Quantcast

What do I need to stream movies from a network drive

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by PaulFinny, Nov 19, 2013.

1. PaulFinny

PaulFinny New Member

I'm brand new to this. I got a revue a few days ago and know how to play movies from the usb port using a flash drive, but I'd like to be able to download movies on my computer, save them to a network drive and play them on the revue from that network drive instead constantly loading New movies on the flash drive and plugging it in the back. I don't have a network drive yet so I'm just looking for some direction on how to achieve playing downloaded movies and streaming them to the revue. Looking to do this cheaply and easily as I am not a networking guru by any means. My thought was to get a wireless network drive to place all my movies and pictures on and then stream them to my revue but moving my modem and wireless router into the living room with the revue is possible as well to have a hard wired connection to the revue if this is the better option. Right now I have a cable modem and belkin wireless n+ router. I was thinking of a Seagate freeagent or seagate central but would like to hear from someone who has done this. Any direction on what I would need to purchase and set up to achieve this would be greatly appreciated as I see a lot of potential in the revue with the right set up.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

If your Router has a USB input, then you should be able to connect any external HDD to the Router directly and set it up as a network accessible drive or you could share an existing HDD on your computer. Once you have the HDD visible on the network then use an app like ViMu, which allows you to setup access to your networked HDD and play/stream your video from the HDD.

3. MrG.

MrG. New Member

I don't know if you have this set up or not but I use Plex on my Vizio co-star android google tv device and on my media sever I use Plex media server check them out at www plexapp com or the google play store. they do have a version that runs on a NAS.

George

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Plex is working great for me as well, only used with drives connected to a network PC running the Plex server.

5. edrebber

edrebber New Member

The built in logitech media player app will find network storage and play video.