Quantcast

What device to natively stream 1080p/5.1 mkv, netflix, hbo, and amazon?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by jbrady3324, Apr 2, 2013.

1. jbrady3324

jbrady3324 New Member

Do any of the gtv devices stream the following:

1. MKV 1080p/5.1 natively (no transcoding). If yes, what app or media servers work with gtv? Can it do HD audio?
    2. Stream 1080p/5.1 netflix
    3. Stream 1080p/5.1 amazon
    4. Stream 1080p/5.1 hbogo

I currently have a roku in my bedroom and xbox, ps3, atv2 in my living room. The big limitation is mkv files for me. Currently plex/ps3 media server can remux but it is a huge head-ache at times!

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

MKV is just a container, we would need to know codecs used to recommend a specific model, certainly not all possibilities will be handled by all players. See the ViMu app in the Google Play store for a good summary of file types handled natively by each model. If you are using DTS audio, that will limit your options greatly.

For Amazon only the second generation models play Amazon HD movies at this time, Sony NSZ-GS7 is my favorite in that group. I am not sure about what varieties of HD video and audio each model handles but I suspect the Sony model will be the most complete.

For Netflix, Amazon and HBO Go, see the Google TV FYI thread here which is a work in progress sumarizing movie services and how each model handles the services.

As far as I know there is no HBO Go app yet but most models can access the web page and play video but that ability may be broken or not working very well right now, I don't have HBO so I can't use the service.

3. jbrady3324

jbrady3324 New Member

H.264 and dts are most of my streams. Some are dts-ma. Does the Sony NSZ-GS7 handle that?

Well loks like the GS7 does not support dts, but supports PCM. Can it just pass thru the dts signal as pcm to my avr?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  4. ChrisG8

No, I believe the only box to date that will handle DTS is the Sony NSZ-GT1. No pass through and no decoding to output PCM with DTS as things stand now with the NSZ-GS7 and I doubt if there is ever a solution for that. The ViMu app developer has the best summary of codecs handled, rely on it.

5. jbrady3324

jbrady3324 New Member

Bummer. So besides WD Live (yuck) and my own HTCP.. I don't think there is anything that can play mkv w/ dts natively. Am I correct?

6. ChrisG8

I believe the Sony NSZ-GT1 can handle the files you have but I don't have any files with DTS to check. I do have Blu-ray discs and DVDs with most or all of the DTS variants and it handles those and I assume it also handles files as well but someone with first hand experience needs to confirm that. The NSZ-GT1 will come up short for one or two of your other requirements.

7. drhill

drhill Member

Gt1 handles DTS. DTS-MA streams play just the lossy DTS core stream. I can't remember how it handles Dolby true HD.