Quantcast

What DLNA server are you using and how well does it work with the Revue

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by towboy123, Mar 15, 2011.

1. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Please post you operating system
    Your DLNA server
    And how well it is working

I am using Null Rivers Media Link on a Mac
    I can see and play all of my files MP3, MPEG 4, JPEG. Except AVI
    I am using Media Connect on my iPad I can see only my folder no files

2. xkwwwx

xkwwwx New Member

Tvmobili _ I can play just about anything that I throw at it except for dts. I can also use it to access from anywhere including 3g

3. mxpowers

mxpowers New Member

Im using Tversity. Its' really good and simple. I like it because my hard drive won't let me transfer files that are over 4 gigs. And I really don't want to reformat it.. I have over 500gigs of movies and I'd hate to loose that. But anyway I downloaded so 1080 movies just to see if it would loose qualitify and it didn't so all and all it's a good server.

4. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Playon! If VLC can play it, I can play it! It works on wifi/ethernet, on the GTV's, xbox 360, ps3, iphone/ipad/ipod touch, and supposedly android phones. It also has other things you can stream to your device like netflix, hulu, amazon video, nfl game rewind, mlb, nhl, pandora, youtube, espn, espn3, cbs, and others. Some of those are continually available after the trial is over if you pay for it, but some, including being able to watch your own media, is free period. You can also get plugins for it for free like Revision3, which gives you access to even more stuff!

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I use Playon too and was able to catch up on Riese: Kingdom Falling and Mercury Men as well as Warehouse 13:Of Monsters and Men this morning :) Also I have used it's MyMedia portion of it to stream shows off my computer I have recorded the night before with my computer and Sage TV as it has converted it and streamed it to my Google Tv with no problems other then having no ability to rewind or forward fast very much when using it.

With the registered version there are tons of scripts to use with it at PlayOn Scripts :: Home :: PlayOn Scripts and PlayOn Plugins and PlayOn Plugins - Unofficial Plugins - Development - Help - Index :) That is how I watch Twit Tv Live from time to time as well as some other stuff. It works great on the 3 devices I have used it on. Oh I also like watchingal jazeera live from time to time with it as well since they added some live news channels.

6. rajesh78

rajesh78 New Member

I use windows media server, just load the media files in the my videos folder and share it. plus for all formats to work i installed DIVX codecs. could easily stream 1080p videos flawlessly. however having more than one media server installed in the computer slows the streaming considerably. i am fine with the WMS, but hate browsing interface in google tv...hope 3.1 update make things better.

7. lint42

lint42 New Member

I'm sure there is going to be an infulx of not bright questions coming fast because of the price drop on the Revue, but through Tversity or Twonky I cannot see 80% of my videos. Most are 1080p mkv's and I can't figure out how to get them to play. I'm thinking of trying Playon but I'm sure Tversity should work the same way. I just installed the unit today and I am using the Logitech media player. Please let me know if anyone can give me any tips.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You have to understand that MKV is a file container format for audio, video, and text streams. This is analogous to ZIP files which is a container for files and directory. Just because your device can read the items within the container, it doesn't those items are compatible. If I were you, I'd download a program called "Media Info". Its available from SourceForge, and allows you to identify what type of streams are contained within the individual MKV files. This will allow you to differentiate which files show up on the Revue and which do not.

Incidentally, I'm using an Twonky Multimedia server on my TS-409 Pro NAS. I am able to see all of my media on across all my DNLA clients; however, I had all of my video files converted to MP4 with H.264 video streams and AAC video streams. Long ago, I figured out that is the most universally compatible video format, so I used Format Factory to convert all my files into that format.

9. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

I have tried a lot, river, Tversity, some other stuff.. but the best one i have come up with so far is mezzmo...

i cant post links yet... but if i could i would... just google mezzmo..

i use it to stream vid and such.. and so far, for the most part ever file type is handled... except for some weird FLV kinda things that are from china or the far east...
    most any vid file seem to take to the transcode well.. and it loves avi..

yep... i dig mezzmo...

10. jordannelms

jordannelms New Member

Well i got a google tv yesterday and used Mibilitv on my mac mini....doesnt work that well. Some movies did not play (AVI files). I guess its time to try another one. Darnit!!

I bought this 99 dollar box for 2 reasons: 1)steal cable from my parents and 2)stream the movies i downladed off torrent.

1) = Check

2) = still searching for the right solution

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  11. svtfmook

svtfmook New Member

as of right now, i'm running twonky media server on a ubuntu 11.04 machine and twonky on my windows 7 machine.

i've tried serviio, mezzmo, playon, rygel, wmc, tversity all on various windows and linux machines. twonky is the only one that allowed me to see movie art in the movie.jpg structure on windows and linux (will only be using the linux machine once i decide on what server to use).

12. jordannelms

jordannelms New Member

make that TVMobili

13. acles003

acles003 New Member

How did you get Slingplayer on the Revue?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

15. jordannelms

jordannelms New Member

Now I have tried twonky and tvmobili and they both have a problem playing some of my avi files...but they are technology same files that neither will play.

16. svtfmook

svtfmook New Member

make sure encoding is on. i personally leave encoding off because my server box only has 1gb of ram and encoding seems to really crap up the server.

17. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Can anyone help with discovering dlna server. I have a hitachi simplenet that I can browse to from the pc but they don't discover it on the network. I assume it's the router?

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, according to Hitachi, the Simplenet acts a simple SMB file sharing server not as DNLA certified server. Have you tried using Windows Media Player Sharing?

19. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

I need to havethe revue discover it. I don't have a desktop so that's not really an option for me.

20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Conflicting statements hurt my little head...

In any case, the Revue currently ONLY supports streaming from a DNLA server. So, your requirements cannot be met with your current specifications. Your only option is to connect the drive directly to your Google TV's USB port instead of trying to stream it over the network.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011