE 4200 (or higher) will have a power saving mode.

10. ChrisG8

Any idea how much savings are gained by unplugging it every night? I think the Revue operates for a few dollars a month so unplugging nightly might save $1 a month and the potential for damage to the unit by constantly doing it might be greater than the savings.

11. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

So how much energy do you think is actually being drawn while not in use? Some folks run the kill-a-watt boxes on everything and drill down exactly how much money they are spending per device per hour. Dish Network's VIP boxes are huge power-suckers, whereas I'd intuitively think the Revue would be rather low-power.

** Jinx **

If it's a dollar a month savings, that's a definite hemorage of money if the revue burns out and needs to be replaced in a year.

I got mine in January as well .. and it's still running fresh.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  12. CatfishRivers

I've seen it reported in posts that users who measured the power usage of the Revue gave 2 responses. 1 group says 14 watts and another says 18 watts. Since there is no power-saving mode - when not in use the usage will only be 1 or 2 watts lower when 'not in use'.

Also I've read that the Sony devices have the ability to turn Google TV completely "off". (This is not the same thing as power saving mode). Just wondering if power cycling is harmful to the device - then why do the Sony Google TV's have an "off" function?.

13. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

I wonder if the limitation of the Intel platform in the Revue also extends to the USB ports. I have a 500GB WD Passport attached to one of the USB ports and I doesn't spin down automagically. If I'm away from the house I "try" to remember to disconnect the drive, but I frequently forget. I'd be nice if an option, like the one found in my laptop, to turn off the USB ports while in standby could be implemented in a firmware update.

14. ChrisG8

A TV and a Blu-ray player are different kinds of devices, made to be turned on and off with the proper components for that purpose. The Revue is made to be left on, althugh I can't say I am sure it will be harmed by repeatedly powering on and off. With savings not amounting to much and potential for harm, I won't bother. I have seen 14 watts but couldn't find that information with a quick search.

15. CatfishRivers

Here's a thread from the Logitech Revue forum where one user said that with ethernet internet - when in use his Revue uses about 14 watts. Another user said that his used 12.5 watts while watching Netflix - and 11.5 watts while in 'standby mode'. If you notice a Logitech rep then posted that the Revue has no standby mode. There is another thread where a different user posted that his Revue uses 18 watts (I'll look and see if I can find that one also)

How many watts does the Revue Use? - Page 2 - Logitech Forums

H
    ere's the thread where 18 watts was mentioned. Some complain that the fan inside the Revue runs continuously at night (and it irritates them) - however I can't even hear the fan in my Revue:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue...-Though-I-Never-Cleared-Them/m-p/666632#M9054

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

By the way, I only know from experience that the Sony Internet TV can shutdown internal Google TV with the television. I am not sure about the Sony Internet TV and Blu-Ray Disc Player.

In case anyone is interested on how much it costs to leave the power, the formula is here:

Watts * Hours / 1000 Watts * Cost per KWH = Total cost.

Here in Austin, the first 500KWH is priced at $0.0355 per KWH, anything more than that is charged at $.0782 per KWH. For the sake of easier math, let's say the Revue uses 20W continuously and I'm charged $.08 per KWH. Let's calculate a year's worth of electricty; 24 hours * 365 days = 8760 hours.

20W * 8760 Hrs / 1000W * $0.08 = 14.016 ($14.02)

So, for the whole year it would cost me $14.02 to keep the Logitech Revue running.

17. CatfishRivers

Eferz do you have an opinion on if unplugging the Revue at night is harmful to the Flash memory in Revue?

18. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

I would like to add my input to this question..

At times I have disconnected the Cat 5 cable just cause I use my WdLive as well..

I have noticed without the Cat 5 cable connected my Revue has not been nearly as hot as when it is connected.. I don't know how much energy is being saved but it sure does not run as hot....

When reconnecting the cat 5 cable I usually have to reset the Revue as none of my bookmarks show up..I know that a constant unplug with just the power supply could affect the hardware.. So when Disconnecting the Cat 5 cable and reconnecting it is a good thing to make sure that all power is disconnected on the Revue..

Each is there own but we sure need a power down fix once the market opens..

Just my thoughts as usual..

Kev

19. CatfishRivers

"Each is there own but we sure need a power down fix once the market opens.."

I believe due to hardware limitations we will never have a power down 'standby' mode with the Revue. It might be possible for an app (or an update from Logitech) to allow the device to be completely turned off (but that is not the same thing as power saving standby mode). So how would an app that shuts off the Revue power be any better than just unplugging it? (in terms of possible damage to device).

20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

An unclean shutdown can cause data related discrepancies. Flash storage has an irregular condition where the flash memory might cause an inadvertent write. This is usually caused by electric noise or uncontrolled signals during the power off/on sequence. If the flash chip doesn't utilize some sort of Software Data Protection (SDP) or authenticated writes then it is possible an inadvertent write is causing corrupted data.

In the grand scheme of things, the Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) for flash storage is related to the amount of possible writes. This threshold can be a couple hundred thousand to a couple of million writes depending on the flash chip itself. So, irregular "wear and tear" effects from inadvertent writes would be marginal against the MTBF.

A good question to ask Logitech is whether or not any of your user cache or cookies are kept in temporary filesystem or a journaling filesystem. A tempfs is designed to be lost between power cycles, whereas a journaling filesystem reduces the possibility of data corruption due to an unclean shutdowns.